NOT MINE What is it about these cars....???

69monaco

Reaction score
For that money ( i don,t have it ) i could buy a orig 6bbl or hemi car....i don,t get it that these ugly bronco,s goes for these prices!!!!

I think it’s all about the memories and the fellowship. If enough people who want to relive the former and want the latter have money, prices go up. Sometimes, a lot. Total Bronco output may have been high, but I’ll bet most were driven into the ground, so there should be rather few left. Combining price-inelastic demand with low available supply is what primes prices to go way up.

PS: as an as aside, don’t look in a mirror. How many “regular” people think C-bodies are ugly/too big/not sporty/boring/whatever? We as a group don’t care, like their looks, want big and comfy cruisers, and don’t need validation from strangers. But to B- or E-body folks, we may look like those Bronco buyers do to you.

$125K buys a number of nice Imperials, or a '57 300C (with a lot of change left over), or might even be enough for a Ghia limo...

Ford amped them up to gain interest prior to the release of the current Bronco. They sponsored American Pickers and would have them swoon all over any they'd find on the show creating an artificial buzz. As I recall, the originals were not good vehicles. Poor quality, horrible handling and very prone to rust. Fords attempt at Jeep but not nearly the off-road capability.

I was just going to say what @68 4spd Fury just mentioned. When Ford was about to release the new one, Barrett-Jackson was hyping the crap out of the old ones as well. About two years before the announcement, my boss bought a mid-70's model for around $7k. It looked great but needed a ton of work. He sold it to the shop that was doing the work as it didn't make financial sense at the time. I think they held on to it, then dumped it for a HUGE gain when all the hype started.

A friend of mine locally sold his '67 Bronco for $75K. I remember him buying that about a dozen years ago for $5K. It was a very solid TX Panhandle Ford that probably never saw offroad; other than going fishing at the local reservoir.

Ford amped them up to gain interest prior to the release of the current Bronco. They sponsored American Pickers and would have them swoon all over any they'd find on the show creating an artificial buzz. As I recall, the originals were not good vehicles. Poor quality, horrible handling and very prone to rust. Fords attempt at Jeep but not nearly the off-road capability.
The Broncos were introduced in ‘66…probably more mimicking the IH Scout which was introduced in ‘61. They look very similar. IH responded later with the Scout II that mimicked the Bronco. These were the predecessors of todays modern small SUV. Here’s my Scout.. “Old Bumpy”

F33C4EB1-6310-4BB1-B9AC-1A4D3262BEFC.jpeg

I don't get it either. I am not a purest when it comes to any short wheeled truck my personal preference would be a modern chassis. I would like to drive it over 50 mph and not feel like I am going to die.

I think it’s all about the memories and the fellowship. If enough people who want to relive the former and want the latter have money, prices go up. Sometimes, a lot. Total Bronco output may have been high, but I’ll bet most were driven into the ground, so there should be rather few left. Combining price-inelastic demand with low available supply is what primes prices to go way up.

PS: as an as aside, don’t look in a mirror. How many “regular” people think C-bodies are ugly/too big/not sporty/boring/whatever? We as a group don’t care, like their looks, want big and comfy cruisers, and don’t need validation from strangers. But to B- or E-body folks, we may look like those Bronco buyers do to you.
I totally get what you're saying, but that is an incredible amount of money. My preference would be a 70's Ramcharger or Trail Duster. For simaliar sentimental reasons. I nearly scored a decent 2wd one for about $1500 a couple of years ago.

2-dr-convertible-pop-top-mega-rare-12-door-model-2.jpg

I'd love to find a nice RC or a TrailDuster again. I had one about 12 years ago that was a solid OK rig, but sold it about six months later in favor of a new shiny object.

I don't get it either. I am not a purest when it comes to any short wheeled truck my personal preference would be a modern chassis. I would like to drive it over 50 mph and not feel like I am going to die.
:rofl:
I've owned a couple of '80s Landcruisers, love them, but a person's spine is not designed to handle those suspensions.

I prefer my RamCharger with it's 440. Looks so much better than those ferds and cheby's.

OldComputerHardDrive 3963.jpg

My grandfather had a blue '67 Bronco that I rode in on South Padre Island when I was probably 4. I worked at a body shop for 16 years for a guy that was a Scout II and Terra nut. We rebuilt many of them. The front body mounts were always rusted out. We rebuilt one Gen 1 Bronco and I believe it was a better vehicle.

I have had my '83 Ramcharger for many years. Had crazy fun with this truck.

IMG_20190121_004039246.jpg

We're in a period where some 70s 4x4s are asking silly money - for the nice ones.
Scouts, Jeep Grand Wagoneers and Cherokees, 80s-90s Toyota Landcruisers, 4Runners, and box-style Chevy Blazers.
All have a cult following, apparently.

Prices of any of them go up once the OEMs release a new version (the Toyota FJ40 is another example) or make a movie (like Starsky and Hutch).

Well, all except Dodge versions - they never seem to get the $$ buzz like other brands.

Back