What Engine is in my Boat?

Didn't Chrysler marine engines turn backwards as well? I guess we don't know if this was an original Marine engine or customized. I don't recall how Chrysler labeled their marine engines that turned backwards.
On twin motors, side by side, where each one drove a prop, one turned clockwise and the other turned counterclockwise.

Single motors in boats had no reason to turn counterclockwise.

I doubt that starter has anything at all to do with anything Chrysler. It will be dedicated to whatever brand marine setup is bolted to that engine.

They supply the flywheel and housing which is what the starter has to fit.

Kevin
Never seen a 59-61 starter have you? That’s what it is. Below is a photo of my spare I had rebuild by a local rebuilder. Ready to go for when one stops working, you don’t get to be lazy and go the the corner store to buy one from china.

you see when I type things it’s because I have been there, I’m not guessing.

F7A3E7F7-FBE8-4762-8868-A40EF6F06817.jpeg

D0FFDEA7-5592-4B15-9EC1-A5085D16FF64.jpeg

ABD7122F-61CF-4406-A037-C834E64A0A05.jpeg

Last edited:
Hard to tell the stamped number on the pad. But I can see a P 41 then below and left side of pad might be 1030? Can’t see any other markings

Last edited:
That looks like the starter used in some stick hemi cars in the sixties. Also used in some early slant 6 stick cars.

If that were mine, I'd have that starter rebuilt. Yea, not as efficient as those girly starters they sell now, but the sound of that gear reduction starter is unmistakable and IMHO, would make the boat sound like it did when starting back when it was new.

View attachment 558675
You might be on to something with the stick comment. Looking as best I can through to hole in the bellhousing, the flywheel appears to be a thick one instead of a thin flex plate that you would bolt a converter to. It is Steel as well.

That looks like the starter used in some stick hemi cars in the sixties. Also used in some early slant 6 stick cars.

If that were mine, I'd have that starter rebuilt. Yea, not as efficient as those girly starters they sell now, but the sound of that gear reduction starter is unmistakable and IMHO, would make the boat sound like it did when starting back when it was new.

View attachment 558675
I have a Mitsubishi "girly" starter on my 1970 440/727/8.75 Fury convertible, a vehicle with a lot of balls. Maybe the starter is his girlfriend. She gets him excited and starts him up every time. What more can you ask of a girlfriend? :lol:

Cool Thank You.
Hi. Because the engine and starter are prior to 1962, please disregard my comments on starter compatibility.
1962 was the introduction of the Chrysler gear reduction starter which basically stayed the same through 1987.
Your starter was probably produced by Autolite.
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/post-war-pentastar-starters
Repairing vintage Chrysler - Plymouth - Dodge starters
Apologize for any misinformation.

Also, I know boats don't generally have transmissions. How does the starter set up behind your engine?
Thanks! Ben

Hi. Because the engine and starter are prior to 1962, please disregard my comments on starter compatibility.
1962 was the introduction of the Chrysler gear reduction starter which basically stayed the same through 1987.
Your starter was probably produced by Autolite.
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/post-war-pentastar-starters
Repairing vintage Chrysler - Plymouth - Dodge starters
Apologize for any misinformation.

Also, I know boats don't generally have transmissions. How does the starter set up behind your engine?
Thanks! Ben
No problem, I take all information that has been provided and lets me be more knowledgeable about the correct direction.
The starter mounts just as it would in a car. Here’s some other pictures. I took last night.
I really Appreciate everyone’s input. Thank You all. James

81C9CE7A-1D6B-4E3D-A006-BD3BA4429566.jpeg

FC8C0E9E-F216-4E61-9980-1CD3614C7589.jpeg

C0411CD6-D6E8-4DA5-8674-4111AEB4AAD6.jpeg

On my 66 Chris craft the starters both have extra shielding. Really heavy. I believe it's for safety, anything exploding in a wood boat means sinking on the lake.

On my 66 Chris craft the starters both have extra shielding. Really heavy. I believe it's for safety, anything exploding in a wood boat means sinking on the lake.
Definitely a concern. Luckily this is open air every where and gives less chance of explosion, but still, anything can happen. Old wood Chris Crafts are bad ***!

This is all really cool but I have to admit I'm kinda still marvelling at the fact this thread is about an actual boat and not some random C body lol

The old wood cruisers had 283, 327 and 350s later on. Performance boats mostly had Chrysler marine engines

This is all really cool but I have to admit I'm kinda still marvelling at the fact this thread is about an actual boat and not some random C body lol
Sorry about that, I did preface acknowledging that the site was about cars. I had just hit a wall trying to figure out what was up, and what car engine was in this boat.
I didn’t mean to muddy up the forums, just searching it seemed there were very knowledgeable people here that may be able to help with an issue I was having.
With what I’ve learned, I now have knowledge to help the next person that is in my predicament. Again, I appreciate the help that has been provided to steer me in the correct direction.
Have a great weekend, and Thank You all for your knowledge.

No no, no need to apologise! I've just heard these cars referred to as boats so many times that I thought it was funny this one's about an actual boat. And a true beauty might I add!

I probably could've worded my previous message better

No no, no need to apologise! I've just heard these cars referred to as boats so many times that I thought it was funny this one's about an actual boat. And a true beauty might I add!

I probably could've worded my previous message better
LOL, ok I get it now.
I appreciate the knowledge and Education. I’m 51 years old, been a gear head since I was 10 with my father, albeit mostly Chevrolet and Ford. Myself, I want to learn something new every day, not just Motörhead stuff. Being on here I’m adding a wealth of knowledge. Not just from this post, but perusing other posts. Awesome site.

Back