Where does my AC drain come out?

The '70 Fury heater cores have become very hard to find for the cars equipped with A/C. There are two short heater hoses inside the heater box that hook to a branch fitting. Many times the source of the coolant leak will be these two little hoses. Get it apart and check the condition of the heater core. You can take it to a good radiator shop and have it pressure tested and they can tell you if it is repairable. I did web searches for about six months before I finally found a new core for my '70 Fury, so you will need to be patient. The A/C evaporators are still available, but unless yours is corroded from mouse pee or otherwise leaking you probably can get by with having it cleaned, flushed and pressure tested. New ones on line are in the $375 range. AS noted above be sure to invest in a new Heater/AC box gasket set while you have the unit apart. For the two short heater hoses inside of the heater box, I have had good luck using the green silicone rubber hoses, they are very durable and will last as long as you do.

Dave

For the two short heater hoses inside of the heater box, I have had good luck using the green silicone rubber hoses, they are very durable and will last as long as you do.

Can you expand on the "green silicone rubber hoses", please. What, diameter, where?

I'm getting ready to pull my AC/Heat box out in the next few days, including the engine side housing to install a brand new fan and firewall gaskets, etc. And clean out the mouse pee and "pellets". Found a mouse nest behind the glove box last June....nasty mess, but looked very cozy for a mouse who likes Mopar dashboard insulation, cigarettes, candy wrappers, and other odd bits of litter.
Mouse nest.JPG

And as we've discussed here before, Detroit Muscle Technologies sells the entire box rebuild kit.

You would want to check the hose bib diameter on the heater core to verify the size. Green silicone hoses are used on stationary industrial equipment because they almost never leak. This is important as many of these engines run unattended. A lot of modern over the road trucks now have these hoses as well. The last ones I got from Napa. Most truck stops also have these hoses.

Dave

Got it. To be clear, these are typically for coolant use?

What is OEM in there....regular heater hose, like 1/2 inch? That should last dang long, too, because if so.....mine are still holding 48 years later.

Got it. To be clear, these are typically for coolant use?

What is OEM in there....regular heater hose, like 1/2 inch? That should last dang long, too, because if so.....mine are still holding 48 years later.

Yes coolant hose. Factory put regular heater hose in the box, I think it was 5/8" but check it.

Dave

Yes coolant hose.

That’s all very useful info, thanks.

I knew that unlike my previous Mopars, this heater core was split and had hoses. And since I’ve never seen anyone selling “split core connectors” for $500/ea, I figured it was just heater hose in there.

As for heater leaks, or possible future leaks indicated by corrosion nodules, they can be picked open with a dental pick, the tube cleaned to bare metal, and a little solder work (and some flux!) can solve it.

Last edited:
You would want to check the hose bib diameter on the heater core to verify the size. Green silicone hoses are used on stationary industrial equipment because they almost never leak. This is important as many of these engines run unattended. A lot of modern over the road trucks now have these hoses as well. The last ones I got from Napa. Most truck stops also have these hoses.

Dave
Green silicone hoses were used on GM vehicles with police package, they do last forever as long as they don't get cut or scratched.

DSCF5160.JPG

Back