What to ask for when rebuilding a 383

A lot of guys will spend a lot of resources and time on making the engine more radical, but neglect the transmission. I am not sure about a 1968 383-2 bbl in a C body, for example, but in 1970 and 1971, those engines were always combined with a 727 torqueflite with a low stall speed torque converter. This means something like maybe an 1800 RPM stall speed. With a more performance oriented engine, you will want to get the revs up into a higher RPM band off the line to make use of the improved performance. This means, it would make sense to consider a higher stall speed torque converter, say around 2200 RPM to improve off the line performance. Otherwise, it will still probably feel like a dog despite all the upgrades you are mentioning. In 1970-1, C body models equipped with a 4-bbl carburetor, high performance exhaust manifolds, and a 3.23 axle ratio etc but were also equipped with the higher stall speed converter. That latter change made all the difference to how the car felt overall. To neglect that issue would be a big mistake and you will wonder why you spent all those resources with minimal gain.

Howdy and welcome!

By '68, the 383 2bbl was really a low compression 4bbl motor. Heads should have the larger 1.74" exhaust valves. The cam is the 256/260 cam that was the 4bbl cam for many years, as the prior 2bbl cam was the 252/252 .390" lift cam. So, in that respect, all you really need to be at the '68 383 4bbl specs, other than the higher compression ratio, is the 4bbl, intake manifold, and dual exhaust system.

Ignition upgrade, hard to go wrong with the Chrysler Mopar Perf electronic ignition kit, just use a normal non-Orange control box. It's already got the fast advance curve in it. Easy to install, too. You can add an MSD box to it, too. AND if it matters, it looks totally stock, like the factory electronic ignition did in '72 and later.

Surface and clean-up the ports in the heads. Gasket-match the intake ports, clean the burrs and such from the ports, etc. Nothing special. Same on the exhaust side. It's possible that the guides will have some wear on them, especially #7. Do the bronze helicoil guide upgrade and then the wear interface will be the bronze helicoil, which can be replaced later on. A quality chrome stem undercut head valve should work very well. Pretty simple and easy to do. Use the FACTORY-style valve guide oil seals, or upgrade to the orange silicone versions (big block Chevy, as I recall, then trim them to length).

Intake manifold? Probably the Edelbrock dual plane for the 383. Might even still have a Chrysler part number on it! That factory part number, cast into it, made it "stock" in the eyes of NHRA as a "stock part", so it was legal in the stock drag race classes . . . and better than the factory cast iron item.

Carb? The factory 4bbl carb would have been either a Carter AFB or Holley 4160, either one about 550-600 cfm. The Edelbrock AVS-2 650 cfm would be a good choice, I believe, or the Street Demon 650 cfm carb. The AVS-2 has been on sale at Summit Racing for the last few weeks.

The self-learning EFI is a neat deal to do, IF you want to spend the money. For my orientation, a well-tuned carb is almost as good as EFI in performance. The EFI might have a little sharper throttle response, maybe even a little increase in mpg, BUT it's still a "fuel/air mixer". Analog or electronic? Your judgment call.

Bearings and rings? Bearings need to be at least "OEM-level quality" in material. Some of the factory 4bbl bearings were "Tri-Metal" rather than just normal babbit. Rings? Same at least "OEM-level quality". Many of the 4bbls used Chrome-Moly compression rings up into the middle '70s. These rings will need a slicker/smoother surface to work against than regular rings might, which means a finer grit final finish hone on the cylinders.

Pistons? This can be a little problematic as the pistons I've found in online catalogs are typically the lower-compression versions, flat top, which fit 2bbl and 4bbl from about '60-'71 model years. Use the casting number and compression of your existing 9.2 CR 2bbl pistons as a guide to ensure you don't end up with something lower than 9.0 CR. The OTHER determiner of CR is the head gasket thickness. Most of the stock steel shim gaskets, back then, were about .020" thick, but the composition gaskets now available are more like .045"-.060" thick, which can lower the CR by about .5 point. So get all of this figures out with your machine shop BEFORE you purchase pistons. There are some formulas to figure CR. You'll also need to know the actual "cc" of the combustion chamber volume on the heads you'll use, too.

