What type of ATF to use in a standard?

Wet noodle guess-a-gear!
:rofl: Haven't heard that one. "Like a baseball bat in a 5 gallon bucket" (Inland Shifter)
3 on a tree. 3 by the knee. 4 on the floor and a 5th under the seat. My favorites.

I had a trans builder tell me years ago that a manual trans that takes ATF can be filled with engine oil. I have used 10w30 in GM T5 manuals, later GM manuals take synchromesh like Mike posted. I used to service a customers Honda Accord with a manual trans and it used 10w30. He wanted it changed with every engine oil change.

You refer to engine oil for manual transmissions. The original Mini Cooper did that. The transmission and engine shared the lubricant.

To the best of my knowledge, the 745 three-speed in my '66 Fury is original to the car. The car has over 250K on it. When I bought the car in 1991 the trans was filled with ATF and still is. When I tore the trans down, It was IMHO in great shape for its age. The ATF seems to have worked well, so I guess I'll stay with it. Lindsay

Then use it and be blessed. If it says to do so there is no problem is there?

26F47D54-22C5-4F27-AAC4-99C58CC3F918.jpeg

What does Passon lube consist of that makes it so good?
USSMopar will not come back and respond to your question. His MO is to criticize, drop his answers as Gospel, and then not return.
He's not interested in educating or explaining.

I just put Dextron III in mine. It is backwards compatible with the Type A in the FSM. When I look into the original trans from my car, it look beautiful inside. It had 125K on it.

OK, here's MY question (which I also just posted in a new thread because I didn't think to look here): What if you don't know what's in it and you want to top it off? Is it OK to mix ATF and gear lube?

Back