What is a Sport Fury III, or a Sports Fury?

Reaction score
I see folks posting these car models, show me an emblem that says Sports Fury or a car with Sport Fury III on it anyplace.

So then the last photos comes up, looks just as hoakey as the add on side trim.

BED350A1-D977-455D-8B79-D9F6808889CE.jpeg

5FE8C710-9B86-407A-8A17-1CB9EC1930D5.jpeg

34913529-4D62-4F07-8607-C76A71079EB6.jpeg

ED3CF643-4F14-4D10-A897-9539731CE0BB.jpeg

85654F5B-1F1D-48C8-9A09-DD35F0B2AD66.jpeg

CAB3634D-3907-450E-BE7A-35AC80967979.jpeg

In the beginning, there was Plaza, Savoy, and Belvidere. Think 1955. The next year the new high-performance Plymouth, with 2x4bbls was a 2-dr hardtop named "Fury" with gold trim on the sides. As years evolved, "Fury" was blended into the Plymouth product line as the top of the range, but without the top engine option as standard equipment.

In 1962, the first "Sport Fury" was born. With two brake and one back-up light on each side, similar to the Impala SuperSport, which was its competitor. Along with the Ford Galaxie 500/XL. Each of the low-priced three had a bucket seat "sports" model.

In 1965, "Fury" became the full-sized Plymouth main model. With Fury I, Fury II, and Fury III main models. The Sport Fury continued at the top of the range, as the sporty Plymouth. Joined by the "VIP" in 1966, to compete with the 1965 Galaxie 500 LTD and mid-1965 Chevy Caprice, as "luxury" low-priced three models.

By 1965, the Belvidere continued as the mid-size Plymouth, although it was still on the same platform as before, which became the B-body platform in '65.

"Savoy" and "Plaza" were upscale New York City hotels in earlier times.

Through all of this, "Fury" and "Sport Fury" were unique models. NO blending other than they were part of the "Fury" range.

The name plate images are from different model years. The "Sport Fury" and "Fury III" combination was something an owner did rather than something Chrysler Corp did, I suspect. Sales brochures and parts books should validate that, one way or the other.

In that particular picture, by the time the model name got to be IN the fender, rather than ON the fender, the font for the script had changed. The "Sport Fury" script is from an earlier model than the "Fury III" is, to me.

Just some recollections and observations,
CBODY67

The 1959 Plymouth had a Sport Fury model even though it did not say it anywhere on the car. My older brother bought and ordered a brand new 1959 Sport Fury convertible in I think Feb. of 59. It had the 361 engine with 305 hp and a torqueflite transmission. It came with a little plaque that said "made especially for" by Plymouth". You were supposed to have your name engraved on it.

Further research indicates that in 1969, the fender side emblems were "Fury i", "Fury II", and "Fury III" only. The Sport Fury was similar to the Dodge Polara 500 model in that it had factory bucket seats, but the exterior ornamentation consisted of the Red, White, and Blue ornaments near the C-pillar area. BUT its VIN designation was "PH", whereas Fury IIIs were "PM", "Fury II" was "PL", and "Fury I" was "PE". VIPs also had the same fender side plate (part number) as the Fury III did, but with special VIP interior items, which got it VIN "PP". I found these things in the Body Sheet Metal section of the 1969 Chrysler Parts Manual.

So by 1969, the only way to tell a Fury III from a Sport Fury was the bucket seat interior and the R-W-B ornaments under the side quarter window. Other than the VIN. So, technically, in some respects, ornamentation would indicate it was "Fury III Sport Fury", just without the ornamentation indicated in the last picture, or a VIN reflecting "Sport Fury" as an option package rather than the unique model it was.

I'll admit that I was paying more attention to Fairlane 500s/Galaxie 500s and the fastback '63 500/XLs back then than Plymouths, so I might not be quite as up on them as I probably need to be, but I do still have a general knowledge of them from reading sales brochures I got a new car shows I badgered my parents to take me to.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

right up there with all the chevy pickup trucks for sale with the optional Corvette engine

Last edited:
Sport Fury III. I see lots of them.

View attachment 649775
LOL! Yeah. The red white and blue bars mean its a Sport Fury III. Perhaps, since the 67 Sport Fury is the only one with the red white and blue bars in the vertical position (resembling a Roman numeral three) then maybe 67 was the only year the Sport Fury was actually a Sport Fury III.
1710458397758.png
1710458488926.png

1710458616322.png
1710458692882.png

Last edited:
"If we willingly accept terms like 'radio delete' and 'posi' why should we not embrace Sport Fury III also?"

Understand your point, I do not accept it.
However I do find myself saying Cruise control, not speed control. I know better.

right up there with all the chevy's for sale with the optional Corvette engine
Well, the standard Corvette V-8, whether 283, 327, or 350 was always an engine option in normal Chevrolets. Same horsepower in all places. Now, the higher horsepower motors, past the 327/350 were also in some normal Chevrolets, usually Chevy II Novas, too.

As to the Sport Fury IIIs, if Chevrolet had been doing that way, it would have been a Fury III with the Sport Fury option. As they did with Camaros and the Z/28 option package. Nothing special in the VIN to denote such, which is why there are a few minor things to look for in verifying a true Z/28 in the 1967-1981 generations and then until the IROC-Z got its own VIN designation.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Sometimes we have allowed generic terms to replace the marketing names of things. If you mentioned "Auto Pilot" to a younger person, they might associate that with Tesla. Chevrolet called it "Cruisemaster" and Ford had their own name. Using these marketing names gave the impression that such generic things were special to the particular brand. Mention "Sure Grip" and somebody might perceive it is some new traction compound at the drag strip starting line or something you put on a screw head to remove the stripped-head screw from a piece of wood.

Funny thing is that "radio delete" has been used for vehicles where radios were OPTIONAL, as heaters were OPTIONAL, too.

Now, if you want a very rare vehicle, look for a '57 Plymouth Savoy 2-dr hardtop with ANY engine in it!

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Well, the standard Corvette V-8, whether 283, 327, or 350 was always an engine option in normal Chevrolets. Same horsepower in all places. Now, the higher horsepower motors, past the 327/350 were also in some normal Chevrolets, usually Chevy II Novas, too.

As to the Sport Fury IIIs, if Chevrolet had been doing that way, it would have been a Fury III with the Sport Fury option. As they did with Camaros and the Z/28 option package. Nothing special in the VIN to denote such, which is why there are a few minor things to look for in verifying a true Z/28 in the 1967-1981 generations and then until the IROC-Z got its own VIN designation.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

the point is they don't need to advertise it as a Corvette engine if it were a standard option.

Back