What Is This Called (71 Imperial 4Dr) (Rag Joint)

Retired_JC

Reaction score
I have a bit too much play in my steering so I was going to adjust it and take some out. When I started checking the column I noticed excess movement towards the firewall side and saw this part seemed to have broke. I haven't pulled my tech manuals
yet to check but thought, maybe someone here can tell me what this part is called so I can check out the repair on it. Hopefully the picture (a 6 in 1 shot) will show so you can see it.

Thanks

6-Picts.jpg

Thanks for replys. The rag joint/steering coupler looks like you may be right. I know the 6 pack picture shot is small so I'll put two larger ones here. Is the Lares 220 the part we're looking at?
Oh, and would the one at RockAuto require a heat shield separate?

Coupler1-is it.JPG

Coupler2-is it.JPG

Yes, that is the Lares 220, it is the only joint Chrysler ever used that looks like that.
Meaning - if it looks like that, no need to take measurements,, etc - it's the right one.

You can find $150-200 NORS ones on ebay, and they'll be at least 25 years old.
The Lares is made in China, but it's new. And Lares seems to have a decent reputation. The key to getting good parts out of China is good specs and quality control. I suspect Lares has done that.

The heat shield is to block heat radiated from the exh manifold. The Slabs used a clamshell-looking thing, IIRC the Fuseys use a cylindrically-shaped one.
You could likely make one from a piece of exh tubing, by cutting slots to make tabs you can bend inward, with holes to hit the mtg bolts that have the cotter pins.
Do a couple trail runs with a soup can?

Yes, that is the Lares 220, it is the only joint Chrysler ever used that looks like that.
Meaning - if it looks like that, no need to take measurements,, etc - it's the right one.

You can find $150-200 NORS ones on ebay, and they'll be at least 25 years old.
The Lares is made in China, but it's new. And Lares seems to have a decent reputation. The key to getting good parts out of China is good specs and quality control. I suspect Lares has done that.

The heat shield is to block heat radiated from the exh manifold. The Slabs used a clamshell-looking thing, IIRC the Fuseys use a cylindrically-shaped one.
You could likely make one from a piece of exh tubing, by cutting slots to make tabs you can bend inward, with holes to hit the mtg bolts that have the cotter pins.
Do a couple trail runs with a soup can?

Thank you, I did order one from Rock Auto, I should get that this week. The heat shield looks like it will have to be home-made at this point as I can't find that anywhere, used or new. I have
seen pictures of one so I should be able to get a pattern/shape from those when the new joint comes.

Follow-Up: We installed the new rag joint/Steering Coupler and it does steer quite a bit better, the forums here helped a lot so thank you on that, BUT.....
There's still some play in the wheel and it makes me wonder if the Steering Gear Box (with the adjuster on it) could be going bad and how to tell if it is?
Basically, I'm trying to trouble shoot where the play is at and how to eliminate it. I'm also still looking for a heat shield for the rag joint without the need
to prefab one. Any thoughts/ideas on a direction to go?

Thank You

Have a buddy turn teh steering wheel, back and forth, stopping at where the wheel just starts to hit resistance - the 'free play' area.
Stand by the fender so you can see thru the windshield to see how far they are turning it, familiarizing as if you were driving the car)
While this is going on, look at the coupler at the input to the steering box (has an orange seal under a flat cover). These can wear out.
Also watch the Pitman arm down below, and see if it's starting to rotate or not.
And make sure the steering gearbox isn't squirming around on the frame due to loose bolts. Experienced that on 1 car.

There were a few good gearbox discussions on here about adjusting.
I learned some things in there (that there are 2 adjustments?) but I don't remember enough to repeat the info.

1692323758608.png

And

Back