What is a fair price? 1967 Monaco 500

factory312

Reaction score
This car fell into my lap and the seller is asking me to throw a price at him. The wife wants it gone for space in the garage. White on white car, paint and interior is new. Car runs and drives, just needs some tlc. I would probably rate this a 5 on a scale of one to ten. What is the market looking like for these cars so I can make a reasonable offer? It's an AC car but owner wasn't sure on the engine when I asked. My guess its a 383 but maybe someone can identify it from the photo. I asked on the history of the car. Southern car that owners dad bought for his sister, she didn't drive it too much and that leads us to today. Hoping to make an offer soon so any input is appreciated. Its not on the market, just happened to be walking by and saw a tiny sign on the window like if they really didn't want to sell. Thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 1.50.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 1.51.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 1.51.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 1.51.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 1.52.11 PM.png

Hagerty has it for 21k for good condition but found another source for values, seems like prices are all over depending on your source.

Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 9.57.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 10.00.41 AM.png

As Danny Koker from Counting Cars would say, "what are you looking for, cash" or "what is your driving away price, cash?" Sounds like a motivated seller and do it quickly!

Price guide prices and asking prices are way higher than selling prices on most classic cars. Our C body's are no exception. Sure the cuda's, chargers, Shelby's bring big dollars but most of the regular classics don't. I would offer 6000 - 7500 for this, put a nice set of wheels and tires on it and drive it!

This car fell into my lap and the seller is asking me to throw a price at him. The wife wants it gone for space in the garage. White on white car, paint and interior is new. Car runs and drives, just needs some tlc. I would probably rate this a 5 on a scale of one to ten. What is the market looking like for these cars so I can make a reasonable offer? It's an AC car but owner wasn't sure on the engine when I asked. My guess its a 383 but maybe someone can identify it from the photo. I asked on the history of the car. Southern car that owners dad bought for his sister, she didn't drive it too much and that leads us to today. Hoping to make an offer soon so any input is appreciated. Its not on the market, just happened to be walking by and saw a tiny sign on the window like if they really didn't want to sell. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 563867

View attachment 563868

View attachment 563869

View attachment 563870

View attachment 563871

I see some overspray on the core support and elsewhere. Probably some accident damage. I would put the car between #3 and # 4 condition.

Collector Car Market sez:
1967 DODGE MONACO 500 383-325hp (8cyl-4V) AT
#4#3#2#1
2dr Htp432585001330021200

Add:
440-375hp (8cyl-4V)15%
4spd manual trans5%
Air conditioning10%
Power windows3%
Deduct:
Manual steering-5%

First one I have seen in triple WHITE, looks well-option'ed, as well. Buckets/console, factory AC, power windows...... and that's just what I can see..........

First one I have seen in triple WHITE, looks well-option'ed, as well. Buckets/console, factory AC, power windows...... and that's just what I can see..........

Yes. I agree, but an inspection is needed - especially regarding the power windows and previous accident damage. If the power windows don't work, it's a huge pain to fix them. Ask me how I know this. . .

Yes. I agree, but an inspection is needed - especially regarding the power windows and previous accident damage. If the power windows don't work, it's a huge pain to fix them. Ask me how I know this. . .
I'm doing a more comprehensive look this weekend and a test drive. I don't think it was accident damage but a painter being sloppy but you never know.

OK, here's an example of how inaccurate Haggerty's value guide is. NOT MINE - 1962 Chrysler Imperial Crown 4 door - "Many new parts, Second owner" - Columbus, OH - Not Mine - Reduced from 2020 - 9/29 REDUCED - 10/20 $8,000 This NICE Imperial has been reduced from $14000 down to $8000 and still hasn't sold. And here is what it is valued at according to Haggerty.
View attachment 563881

Yes. I don't think insurance values have anything to do with reality. . .

I'm doing a more comprehensive look this weekend and a test drive. I don't think it was accident damage but a painter being sloppy but you never know.

Mighty fine. Try and get a photo of the fender tag. That will tell the tail regarding the engine size and other options. Also, this is probably an Illinois car, so be particularly observant for rust. Hopefully, the car was never driven in bad weather. BTW, I have used Collector Car Market with the seller of a car I'm interested in. At a minimum, it provides a legitimate third party value assessment and a starting point for price negotiations.

That interior has many things white that the factory didn’t do. Like the dash pad, top of dash, and the rear speaker shelf and seat surround. That will make it hard to see out of that car on a sunny day. Try it at home, put white paper or towels on top of these surfaces and go drive. The glare is terrible.

look at the short armrest on the drivers door. And all the white paint overspray on the firewall components.

That interior has many things white that the factory didn’t do. Like the dash pad, top of dash, and the rear speaker shelf and seat surround. That will make it hard to see out of that car on a sunny day. Try it at home, put white paper or towels on top of these surfaces and go drive. The glare is terrible.

look at the short armrest on the drivers door. And all the white paint overspray on the firewall components.
Would those things normally just default to black?

Would those things normally just default to black?
Engine compartment does have a lot of overspray. Windshield wiper motor, brake booster, electrical components on firewall, radiator, hoses, wheel wells...

On a 1970 Fury with white firewall, wheel wells are black. You can remove them and repaint them easily.

For the hoses, a little brush cleaner and silver paint might do the trick. Otherwise, you can replace. Overall, you may need a few days work to make the engine compartment look nice.

Overspray would lower my bid, but not cancel my offer. I was thinking $7000-$8000

Back