Where does the Air Cleaner Decal go on a 1965 Fury?

Henrius

Reaction score
I found some great decals at Jim Osborn Reproductions. One is a sticker for the air cleaner.

I've got a 1965 Plymouth Fury III with a 383 2 barrel. Where does this sticker go on the air cleaner? I doubt it goes on the front, since there is a large indent for the A/C compressor.

I would help if you would post up a pic of said decal, IIRC if it's the yellow rectangular one I believe it goes on the lower base side, location is debatable via year. Also seen it on top lid and this may vary by year,

On the '65-'66 383 2bbl, the general location is on the rh side, about centered vertically, on the top section of the air cleaner body. As you look at the air cleaner from the radiator area, it should be about at "8:45-9:00 o'clock position). The application, by observation, was not "precise". More of a "it's on there" than in a precise piece of air cleaner body real estate.

That same general orientation was used until about '71 or so, with the later style air cleaners. The '65-'67, maybe '68 too, air cleaners were the "base plate" style, where when you removed to top to change the air filter, the whole top and sides came off as one piece, leaving the air cleaner baseplate, which the filter sat on. In about '69, they went to the later style which was "inverted" from the earlier style. When you changed the air filter element, you took off the top plate, leaving the air cleaner body on the carb.

Pictured is the engine compartment from a '70 Road Runner that was in a Hemmings article. It's the correct crinkle-finish air cleaner, but the decal placement is pretty much where they were from '71 on back to '65, and on the '65-'66 383 2bbl air cleaners. That air cleaner is the later style mentioned. It might be a tad rearward for what the single snorkel air cleaner placement was, due to the extra rh snorkle's placement. No matter if it's a B-body or C-body, they were in the same place.

CBODY67

PLYMOUTH__1970_RR_541211-1000-0 HEMMINGS.jpg

Last edited:
If you look real close at your air cleaner you may see were it had been they usually leave glue residue on the metal when they come off.

Here’s a 68 383 2bbl for reference. Original

A5D8407D-FA12-42D2-9958-FD740C10F650.png

Here's another 68, yellow sticker on driver side. The previous owner of this, (from 72 to 2012), said there was another one on the air cleaner that fell off but didn't elaborate on what it was. Looks like there may have been something on the left snorkel.

Eng 2.JPG
Eng 1.JPG

Thanks guys, for all your helpful replies. Yes it was the yellow one with red letters in all the pictures. Looks like it was one side or the other of the air cleaner. Never knew there were so many colors of valve covers! Sure glad I powder coated my air cleaner after seeing these photos! (Except for the pristine Road Runner engine.)

Back