WANTED What is this part called? I need one for my 1966 Plymouth Sport Fury Convertible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retroman

Reaction score
Contact seller
C-Buddies:

A question for the collective wisdom found on this site...What is the nomenclature or popular name of the strip that attaches the leading edge of the boot cover to the back of the seat on a 66 Sportfury convertible? My 65 has a metal strip that attaches the boot cover to the back of the seat to keep it from filling with air going down the road. My 66 is missing this metal strip. We are ready to install the new boot cover but found the strip is AWOL. I need the name of it or a part number and if someone has one for sale would appreciate the chance to purchase the part.

Thank you,
Retroman

C-Buddies:

A question for the collective wisdom found on this site...What is the nomenclature or popular name of the strip that attaches the leading edge of the boot cover to the back of the seat on a 66 Sportfury convertible? My 65 has a metal strip that attaches the boot cover to the back of the seat to keep it from filling with air going down the road. My 66 is missing this metal strip. We are ready to install the new boot cover but found the strip is AWOL. I need the name of it or a part number and if someone has one for sale would appreciate the chance to purchase the part.

Thank you,
Retroman
Little confused by your description. Can you attach picture of it’s location. I have my 65 apart and have all the pieces si I might be able to identify for you. I know two salvage yards that have two tops and hardware in tack. Are you looking for part for the top of the seat or attached to the body?

Retroman, is this the piece you're looking for? I had a spare but someone else here needed it and beat you to the punch.

Mudeblue, any chance those verts have a set of the convertible top to rear window trim? I circled them on the pic. The tabs are broken on mine and I'm needing a set. Not tryin to hijack!

s-l1600.jpg

Gents: I think we are on the trail. Yes it looks like the long strip attached to the back of the seat in the image Clay Harrison provided. In another thread referenced below dated 19 Jul 2019, Evan Jansen called it a Boot Rail. The boot screws into this section that I am after to affix it to the car. Unfortunately, I am not near my cars at present to get a photo of the 65. Mudeblue, you say you have a possible in a yard in AZ that would have it for the 66? Thank you so much. The power of this forum. Wow. Thank you.

Best,
Retroman

Gents: I think we are on the trail. Yes it looks like the long strip attached to the back of the seat in the image Clay Harrison provided. In another thread referenced below dated 19 Jul 2019, Evan Jansen called it a Boot Rail. The boot screws into this section that I am after to affix it to the car. Unfortunately, I am not near my cars at present to get a photo of the 65. Mudeblue, you say you have a possible in a yard in AZ that would have it for the 66? Thank you so much. The power of this forum. Wow. Thank you.

Best,
Retrom

Retroman, is this the piece you're looking for? I had a spare but someone else here needed it and beat you to the punch.

Mudeblue, any chance those verts have a set of the convertible top to rear window trim? I circled them on the pic. The tabs are broken on mine and I'm needing a set. Not tryin to hijack!

View attachment 532094
Looks different than my 65 SF? My boot attaches to the back (body) with snaps and the front attaches to the top of back seat with snaps. The part you circled does not have snaps and almost looks like what I have on my 66 GTO which is by velcro (lousy set-up). Is the part you circled part of the seat, hard to tell? The short piece of trim you are showing on the side was there last time I was there on one of them. Let me know if you need and I will find out what they want for $'s.

With regard to your question "set of convertible top to rear window trim" I have attached a picture I took some time ago when I was at the salvage yard and suspect they are still there (I took the picture for reference and no particular part.) I will be visiting there in a week or two so if I can be more help, let me know? The picture your showing, what or where is that at? If it is salvage, might have a part or two I need!

IMG_1048.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if it’s the same but I have one from a ‘67 Imp available.
D59A5630-5F50-43B1-AEFF-A4B17B2844B7.jpeg
2330B496-8320-4506-B7F4-61872ADE6F7A.jpeg

Now that gentlemen is a question that has been on my list for a long time. My 67 300 convertible has that "rail" affixed to the back of the seat but what does the corresponding "female" end look like that would have to be attached to the tonneau cover? My cover has no snaps on it for the length of the rail, it just flaps like the dickens in the wind! Would there not have to be some of insert attached to the cover that slid into the slot on the rail prior to snapping down the edges and the rear? Here is mine. Cam Shaft

IMG_0007[1].JPG

The tonneau cover is supposed to have a rubber strip that slides into that groove. It's a bugger to get it in there. My feeling is that the designers intended it to be semi-permanently installed and the cover stored in the well when the top is up. I don't do that because my cover is white and would get all dirty lying in the well. Some people throw it up over the back seat when the top is up which is good if no one is sitting there.

