What type of ATF to use in a standard?

Triple Pickle

Reaction score
I have a 1971 Fury I with a 3 speed manual transmission. What type of ATF that is available these days is the best?

E1C9C38D-A8F2-4039-BF0B-510BD2995C1D.jpeg

I'd use what's on sale...

Honestly, I had to look up if they were using ATF in 1971..

I'd probably use the stuff that's called "universal" which basically correlates to the old Dexron.

If you live in Alaska and drive it in the winter use ATF. I use this with good results.

pennzoil syncromesh.jpg

Last edited:
Please do not use atf
1st choice is passon lube - yes he sells lube that works, well tested oer [sic] here, i never found anything better 2nd choice GL4 NOT GL5 gear oil

Please do not use atf
1st choice is passon lube - yes he sells lube that works, well tested oer [sic] here, i never found anything better 2nd choice GL4 NOT GL5 gear oil
agreed, you need manual transmission gear oil not ATF(automatic transmission fluid)

Just saying…
when I removed the transmission ATF was pouring out the back…
1E9203C6-A40B-4F42-9866-A0541EABCEC2.jpeg

how would the gears "rattle" at idle speed? what is "direct gear acceleration"? direct drive is third gear. input and output shafts are connected. that's when the transmission is least noisy.

how would the gears "rattle" at idle speed? what is "direct gear acceleration"? direct drive is third gear. input and output shafts are connected. that's when the transmission is least noisy.
Ma Mopars profound wisdom shall not be questioned in this forum!

The manual is outdated just like 160/80 thermostats and bias ply tires. ATF was recommended because people complained about cold sticky transmissions. ATF does not have the same lubrication characteristics of the proper [passon] lube. This is not alaska. The gear boxes work the best with the proper lube not ATF.

I’ll be using gear lube in the transmission and save the ATF (alcohol tobacco firearms) for myself since I’m also outdated!

The manual is outdated just like 160/80 thermostats and bias ply tires. ATF was recommended because people complained about cold sticky transmissions. ATF does not have the same lubrication characteristics of the proper [passon] lube. This is not alaska. The gear boxes work the best with the proper lube not ATF.
Best answer.

Tremec trannys use Dextron ATF, like the T5.... for context.

If you're still unsure which tranny fluid to use, fill it up with Bud Light.

I had a trans builder tell me years ago that a manual trans that takes ATF can be filled with engine oil. I have used 10w30 in GM T5 manuals, later GM manuals take synchromesh like Mike posted. I used to service a customers Honda Accord with a manual trans and it used 10w30. He wanted it changed with every engine oil change.

Please do not use atf
What does Passon lube consist of that makes it so good?

Back