While I keep searching for it and I...

My Challenger looked just like this one. Add a black vinyl roof and the R/T hood and it would be dead on.

1973jf1.jpg

1973jf1.jpg

You mean the Rallye hood

Yep, the hood in 70, 71, 72 was called R/T hood........the same hood 73 & 74 called ralleye hood.

The performance model was the R/T (Road/Track), with a 383 CID Magnum V8, rated at 335 bhp (249.8 kW); 300 bhp (223.7 kW) for 1971, due to a drop in compression. The standard transmission was a 3-speed manual. Optional R/T engines were the 375 bhp (279.6 kW) 440 cu in (7.2 L) Magnum, the 390 bhp (290.8 kW) 440 CID Six-Pack and the 425 bhp (316.9 kW) 426 cu in (7.0 L) Hemi. The R/T was available in either the hardtop or convertible. For 1970 only, base hardtop and R/T hardtop models could be ordered with the more luxurious SE specification, which included leather seats, a vinyl roof, a smaller 'formal' rear window, and an overhead interior console that contained three warning lights (door ajar, low fuel, and seatbelts).[SUP][10][/SUP] The Challenger R/T came with a Rallye instrument cluster that included a 150 mph (240 km/h) speedometer, an 8,000 rpm tachometer,[SUP][11][/SUP] 1972–1974 tachometer went to 7,000 rpm and an oil pressure gauge. In 1973, the R/T badging was dropped and these models were called "Rallye", although they were never badged as such. The shaker hood scoop was not available after 1971.

Nice. You'd be my go-to guy for e-bodies from now on, but, please no offense, e-bodies I never warmed up to.

I was lucky..........and young, not married, no kids, and had a great job and able to buy a new car. The Super Bee was paid off by then so it was my trade in that made the Challenger very affordable. My Challenger was $5100 brand new. Which to me back then was a lot of money.

When I was young, living at home and making waaay too much money for a guy at my age, I went out and bought a new '72 Riviera
so the bouncers would give me primo parking at the front door of the nightclub. 72 Riv + Disco era.... wasn't pretty looking back at it.

...see pictures like this that match it to a T, I always wonder: "is that the same first C-body I ever owned 43 years ago?"
You never forget your first one.

you mean you don't have the VIN of your first car memorized like I do?

shame on you

VIN? I was 20 in 1969. You think I had any idea VINS would become important some day??? It was a damn used car with a 100k on it.
Internet? Google? WTF is that?

The first time I understood the importance of NINS was when I bout a '64 Avanti. I traced that sucker all the way back to it's original owner.

Shame on me for no pics, though. That's blasphemy.

Last edited:
It is a used cars dealer, hee'll take your three cars in exchange and you're even. :)

VIN? I was 20 in 1969. You think I had any idea VINS would become important some day??? It was a damn used car with a 100k on it.
Internet? Google? WTF is that?

The first time I understood the importance of NINS was when I bout a '64 Avanti. I traced that sucker all the way back to it's original owner.

Shame on me for no pics, though. That's blasphemy.

So true, when I had the Super Bee / Challenger the word VIN wasn't even in my vocabulary. If it coudn't make the car go faster......it wasn't important.

The performance model was the R/T (Road/Track), with a 383 CID Magnum V8, rated at 335 bhp (249.8 kW); 300 bhp (223.7 kW) for 1971, due to a drop in compression. The standard transmission was a 3-speed manual. Optional R/T engines were the 375 bhp (279.6 kW) 440 cu in (7.2 L) Magnum, the 390 bhp (290.8 kW) 440 CID Six-Pack and the 425 bhp (316.9 kW) 426 cu in (7.0 L) Hemi.

Excuse my ignorance but is there any physical difference externally between the 383 and 440, i.e. weight, physical dimensions, etc? I should know that but I don't think I've ever seen that mentioned.

Excuse my ignorance but is there any physical difference externally between the 383 and 440, i.e. weight, physical dimensions, etc? I should know that but I don't think I've ever seen that mentioned.
The 361, 383 & 400 are all B engines, the 413, 426 & 440 are all RB (raised block). The deck on the RB engines is something like 5/8" higher to accommodate the longer stroke.

The 440 "block" weighs 10 lbs more than the 383. Visually you'll see the bigger gap between the bottom of the intake and the valley pan. The telltale hint is the machined pad with stamped info on the 440 is at the front left of the block near the edge of the valley pan. The 383 pad is on the right front of the block near the alternator.

Back