On the intake manifold/valley pan gasket, IF you decide to upgrade to some of the Edelbrock aluminum heads, there's a gasket kit used on 440 6-pack motors ONLY which consists of two pair of paper gaskets. Maybe two kits of 2 gaskets each? The purpose of these gaskets is to provide an interface to keep the metal from the valley pan gasket from eating into the aluminum of the intake manifold and compromising the sealing surface in the process. Cast iron heads? Just use one pair on the aluminum intake manifold side.

Now, I've left the cam selection to toward the end. ONE reason is that unless the car had the optional 3.23 rear axle ratio, it's got a very highway-friendly 2.76 ratio, which with the 8.55x14 (original) tire size, means it's running about 27.6mph/1000rpm on the highway. THEREFORE, too much cam will decrease low-speed performance and response. With the 3.23 ratio, it makes just over 25mph/1000rpm. Either way, adjust the trans kickdown linkage so the trans upshifts into 3rd gear right at 28mph (2.76 ratio) or 25mph (3.23 ratio). What this does is keep the light throttle upshift to not happen too soon, resulting in all acceleration past that point "on the converter" rather than "by gears" (which is more efficient and raises the other part-throttle upshift speeds just a bit for more acceleration with less throttle). You can also upgrade the TF to part-throttle upshift with '71 model year parts, just change the appropriate parts.

Lunati has several interesting cams.
The first one is their "Factory Perf" . . . 216/226 degrees @.050" lift duration, .455/.475 lift, 112 LSA, 1800-5500 stated rpm range
The others are VooDoo roller cams with clost to .500" lift and would probably work best with roller-tip rocker arms. Similar duration to the Factory Perf cam.

The KEY is not to get too much cam for a car driven on the street, especially one with a highway rear axle ratio.

To help things along, you can use the "Road Runner" torque converter, which crosses with the Slant Six, converter, for a little higher stall speed than what you now have.

Exhaust? You can opt for the '69+ HP cast iron manifolds and then use 2.25" or 2.50" pipes with them. There are slight variations between each model year, which can be the way the pipe flange is clocked on the manifold. Or you can use headers with quality gaskets.

I suspect you just want a better-running 383, so start with the 4bbl intake /carb change, then the exhaust and ignition upgrades. Then you can do the camshaft upgrades later, if desired.

In watching the many online dyno runs, other than "Nick's Garage", many of those builds are too radical for something with a 2.76 or 3.23 rear axle ratio. The carbs might not be fully-dialed-in for a daily driver street car that needs to get good fuel economy AND are usually too big to do that. Makes for good dyno numbers, though. The larger-runner aftermarket heads might build more power, but that dyno pull will not evaluate off-idle or part-throttle throttle response as they are done at WOT. If you're staging at 2500rpm for a rolling start, THEN it works.

Sorry for the length. LOTS of things to cover and consider.

In machining the block, get the main bearing saddles "line honed", then the rest of the machining operations will reference off of that. The Sunnen CK-10 used to be the alleged "industry standard", but Rottler and others have similar machines. Do all boring and final hone operations with deck plates AND inquire as to how well the operator knows how to read the load meter when doing the power hone operations. If too much time is spent at one part of the bore, it can result in a non-straight cylinder surface . . . a reverse "hour glass" type shape.

Be more concerned with how the car will drive on the street RATHER than worrying about how much horsepower it'll make. That max horsepower only happens at elevated rpm levels, it's "torque" that moves the car from idle upward. You might have a 450 horsepower motor that won't scatter crap from a red light at part throttle, for example. Everything HAS to work together, which is what made Chrysler's engines so great. The combinations all worked well together and were well-executed at the factory level. In many respects, you could do a lot worse than to mirror the factory 383/335 engine's specs, including the stated torque converter.

CBODY67

One comment about "stall speed". You can have one torque converter that makes 1500 behind one motor, put it behind a more powerful/more torque motor and it'll be more like 2000rpm, just due to the power in front of it. In the case of Chrysler 727s, there were also two diameters, with the smaller one being 10.75" diameter, which was usually "high stall" rated, with the larger 11.75" being either "high stall" or "low stall". My '70 Monaco 383 4bbl has the smaller converter from the factory and takes a quart or two less fluid, as a result. Your '68 is probably the larger low stall "normal" torque converter.

