What Motor is this?

And yes the car is unmolested was an original owner car or bought in the 60s likely anyhow

So I was able to turn the motor with a breaker bar at the crank so I'm going to go ahead an change the oil clean the fuel intake and try and fire her up. This car was parked when running in the 70s and it it marks 65k miles so theres a good chance she will fire up. It will be an interesting thing to try lol

Might be a good idea to pull the plugs and give it a squirt of light oil in each cylinder prior to starting. Your gas tank has probably turned to sludge after that many years, so hook a fresh fuel supply to the fuel pump to save trashing the pump and carb. Points will need to be replaced or at least filed to be sure that they have good contact.

Dave

Marvel Mystery Oil and Shell Premium unleaded will clean the fuel system and engine. Shell has Vpower and it has more detergent addditives than other premium fuel

The engine number would be stamped on a machined boss on the left (driver's) side of the engine on the front of the block, just below the head. The U.S. 318 would have "R318"or R31" while the Canadian 313 would be "RV". Casting numbers were often used for more than one model year so they cannot always be used to identify the exact year.

The letter "R" was Chrysler Engineering speak for the 1961 model year.

If it is something else, let us know.

I'm thinking I heard somewhere that the 313 was also used for industrial/marine applications. When I was drilling we had a rig mounted on a track machine built by Bombardier the model was called "Muskeg Carrier" similar to this but no cab.
182960228_336207_lp.jpg

Yes. Chrysler of Canada built engines for industrial, marine and agricultural needs. Engines included the 303 (1956-57), 313 (1957-1964) then 318 V8 (starting 1965). Also had 251 flathead sixes and the slant six engines.

John Deere, Massey-Harris/Ferguson, Cockshutt, and others used Chrysler engines in tractors, combines, etc. Bombardier was one company that used them for various industrial uses.

And engines were shipped to other countries - Chrysler Australia used the 303 (briefly) then the 313 in their 1957-1963 Chrysler Royal series (1953 body with 1956 quarter panels and fenders). In the UK Bristol used the 313 from 1961 to 1965 (series 407 and 408). The Bristol 409 and 410 (1965-1969) used Canadian 318 engines.

The British whodunit series about Inspector Lynley has the lead character driving a 1969 Bristol 410.

Back