Why did you buy your classic Mopar??

cause I love mopars...saw mine out the corner of my eye languishing on a car dealer's lot. Turned around, went in..took it for a spin and a short time after that it was mine.

My first car was a 1966 Barracuda fastback, 225 AT, and it was a little quicker than it needed to be, then a 82 Dodge Colt, not so fast but got me to work, then a 84 Shelby Charger, now that is the car I want back, screamed to get to 110 but had no more top end, but a blast to drive in the corners and hence the "ItAintJustPaint" which I had painted on the back window, I traded the Shelby for a 89 Daytona, nowhere near the fun of the Shelby, but it was new. Then I left the Mopars farm, first one in 3 generations, and bought a Saturn, and 8 months later traded it in for a 2500 Ram.
But the C-body was a "mistake"....my family has had a 62 440 Dart drag car since 69, and it was a terror at the strip in the early to late 70's. My dad wanted to build a 383 to put back in it, so I found a 2drHT 68 Polara with a 383 AT, and bought it for $300. And then spent a crazy weekend trip to North Dakota to get it. A friend was going to buy the car minus the drive train and make a demo car out of it, but when we got it home and looked under the car, the factory paint was sill on the rear frame rails, and it was pretty solid, so it never left my house. 10 years later I found a 68 Vert Polara on eBay and I have been working on it off and on since I got it, but it needs a lot of TLC. So now I have 2 that need a lot of TLC.
I know more info than necessary, but I have loved all the cars I have owned, Mopars or not, some had a lot of wear and tear on them but they were all something to getting me to here!

When I was younger all I knew were C- bodies. The first car I remember is the C- body I have today. I learned to drive when I was 5 in that 68 Dodge Polara. That car taught me a lot through the years. When I was a young teenager before I had my license, my brother and I got it running after it sitting for 5 years. It was our transportation to the school bus two to three miles each way on the gravel road. We would fly down that road normally around 60 mph, but sometimes if we were a little late we would hit 80. Usually after those 80 mph runs. We would have a little leak in the gas tank. We would rub a little Seal All over the leak and it was usually good to go. By high school it was mine, but didn't alway appreciate it as in 85/86 it wasn't that cool. I drove it through college, and daily to my first job, before I parked it for 20 some years. Now its on a restoration journey. The lowly Dodge 68 Polara 2 dr hard top doesn't seem to have the prestige of the Fury or New Yorker, but man I love that Burgundy Metallic slab side with the white vinyl roof. I used to think a Challenger would be the ultimate car, but I am not so sure anymore. I like to do things differently than everyone else. The 68 Polara is my collector car.

Because as a "car guy" it would make me cry every time I saw it rusting away in front of my brothers house. It took me almost 10 yrs.
beach2.jpg
to convince him he'd never give it the love it deserved and earned.

When I was 15 a friend said he knew of a 1963 Fury that some old women had to get out of their driveway.

They had parked her in 1977 and just let her sit. I bought her in 1982.

The city told them they had to move her off their own property because the neighbor doesn't like how she looked.

I went and bought her for $50.00. It took my 7 months to get her running but I did it all myself and without knowing anything about cars.

I still have her and she still runs good with her original engine that has never been opened.

I will start the cosmetic restoration as soon as I open a shop to handle the work.

I won't let anybody touch her but me.

I was looking for a classic car and found one running and driving for $3500...
The wife said "you should get it." I bought it before she could rethink her statement :)

My first car I bought with my own money was a 1970 Dodge Phoenix 4-door hardtop (a re-badged Plymouth Fury), because it was the type of car I've always liked, big and comfortable. That was followed by a 1973 Imperial LeBaron (the only one in South Australia at the time), when the car cover come off and I saw that mile long bonnet (hood) I went weak at the knees, I had longed for one for some time and seeing one just 20 minutes away from my house was like a dream come true. Sadly, stupidity got in the way and it was sold to finance another car.

Because I was sucked in.... and I mean that in a good way!
Something about this car wouldn't quit calling my name.

IMG_0824.JPG
IMG_0784.JPG

well i was 16 in 1971 had an 65 austin healey sprite that my dad and i fitted up from a wreck , smashed front end . drove it for awhile but , it was not the car for me , sold it . then one day my dad and i were cruz'n the salvage yard i spotted it dark red met 2 dr ht black interior buckets n a console 4spd and a big motor under the wrecked hood n fenders and grille . it was a 66 plymouth satalite 383 commando 4spd with a limited slip 8 3/4 . could not even tell what model it was being the front was smashed and the rear end up against the fence . that was a great machine , ''drove it , beat it , raced it , broke it fit it . cut it up and used the running gear in another build . and haven't stop building chrysler corp cars and trucks since . my pic is of the first vehicle i ever drove and i broke it n fit it too , thats a 41 dodge d100 weapons carrier , modified with a standard cab . still in the collection .

