What is the best way to re- detail hubcaps?

HWYCRZR

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
As, I am looking at my hubcaps, and want them to look brand new, I was wondering how did they detail them in the factory? My assumption is that they would have made some sort of automated stencil or die that was shaped to the dish and ribs. In my mind I envision them on a conveyor or rack system, mated up with the stencil, and then a quick spray of paint...... If anyone knows, let me know.
Now to the real question. Beyond painstakingly masking off each "spoke" does anyone have a better method to make hubcaps new again? and does anyone know the proper colors? of the black and orange on the hub caps? (1968)

IMG_4172.JPG
IMG_4173.JPG

Hand detailing is going to be the best method, the black was originally satin black and the orange was bright red.

1. I'd clean it thoroughly with "0000" Steel Wool obtained from local parts store.
  2. Mask over all areas other than those to be painted
  3. Use a Q-Tip with some Vaseline and coat the top of the ribs where "Black" will be painted
  4. Paint areas & let dry
  5. Unmask covered areas & wipe off Vaseline
  6. Detail as needed

Makes me feel lucky that the Imperial covers came apart but still took 2 days.

Thanks for the tips. I like hearing about all different methods on a number of things, and then experiment.
The way technology is changing, it probably isn't to far out to be able to 3D scan something like this and use a vinyl Cricket type machine to cut out a self adhering stencil. :rolleyes: Some of those Lidar cameras that are used in mapping construction sites and interior building features are pretty accurate and provide an electronic file that could be put in a program like Sketch-up, but I don't have a $100K worth of that type of equipment laying around.....I was just dreaming, now back to reality.