Why Have't I Heard of This Stuff Before???

saforwardlook

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
In looking at the Allpar Forum, I ran across this current article on cooling systems and antifreeze:

http://www.allpar.com/fix/engines/coolant.html

Corrosion in the cooling systems of my cars has been a constant concern and the issues associated with my older restorations with a/c and today's rotgut gasoline are also troublesome especially in the hot climate in California. Given that Jay Leno also uses this stuff in his restorations and based on the testimonies relative to the product on Amazon.com, I am going to try it out in some of my restorations, and probably change them all over to the Evans coolant. No longer have to worry about keeping up with cooling system antifreeze changes it appears. Anyone else using this stuff?

Who the hell is Daniel Stern and what makes him an expert on antifreeze???

Where is the data to back up these claims???

Disclaimer: The information provided in this and linked pages are accurate, to the best of our knowledge, but we are not necessarily experts or authorities on the subject matter. Neither the author nor Allpar.com / Allpar, LLC is to be held responsible for the use of the information or implied advice by the reader or anyother party. This page is offered “AS IS” and without warranties of any kind. If you use this page, you release the author and Allpar, LLC from any liability whatsoever.

Who the hell is Daniel Stern and what makes him an expert on antifreeze???

Where is the data to back up these claims???

Disclaimer: The information provided in this and linked pages are accurate, to the best of our knowledge, but we are not necessarily experts or authorities on the subject matter. Neither the author nor Allpar.com / Allpar, LLC is to be held responsible for the use of the information or implied advice by the reader or anyother party. This page is offered “AS IS” and without warranties of any kind. If you use this page, you release the author and Allpar, LLC from any liability whatsoever.

He is slantsixdan and is on several forums incl this one. Expert in auto lighting and other things. Very good guy

Hey Dan anything else to share on this Evans coolant?

He is a very knowledgable guy for sure. I haven't seen him around here for a while, I guess he's been busy!

At the time of writing, this coolant ran around $42 per gallon, including shipping; a prep flush product added around $34 per gallon.
At that price, it becomes Tiger Piss in my opinion. Pass.

That is stupid $$. I pull my hair out enough when I have a small trans leak, thinking of the price of tranny fluid lately....

But I might give it a try, Sounds like great stuff.

From the Evans coolant website:

Evans Waterless Coolants have a boiling point of over 180°C far greater than traditional coolants which boil at 100°C.

That was the first line in the FAQ and it's a red flag to me.

The "Traditional" coolant they speak of must be just water. Water boils at 100°C at sea level. A 50/50 antifreeze/ water mix at 15PSI boils at 129°C (265°F)

The first line in the FAQ and they are trying to lead you astray.... It might be great, but giving confusing facts is how you sell Snake oil.

Regarding Daniel Sterns trail. Again... it might be great. I would only put any value on it if he did a true "ABA" type trial where he dumped the Evans out and the truck had the same issues it had before the Evans was added. I've read Daniel Stern's notes on lighting and he is very knowledgeable and I'm not knocking him at all. I would just like to see a true unbiased ABA type test... Something that no one seems to do with automotive journalism.

Even just water put in a pressurized cooling system boils above 100 deg. Celsius.

He is slantsixdan and is on several forums incl this one. Expert in auto lighting and other things. Very good guy

Hey Dan anything else to share on this Evans coolant?

He is a very knowledgable guy for sure. I haven't seen him around here for a while, I guess he's been busy!

I'm not criticizing or doubting him. I don't know who he is and didn't see any reference to any data supporting the coolant claims.

Of course Allpar had their disclaimer at the end of the article.

Stop!!!
So it won't boil until 180C.
Your engine will seize from the oil carbonizing way below that.
Tiger Piss.....
If you can't keep your engine below 200F, you got problems that the Tiger Piss can't help you with.

Gawd. Just more Rev-N-Nater BS....

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
I have heard of a cool new thing for any car. It's a magnet that goes around your fuel line. It is guaranteed to give you more horse power and better mileage. Act now, the first 10 customers get a large bottle of Monkey Snot.

The more interesting core message for me is the corrosion protection, not the boiling point. So, the more interesting question is, is there any benefit in corrosion protection against distilled water with antifreeze?

The more interesting core message for me is the corrosion protection, not the boiling point. So, the more interesting question is, is there any benefit in corrosion protection against distilled water with antifreeze?

Thats all I waz really thinking about as well....

Distilled water is purely "will not cause corrosion".
A/F adds ANTI-corrosion plus water pump lubricant.
You can also buy ANTI-corrosion plus water pump lubricant without the A/F (glycol).
That's what I use here. Tap water, anti-corrosion, and lubricant. Glycol eventualy gums up.
You can't do that up there.

Back