Why do I do this? A-Body project photos...

I may research that. That would make for a pretty cool build. Is that a way better starting point than a 5.7? As far as aftermarket goes?
5.7 is VVT, 6.1 is not. 5.7 has a composite intake, 6.1 is aluminum. 5.7 heads have a smaller combustion chamber so if you port & polish them & jam em on a 6.1, you get higher compression (11.5:1 in my Polara) but still very street/pump gas friendly.

Tons of aftermarket for both though.

I got excited when you said 392 but then I realized you didn't mean 6.4L.....

Not a new engine I think he said it was out of a New Yorker from the late 50's if that sounds right.

I like the Keystones.

You did that on purpose just to get a face palm out of me, didn't you...
I'm not falling for it.

I can't believe you didn't jump all over those custom door panels. While I was taking the photos, I thought for sure you would damn near have a stroke over them.

Just throw a BB in there, and be done with it.. No need to spend the extra money to stroke it out like a small block.

Look forward to see the build whichever way it goes.

Had a 440 4-speed in my 69 barracuda at one point that was a blast till the rearend gave up. Put a BB in it better conversation piece. Otherwise ho-hum another small block a-body seen one you have seen them all. Gen III hemi is cool also but only if F.I. and a/c. Btw the blower fan is not a problem when it is in the dumpster, the fenderwell headers will give you all the heat you need, like radiant floor heat in you house. There are only 3 good versions of a-bodies a/six for fuel mileage, a BB for racing, and a 68 hemi a body if your money is really burning a hole in your pocket.

Buy this one it is done already.http://northernwi.craigslist.org/cto/4150290132.html

00t0t_kC4n0xW311J_50x50c.jpg

00b0b_946QrwkLnov_600x450.jpg

You did that on purpose just to get a face palm out of me, didn't you...
I'm not falling for it.

Nope, I truly believe it's the best choice. 500 HP, smooth idling, very streetable, pump gas motor. A/C compressor disengages at WOT, excellent fuel mileage, instant throttle response, self tuning.

I could go on but it seems like beating a dead horse.

I am trying to convince my bro in laws younger brother to put a gen III hemi in a dart, dumping smallblock back in and adding suspension upgrades, I'm still hoping on the engine.

Nope, I truly believe it's the best choice. 500 HP, smooth idling, very streetable, pump gas motor. A/C compressor disengages at WOT, excellent fuel mileage, instant throttle response, self tuning.
I am not an unreasonable man. Your points are very valid because every day more and more stuff is coming to market to make the swaps easier.
The HUGE (!!!!!!) bugaboo was back when nobody could crack the code because of the rolling encryption. Thank gawd that's been solved.

The rolling encryption was 2011 & newer. They stopped making the 6.1 in 2010.

The 5.7 has variable valve timing. The 6.4 has rolling encryption. The 6.1 just kicks ***.

And, yes Stan, your name is virtually synonymous with reasonable.... ;)

The rolling encryption was 2011 & newer. They stopped making the 6.1 in 2010.

The 5.7 has variable valve timing. The 6.4 has rolling encryption. The 6.1 just kicks ***.

And, yes Stan, your name is virtually synonymous with reasonable.... ;)
I got caught up in all this crap in my Vette days. It was an experience like I never saw before.
I didn't like it. The amount you had to spend chasing 5 hp over the factory specs was insane.
I did all the basic mods and got totally bored with it. I ended up with a car that matched a '67 L-88, the pinnacle of my dreams and for what?
For every 50 doctors who sent his Vette to Lingenfelter Engineering, wrote a check equal to the value of my house and drives it Dairy Queen??

Last edited:
Okay, I think I have made up my mind. I am going to start with my 1967 dated 440, match it to a 727, and stuff it in there. Looking at some beefier torsion bars and conversion mounts earlier today.

I have both both a manual steering box and a power steering box. I was going to run the manual steering box with the small block, but with the extra weight I was thinking about running power steering. It would be easier for the wife to drive, if she ever gets a wild hair up her ***.

100_0507.jpg100_0506.jpg
I have a couple 440's laying around, believe me I have thought about it. The RB is a damn tight fit. I think the heater blower fan has to moved a tad or else you can't even get the valve cover off. And unless you just use HP iron manifolds, fender well headers I think are the only headers you can get in there and then you have to butcher up the "inner fender". With stroked small blocks putting down such impressive numbers, other than cost I don't see much benefit to big blocking this car.
just do the big block. who really gives a **** if you cut the inner fenders. the worst is it could look like this. if it aint a trailer queen than who cares. there is no replacement for displacement.[ my small a body 73 duster]. especially if you have some 440's kicking around.

100_0507.jpg

100_0506.jpg

Use the manual box not any worse than a smallblock with a/c and all cast iron manifolds the fenderwell headers have a cool visual at shows but tti's can be had for not much more. I have fenderwells in mine they are like 25 years old when it was the only choice

Use the manual box not any worse than a smallblock with a/c and all cast iron manifolds the fenderwell headers have a cool visual at shows but tti's can be had for not much more. I have fenderwells in mine they are like 25 years old when it was the only choice

Thanks. I am not wanting to cut up the inner fender wells. Think I will give the manual steering a go.

Back