Years ago, in the front of the Chrysler parts book, there was a section on reman torque converters from Chrysler (factory reman). The Slant Six converter was the same part number as the 383/335 motor. Similarly, I bought a NOS factory closeout GM THM350 trans spec'd for '81 Z/28 and Corvette, which had the Chevy V-6 part number torque converter for a higher stall speed. With a factory 2.56 rear axle ratio, I had to learn to drive with a more steady throttle foot, due to the converter's looseness and the rear axle ratio combination.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Oh man you are right, there is alot to think about. I do just want a better running 383, start confidently, smooth and fun. I'll be at the mercy of a shop to do this, i have no garage and never tore an engine down before. I just need to make sure they do it right and what they are supposed to do

Oh man you are right, there is alot to think about. I do just want a better running 383, start confidently, smooth and fun. I'll be at the mercy of a shop to do this, i have no garage and never tore an engine down before. I just need to make sure they do it right and what they are supposed to do

Yeah, my tranny (transmission, not an actual tranny) is a 727 TF, I didn't even mention it. I've never dynoed my car, but it certainly moves enough for my liking. It has the 1 3/4 large stem pinion (742).

In the end there is A LOT to think about and learn, but listening to what you're saying, you're looking to start small and build-up-to. You just want to make sure you aren't throwing pieces together simply because they "look good". 99% of my improvement or alterations was research. The actual installation of said parts was the easy part.

Unless you have beaucoup dinero and can keep throwing stuff against the wall until it works, in which case, you're my new role model.

Hey guys, I am looking for a shop to rebuild my 1968 383, standard 2 BBL. I want to install a better Cam, carb, and dual exhaust. But I don't know what else to ask for along with those improvements to make them worthwhile.

With research I've discovered I need the dual exhaust for the new carb to matter (4BBL), and I knew I'd need a new intake manifold. Is there anything else?

Thanks!

I've been observing all the chatter on this thread, and I may have missed the answer to this question: Does your engine run pretty well right now? If it does, and you want to improve its performance, you might just - for now - put a four barrel carburetor on it and a good dual exhaust system. In addition, there are some other inexpensive things you could do such as: replace the timing chain / gear (if original), and give the engine a quality tune up. I think you would be pretty happy with the results. In the meantime, save your money and see if you can locate a good 440 cu. in. core, and spend the big money everybody has been talking about on that.

She Burns oil pretty fast, and the current carb needs a rebuild. She'll go A to B, starts are ok, except for cold start, where I need to take off the air cleaner and close the choke to get it to start.

She Burns oil pretty fast, and the current carb needs a rebuild. She'll go A to B, starts are ok, except for cold start, where I need to take off the air cleaner and close the choke to get it to start.

Sounds like, at the least, you'll need new valve stem seals and / or a complete valve job. These fixes are still not as expensive as some of the other "upgrades" being discussed. Your choke problem can be fixed probably with a new choke pull-off. Don't know how many miles are on your engine, so my suggestions may not be worthwhile. . . But if you can get the engine to run right the way it is, I think you would be very pleased. In any event, I would not spend the "big money" on a rebuild of your 383. The 440 route is how I would go.

Been looking online all morning trying to find shops that don't specialize in paint and wheels urgh. Very surprising to have this hard a time to find a shop with vintage car knowledge.

The "shops" you desire might not be online OR mentioned in some online forum. It's "car season" so you'll need to go to some events and ask around about engine/mechanic shops yourself. The problem is that they aren't "all the same", like tires, for example. AND they might not as squeaky clean as some of the high-level race shops, either. Even a shop that has done dirt track engines for many years, who can build an engine that'll last ALL season and need only minor refreshing at the end of the season. If you find somebody that talks about how their engine blows up as it "has too much power", respectfully walk away as soon as possible. As it might turn out, the best engine shops will be a ways off from you, typically.

I'd concur about the valve job first. AND, to put a little more tech into the situation, get a "borescope" to hook to your computer (or one with a video screen, more $$$) and stick it into each spark plug hole to look at the top of the pistons. Carbon accumulation is somewhat normal, BUT if you find areas around the edge which are "shiny", that's probably oil washing the carbon off, coming up past the rings OR the oil ring not scraping it off effectively.

ONE thing about looking for an engine rebuilder . . . most usually have a somewhat standardized price book that is in line with other shops in the area. BUT if you start talking "vintage/collectible" car, those prices can be positively variable! Kind of like going to the salvage yard needing a part for a GTX, when the same part came on Chryslers. If you ask for the Chrysler part, it'll probably be more reasonably priced than if you start by asking for a GTX part.

