What Shop Can Reinstall Trim?

Henrius

Reaction score
My unfortunate 1965 Plymouth Fury has been marooned in a restoration shop for nearly two years during COVID. All mechanical work has been done on this freshly-painted car.

I got a call today saying the owner wants it out of his shop, and I need to find a body shop to reinstall all the trim. Some trim was straightened, and some is new. Supposedly they found all the correct trim clips.

I was surprised the shop, ClassicAutoSmith.com, would not complete the job by installing body trim. But they don't paint cars, and say reinstalling trim is body work. They say it is easy to bend trim or break body clips. The only body shops they deal with only work on high-end European cars.

The car is in Atlanta, but I would be willing to ship it elsewhere. Anyone know of a shop who will do this sort of thing? I am settling an estate right now and don't have the time to learn how and do it myself. I took the trim off long ago for the first time in the life of the car, and remember how hard it was trying not to bend or break anything.

Any help would be appreciated. This car has always been garaged and will be a real looker when all the fancy trim is back on. It was my grandmother's car that we drove around St. Louis when I was a kid!

Last edited:
This sounds kind of flakey, with all due respect. A restoration shop that can't do full restorations? What was the original understanding/contract when you took the car to them initially? Management change? BTAIM

Bad thing, to me, is that many body shops don't desire to finish what somebody else started, of which they have NO knowledge of how things came apart or how they go back together. Seems like there are some larger Mopar salvage yards in GA who might know of somebody who might finish the car at a somewhat reasonable price?

Just be SURE you get ALL of everything that you took to them when you retrieve the car!

Hope you find a good shop to finish the job,
CBODY67

I called a friend in Atlanta who restores 50's and 60's Cadillacs. He said you should call Daniel Anderson at Resurrected Garage. The number is (706) 870-1323. Tell him "Doc Sab" (Chris Sabatino) sent you.

Good luck!

Aaron

TLC restorations milton wisconsin. Great guys, great work, fair price. Period. A bit far but I think they might be able to pick it up too. Ask for Rip.

called a friend in Atlanta who restores 50's and 60's Cadillacs. He said you should call Daniel Anderson at Resurrected Garage. The number is (706) 870-1323. Tell him "Doc Sab" (Chris Sabatino) sent you.
Thanks for the tip. I will call Monday.

This sounds kind of flakey, with all due respect. A restoration shop that can't do full restorations? What was the original understanding/contract when you took the car to them initially? Management change? BTAIM

Bad thing, to me, is that many body shops don't desire to finish what somebody else started, of which they have NO knowledge of how things came apart or how they go back together. Seems like there are some larger Mopar salvage yards in GA who might know of somebody who might finish the car at a somewhat reasonable price?

Just be SURE you get ALL of everything that you took to them when you retrieve the car!
To be honest, I removed the trim from the car prior to taking it to them, so I could send it to be straightened by Iverson Automotive. George has a very long wait time to get things done.

The restoration shop farms out painting and body work because they say paint solvents open up a OSHA and EPA can of worms. I had the car painted before bringing it to the shop. My wish was they could complete all the mechanical and under dash work, and put the whole thing back together.

But they classify reinstalling trim as body work and don't want to do it. The trim in the back is easy to install, it is the side pieces that can be tricky.

So many friends have had cars stuck in restoration shops. They hit a tough problem, and just let the car sit while they are working on someone else's car. It did not help that I paid ahead and had a credit with them, so they had no incentive to finish the job.

Got the shop to put all the trim on except the strips at the bottom of the door windows for a 2-door hardtop. They need about 30 of these clips. Size is length 11/16 width 5/16 stud hole 1/4. The shop doesn't know where to get them. Do any of you have any sources?

Thanks for all the help so far. Which thread should I put this request under beside this one?

IMG_4013.jpg

IMG_4014.jpg

I am also restoring a 65 but after 2 years had to move it to another shop because it wasn’t getting done; dealing with a crook to put it mildly. In any event, all my trim clips, and I mean all disappeared so I am both trying to determine what I need and where to get it. I fortunately have all the trim. I found a company online that you might try called Auto Fastco which looks like they have an extensive selection provided you know what your looking for.

Back