DSC04743.JPG

well i was 16 in 1971 had an 65 austin healey sprite that my dad and i fitted up from a wreck , smashed front end . drove it for awhile but , it was not the car for me , sold it . then one day my dad and i were cruz'n the salvage yard i spotted it dark red met 2 dr ht black interior buckets n a console 4spd and a big motor under the wrecked hood n fenders and grille . it was a 66 plymouth satalite 383 commando 4spd with a limited slip 8 3/4 . could not even tell what model it was being the front was smashed and the rear end up against the fence . that was a great machine , ''drove it , beat it , raced it , broke it fit it . cut it up and used the running gear in another build . and haven't stop building chrysler corp cars and trucks since . my pic is of the first vehicle i ever drove and i broke it n fit it too , thats a 41 dodge d100 weapons carrier , modified with a standard cab . still in the collection .
Any plans for the '41?

crv , not sure , its a runner , just needs some resto of some components to get it back on the road , it would be neat with a hot rod'd flt 6 , to modify it much farther would change it character . but it would be more of a road machine , modern running gear , disc brakes , od trans , ect .... it would be a delight to drive , nothing like it is stock , lol .

crv , not sure , its a runner , just needs some resto of some components to get it back on the road , it would be neat with a hot rod'd flt 6 , to modify it much farther would change it character . but it would be more of a road machine , modern running gear , disc brakes , od trans , ect .... it would be a delight to drive , nothing like it is stock , lol .
I'd imagine that after driving a stock truck like that for a few years you would need back surgery!

crv , well as i said i learned to drive and check the systems on a vehicle on that truck , i was 14 , the family cut x-mas n sold them on a lot here in sj . but cutting them was my dad my grandpa my uncle and myself , most of the time it was my pop and i , but when my grandpa came he had to drive . being a retired truck driver , i can still here him causing up a storm crossing the rock filled creaks , bouncing from one to the other , me i the middle of them . my pop laughing , asking them if he wants to continue driving . grandpa coming back with '' i'm drive n , ate i boy ''. so there is more then itself involved here . and the back surgery , well that came with all that fun working at all of it , my last name means '' hard worker ''in the old country .

Both are beautiful! I'm not much of a Chevy guy but I love 'Vettes and '65-6 Corvair Corsas!

I bought a 1965 Fury III 2 door hardtop a few weeks ago after looking for several years for the one I wanted. For years I thought the 65 and 66 Fury III 2 door hardtop were the prettiest body style of any car. My father had mopars with slant sixes, 318s and they were tough little cars. Years ago, I wanted and old pickup but needed something to work out of. I bought a 1979 Ford F-100 in October of 1979. I still have th F100 and now a I have my old truck and the prettiest car out there (65 Plymouth Fury III 2 door hardtop, Light Blue) IMHO.

Fury III & F  100.JPG

I just grew up around mopars. Dad started work at Chrysler the year before i was born. Over the years we had many different mopar models including a few 60s imports. As i kid i loved the big cars of the 60s. Dad liked his C Bodies loaded with options. I even remember a couple 300 letter cars he brought home in the early 60s. Had a lot of fun with the muscle cars he had occasionally but i loved cruising in those big Imps and New Yorkers.

And i bought the Monaco after Dad passed. Looking back i figure dad was working on the new 65 Cs in summer 63. That summer we took a month long vacation out west. Dad was so busy at work he offered to cancel his vacation time. His boss ordered him to go. He knew we bought the travel trailer just for this trip and dad ordered a loaded wagon to pull it. The red Newport in my “when they were new” garage.

When I had my first child, I had to stop commuting by motorcycle so I could drop her off at daycare. I didn’t want to go from commuting by bike to a Camry, so I talked about a classic car with my wife. After some research she found that child car seats provide most of the crash protection for infants and toddlers and 1967 was the first year for mandatory safety glass and rear seatbelts. Therefore I could buy anything I wanted 1967 or newer.

I have always liked Elwood Engle styling, but his Fords were all too early. Luckily he got fired and moved to Chrysler. So the ‘67 Chrysler line was right in my wheelhouse. my Imperial came up on my local craigslist and I bought it.

(I do still kinda wish I’d bought that ‘71 Pontiac wagon with a 4-speed and a 428 sometimes)

I always liked the look of the Fusies but after a cab ride in a 1972 Chrysler Newport, I had to have one.

Back