Why Does E Bay Suck?

azblackhemi

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Because there are 88 listings for Chrysler and 60 of them are ridiculously high priced dealers. I'm sure there are many other reasons but that's on the top of my list.

as a buyer and a seller ( Member since: Aug 29, 2002) and still a current member, I have watched ebay (and paypal) turn to total **** over the years.

I use them as little as possible now. I have been ripped off as a buyer, and as a seller. the last deals I did, just last month, after a years-long hiatus - I actually lost money in total after paying all the seller fees ebay has made up - final value fee, shipping fee, listing fee, fee to cover the fee fee, etc..

they can suck e-eggs.

- saylor

I don't see a problem.

PicsArt_12-23-10.20.02.jpg

Ebay went bad when the transitioned from an auction only site to allowing Buy it now and Classifieds.

That is one of my biggest complaints with E-Fee....WAY too many "Buy it nows". Usually way over inflated price. Put it up for auction and see the true value, not some fantasy price.

FeeBay-Reduce-Ebay-Fees.jpg

Been there since 98, haven't sold there much in the last 6 years or so, and only rarely buy there anymore.

Read a statistic awhile back.
It read that out of all the listings that conclude on any given day, only 5% of them result in a completed transaction through ebay.

As of right now, there are 94,000+ active listings on ebay Motors.
On average, you can deduce that amounts to approximately 13, 000 listings end ea. day. 5% of 13k means ONLY ~600-700 successful transactions completed through ebay ea. day.

Ebay isn't looking to SELL cars. It's a very lucrative advertising medium.

I start every sell auction at 1 amero and let the item set its own market price. I totally agree with the above ^^ that the price will find itself.

I have been hurt on that a couple of times, other times ive had them go wayyy past BIN price.

Back in the day if I sold something for $100 it cost me 3.5% or $3.50
Now It cost 10% of the $100 and if I shipped it for $20, 10% of $120 Or $12.00 & 3% of $120 for PP $3.60 = $15.60
Now if it ships to my friends up north in Canada shipping is $40.00 So ebay gets 10% of $140= $14.00 PP gets 4% of $140 or $5.60 = $19.60
The part I sold for $100 I only got $80.40 out of.

Yep the 10% selling fee is totally ridiculous.

That's bad enough. It's the fees on the "shipping" that kills me.
I list with "no shipping, or pick up only" and list any shipping costs in my description.. Still. A lot of morons just look at the pictures. Can't read I guess.

The 10 % on the final cost and shipping is Retarded. Pay-pal gets 4 % too. I use the Fifty free listings per month and that is it. However you get a Wide audience.

Because there are 88 listings for Chrysler and 60 of them are ridiculously high priced dealers. I'm sure there are many other reasons but that's on the top of my list.

The eBay of today is a far cry from that of 2000. Back then 95% of the listings were auctions. Today it seems that it is almost 95% are Buy it now listings. When it started to shift from auctions to buy it now everything started to go downhill in every category.

As a counter voice I have to say, I like Ebay as a buyer...

It's not mainly the swapmeet anymore where you can make a nice deal every day, but it's the greatest "general store" on the web. I buy stuff on Ebay for my restauration I can't find anywhere else! Maybe there are stores in Frankfurt, 30 driving minutes away, but even if I would try, I'm pretty sure at the end of the day I would end up on Ebay and buy the things I need there.

You're right, the fees are pretty high, but still cheaper then driving a whole day to find the part offline (and still end up buying them on ebay in the evening).

As a counter voice I have to say, I like Ebay as a buyer...

It's not mainly the swapmeet anymore where you can make a nice deal every day, but it's the greatest "general store" on the web. I buy stuff on Ebay for my restauration I can't find anywhere else! Maybe there are stores in Frankfurt, 30 driving minutes away, but even if I would try, I'm pretty sure at the end of the day I would end up on Ebay and buy the things I need there.

You're right, the fees are pretty high, but still cheaper then driving a whole day to find the part offline (and still end up buying them on ebay in the evening).
I would have to agree...I have had good experience with buying auto parts on Ebay. Never sold anything there though...

That is one of my biggest complaints with E-Fee....WAY too many "Buy it nows". Usually way over inflated price. Put it up for auction and see the true value, not some fantasy price.
Still a reserve or starting price problem... IMO most of the deals I find are in the BIN listings. Everyone else just watches too much TV :realcrazy:.

FWIW, I have a coworker who just retired and is going to walk me through his EB success. I have entirely too much crap I don't care much about... but hate to just throw away... time to start some "flipping".

I think I will start a new user ID for that, When it happens I'll link in here so members can be discounted or get free Carlisle delivery. Most of the stuff won't apply here.

Back