Where to buy a reman 68 440 engine

My 1st NYB had a 440 with a cracked head.It made weird bumping noises at certain points.Had the heads pulled and 1 replaced.When it was put back together it ran great.My mistake was not having the timing chain replaced which i think broke later.When someone works on your car think of the other things that really need fixing.When i replaced my leaking radiator i replaced the water pump,hoses,clamps,got rid of the heavy clutch fan,which stresses the water pump grommet,replaced with a very light flex-fan.It was the best thing i ever did.The car ran so cool after that.B.B

My 1st NYB had a 440 with a cracked head.It made weird bumping noises at certain points.Had the heads pulled and 1 replaced.When it was put back together it ran great.My mistake was not having the timing chain replaced which i think broke later.When someone works on your car think of the other things that really need fixing.When i replaced my leaking radiator i replaced the water pump,hoses,clamps,got rid of the heavy clutch fan,which stresses the water pump grommet,replaced with a very light flex-fan.It was the best thing i ever did.The car ran so cool after that.B.B

Did yer new flex fan explode yet ?

If the car is a 383 now, any 440 will work. Externally the blocks are identical where it counts. That being said, a 440 is bigger than a 383. It's an "RB", or "Raised Block". The 383 is a "B" wedge. What that means is the exhaust head pipes may have issues (not sure on that but in some body styles they do) and the intake manifolds and distributors are not interchangeable between the two engines. Kickdown linkage may work, or may need to be lengthened depending on the intake and linkage you have.
I'd just find one locally, have it rebuilt using as much of the 383 stuff (heads, water pump housing, oil pan, etc) and stick it in there.

Oh boy. Phil,Phil Connors!! Heh.I guess all c-body guys have a sense of humor.Why live if you don,t.I cracked an A-arm on my NYB,that was HILARIOUS!!.Heh.B.B

Back