The tonneau cover is supposed to have a rubber strip that slides into that groove. It's a bugger to get it in there. My feeling is that the designers intended it to be semi-permanently installed and the cover stored in the well when the top is up. Some people throw it up over the back seat when the top is up which is good if no one is sitting there.
that’s what I do in my Challenger.

Now that gentlemen is a question that has been on my list for a long time. My 67 300 convertible has that "rail" affixed to the back of the seat but what does the corresponding "female" end look like that would have to be attached to the tonneau cover? My cover has no snaps on it for the length of the rail, it just flaps like the dickens in the wind! Would there not have to be some of insert attached to the cover that slid into the slot on the rail prior to snapping down the edges and the rear? Here is mine. Cam Shaft

View attachment 532145
My 66 GTO is the same. It has a rubber strip that slides into the grove and is in the shape of a “T” with the top of the T being the “female” (or birther) part of Velcro and the boot has the counter part being male (or non-birther) of of the velcro (if you reverse these, they probably become transgender). I looked on the internet and it can be found on one site called The Parts Place, 36” long for $24. As I said before, my 65 has snaps, front and back, and much better set up.

Ok, that makes sense, but how is the rubber strip attached to the front of the tonneau cover? Glue, or sewn in or? I would love to be able to anchor it to the back of the seat somehow, but there is no where to install the snaps.
CamShaft

Looks different than my 65 SF? My boot attaches to the back (body) with snaps and the front attaches to the top of back seat with snaps. The part you circled does not have snaps and almost looks like what I have on my 66 GTO which is by velcro (lousy set-up). Is the part you circled part of the seat, hard to tell? The short piece of trim you are showing on the side was there last time I was there on one of them. Let me know if you need and I will find out what they want for $'s.

With regard to your question "set of convertible top to rear window trim" I have attached a picture I took some time ago when I was at the salvage yard and suspect they are still there (I took the picture for reference and no particular part.) I will be visiting there in a week or two so if I can be more help, let me know? The picture your showing, what or where is that at? If it is salvage, might have a part or two I need!

View attachment 532135
Mudeblue, the part for Retroman's car fastens to the back of the rear seat. it was the same on my parts convertible also.

And I'd be interested in the two window trim pieces if you run across them bud.

Ok, that makes sense, but how is the rubber strip attached to the front of the tonneau cover? Glue, or sewn in or? I would love to be able to anchor it to the back of the seat somehow, but there is no where to install the snaps.
CamShaft
My seats have been reupholstered and are being stored pending installation when car completed. I will try an get a picture and send.

Mudeblue, the part for Retroman's car fastens to the back of the rear seat. it was the same on my parts convertible also.

And I'd be interested in the two window trim pieces if you run across them bud.
More specific; window trim on window OR trim o/s windows on body OR for lack of a better term, "S" pieces between the convertible back trim and side trim which is the one you circled in your picture, right side, trim outside window on body just ahead of the "S" trim. Last time I was at the salvage yard they were there but not in the picture I previously sent! What are you willing to pay because I will purchase and send you at cost plus postage. I bought one piece just outside the rear window quarter panel, nice, and it was $50; bought it for a spare because mine was loose and if I ever lost it, bad news. It was there for the taking. Never pass stuff up like that!

More specific; window trim on window OR trim o/s windows on body OR for lack of a better term, "S" pieces between the convertible back trim and side trim which is the one you circled in your picture, right side, trim outside window on body just ahead of the "S" trim. Last time I was at the salvage yard they were there but not in the picture I previously sent! What are you willing to pay because I will purchase and send you at cost plus postage. I bought one piece just outside the rear window quarter panel, nice, and it was $50; bought it for a spare because mine was loose and if I ever lost it, bad news. It was there for the taking. Never pass stuff up like that!
Again apologizing for the hijack but if they are in decent shape use your own judgement and I will reimburse. I'm not in a position to haggle and I appreciate the favor.

Getting back to the original intent of the thread, Retroman, have you located the part you were looking for?

Gentlemen:

I wish to apologize for going MIA on this thread. Work took over and became all consuming but this weekend I have finally been able to get back to the garage and check out the two Sport Furies. The 1965 has the same 9 hole u track that Detmat was kind enough to post an image of on the 18 of May and the 1966 is missing that but the back of the back seat hard board has 9 holes waiting for the same u track. So mystery solved as to if it was the same part across those years which I believe it is. Detmat if you still have it I would be very grateful if I could purchase it from you. Thanks for everyone's patience and information.

All the best,
Retroman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back