Whats the difference in Ac crank pulleys and ac harmonic balancers?

64Imperial

Reaction score
Hey I own a 1964 Imperial that came with heat only and I'm converting it over to an ac car.

What's the difference between Imperial crankshaft pulleys throughout the years? Does the harmonic balancer also have a specific ac type over the heat only ones?

I was looking into redoing my harmonic balancer (as mine is shot) and it mentioned that the ac crank pulley could be rebuild also.

Does some of the the pulleys have rubber in it? Or a special rubber mount?

I already purchased a 4 slot pulley and it has the casting numbers 2465725.

Any information is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

I don't think there is any difference in the harmonic balancer.

That said... The best way is to look the parts book over and start matching numbers. That is... See if an A/C car uses the same balancer.

Download a parts manual here: Parts Manuals – MyMopar

According to the 1964 Chrysler parts book I downloaded from www.mymopar.com, all of the B/RB non-HEMI engines use the same harmonic balancer. No distinction between "a/c" and "non-a/c".

The lower pulley for the a/c cars is the same for the 413 Chryslers and Imperials. There is a "Serial Number" before and after note for the Imperials on that pulley, though.

I would be SURE you had a complete matched set of a/c pulleys are the a/c pulley diameter is usually a bit different from the non-a/c pulleys, usually.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I don't think there is any difference in the harmonic balancer.

That said... The best way is to look the parts book over and start matching numbers. That is... See if an A/C car uses the same balancer.

Download a parts manual here: Parts Manuals – MyMopar
According to the 1964 Chrysler parts book I downloaded from www.mymopar.com, all of the B/RB non-HEMI engines use the same harmonic balancer. No distinction between "a/c" and "non-a/c".

The lower pulley for the a/c cars is the same for the 413 Chryslers and Imperials. There is a "Serial Number" before and after note for the Imperials on that pulley, though.

I would be SURE you had a complete matched set of a/c pulleys are the a/c pulley diameter is usually a bit different from the non-a/c pulleys, usually.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Hey thank you both for the information! I think I need to explain more about why this question came up because I forgot to add more background in the first post!

The reason I was confused was because I reached out to Damper Dr for a quote and they said that there was two different harmonic balancers, by size and by non ac or ac and that some ac crank pulleys have rubber that would also need rebuilt.

I just assumed they were being broad as it could be a part from any mopar and it just happened to be on my Imperial.

I was thinking that maybe certain years have different configurations. Checking the parts manual too, ( thank you Big_john for the link and thank you CBODY67 for looking it up also) they are pretty much the same...

The other thing that threw me off was on Mopar Mall they have listings for two different harmonic balancers for Imperials and an ac crank pulley with rubber in it. I'll upload a photo of the listing.

sorry for the major rabbit hole, but stuff like this can drive me nuts lol
Screenshot_20230316_102029_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230316_102058_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230316_102210_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230316_102332_Chrome.jpg

I have a stack of rubber insulated 4 groove pulleys available if you need a good used one.

Back