What rubber to use for exhaust hangers?

Henrius

Reaction score
The OEM tail pipe hanger for my 1965 Fury III broke. The U clamp around the pipe was suspended by some sort of thick rubber. I know the chance of getting a similar new hanger is zilch. I can drill out the rivet and just put another piece of rubber in, if I could find the material they used. I took it to a muffler shop today and they had no idea of what to use. Closest thing would probably be cutting a tire apart.

Anyone have an idea where I could get a thick flap piece of rubber that I could use to repair the hanger!

I’ve seen it mentioned here to use a mud flap piece. I was thinking of trying conveyor belt strip as I have some laying around the shop. Good luck.

Any type of rubber with corded material through it, mud flap, conveyor belt as mentioed above even a horse stall mat.
Or just go to an auto store and get a clamp that has the rubber with it, Amazoon has them too.
It has a rubber isolator between body and clamp.
Good luck!
IMG_3499.JPG

There are some universal pipe hangers for the main, post-muffler area, pipes which attach to the floorpan and have two strips of rubber going to the bottom where the clamp is. A bit flimsier than the OEM rubber strips, but useable and should be available. There should be a section in the back of the Walker Exhaust website with hangers in it . . . or find a page out of their catalog which still has the muffler part numbers and such, which could also have the hangers, too. NAPA used to sell Walker Exhaust items, so that might be a place to have a catalog to look, I suspect.

The comment about a cut-up tire sidewall seems to be pretty accurate, but using a truck mudflap material might be too thick and stiff.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I have an NOS hanger..upon closer inspection itis a piece if a tire sidewall!!
I kid you not!
So grab a scrap tire and start cutting! Lol!!

Used tire sidewall was my plan, but haven’t done it yet until I find the correct style rivets.
After soaking the old rubber on my current ones in ammonia they seem to be rejuvenated. On the internet it says that the ammonia re-moisturizes the rubber and brings back the flexibility. Not sure of the science behind it, but seemed to help.

Used tire sidewall was my plan, but haven’t done it yet until I find the correct style rivets.
After soaking the old rubber on my current ones in ammonia they seem to be rejuvenated. On the internet it says that the ammonia re-moisturizes the rubber and brings back the flexibility. Not sure of the science behind it, but seemed to help.
Very info, I wonder if this would if this would work on brittle floor mats. Then the question would be, how to get the ammonia smell out of the mats if it did work.

I think I mixed about 1/2 ammonia 1/2 warm water. And let it soak a couple of days. I did have a lid on my soaking tub. I took it out and rinsed it off. After it was rinsed I didn’t notice any smell.

Back