So, look for somebody with a strong and reliable history of building Chrysler V-8s, not the newer GenIII Hemis or similar. The same basics of doing the machine work will be the same for a Chevy as for a Chrysler, BUT the difference comes in the assembly and quality thereof.

Somebody mentioned "timing chain"? Either the Mopar Perf roller chain set or a Cloyes Plus Roller timing set will be good.

Chrysler used to sell an "Engine Teardown Gasket kit" for B/RB motors. It used to be about $100.00. I ordered one, reluctantly. What it turned out to be is EVERY gasket needed in rebuilding a Chrysler B/RB V-8. Even the little ones you don't know you need! If they still have that, "It's a deal!" Designed for that "winner's teardown inspection" at drag racing events, where the class winner has to prove the engine is "legal" by talking it apart for others to see, at the strip. Didn't expect it to have EVERYTHING!

IF the automatic choke is not closing, two things . . . the choke thermostat that's in the center rh side of the intake manifold. Then what opens it after the engine starts is the choke pull-off, run by manifold vacuum at the base of the carb. Easy fixes.

CBODY67

I've done more than a few 383 builds for myself and customers. It's a great engine, but building a real performance one takes some knowledge because they have a couple issues when you're really looking to make power. Without blueprinting the block and heads you will always leave compression on the table. But, if I glean enough about you from your posts - you're not looking for monster power. You want fun and reliable. If the engine runs now, the options are a couple: cheap ring-and-bearing approach, or full rebuild.
A few things I would rule out at the get-go based on your "personality":
A stroker kit
Aftermarket heads
Camshafts larger than 225* @ .050", and anything roller tappet
Any porting - the right shop will use modern quality valve & seat cutting technology and a 5 angle setup that gives you the return that porting would, included with the cost of a valve job.
Custom forged pistons (no catalog piston will yield static compression higher than 9.5:1, and no flat top will get even close to that).
Any single plane intake.
Any carb made by Demon, or larger than the old-school dry flowed 750.

If it's what I call a ring-and-bearing then the total cost paying someone to do it all (not including pulling or installing or dyno/break in) will probably end up around $3K. With dyno or a running stand break in (highly recommended) another $500-1K. That includes turning and polishing the crank - I've yet to find an original crank that was good enough after actually properly measuring to just put bearings on. So I turn them straight away.

A full rebuild, using quality parts, no dyno, power figures around 350hp on any pump fuel, big torque given the displacement, and will probably be around $6500. Plus the dyno/break in deal on top of that.

Anything with EFI add $900. I would recommend this, but the engine should be started the first time with a carb. Once the cam's broken in you can go with an EFI that will self-learn.

For any stroker package add 25% to the base estimate.

Lastly - the shop or builder you choose should work with you. The internet's fun, but everyone has an opinion and not all are based on the same level of familiarity or experience. If a shop has a good rep and have to stand behind their work, and you feel comfy enough to spend your money with them, the trust should be with them. Toss around the ideas, but they should ultimately provide you direction and the list of parts.

As for me so we're able to talk apples to apples - A full rebuild means everything is new (or rebuilt/modified/verified) but the main castings, from carb to distributor to fuel pump rod, oil pump drive, water pump, spark plugs, etc. With complete machining to correct the wear and bring the tolerances into 21st century. Align honing, square decking, use of torque plates and modern honing methods, heads get guides, unleaded seats, upgraded valves, etc. A ring and bearing job is lapping valves, reuse of pistons and rods, turning the crank, and pretty much new everything else. Upgrading the cam, valve springs, stuff like that.

A 625 cfm carburetor will work for a bored 383 to the better side of 6000 rpm. It will give you better throttle response than a 750 cfm carburetor. As far a camshaft goes if you get something that is close to what would have been offered for a 383 hp from the factory back in the day you should be very happy. Your power brakes will work fine. Do yourself a favor and have hardened exhaust valve seats installed when your get your heads done. I had positive valve seals installed also. With today’s fuels you need the hardened exhaust seats, no lead in the fuel to lube the exhaust seats. A new set of pistons with moly rings, have your crank checked, it may just need to be polished. Put ARP bolts in your rods and have the big end resized. Get a dual plane intake. Keep it simple and it will give you many miles of enjoyment.

Back