Will this radiator cool my 66 Sport Fury

Inspector71

Reaction score
Originally my Fury had a 318 Poly and a factory 22" 2 row core radiator. The car had nothing but overheating problems once rebuilt. I tried everything even adding a 3rd row to the radiator. It turned out the problem had nothing to do with the radiator, thermostat, etc. Okay, now the car has a 440 under the hoot (69 Super Bee motor with aluminum intake and Eddy 4bbl otherwise stock...and real dual exhaust manifolds) My question is this, will the 22" 3 row radiator be enough to cool this car/motor? Thanks folks.

If you run a 7 blade fan, direct or clutch style, and a proper shroud, you should have no problems.

I had a 68 Coronet convertible years ago. It was a factory 383/4bbl car and only had a 22" rad. I had it 3 cored, and made a cheap fiberglass reproduction shroud work. Never had any cooling issues.

My vote says the 22" will have a real hard time keeping up.
I'd buy the insurance policy before hand by using a 26" 3 row.

No one makes a radiator specifically for C bodies do they. Will a B body one work then? And thanks for the answers.

Every guy that I know that has bought Champion for their C-body say the same thing:
"Fit perfectly except I had to drill a couple of holes in the bracket that they screwed up".
Hell. I can drill two holes in aluminum....

I put a Be Cool aluminum radiator in my 65 Newport. It was so wide, with side tanks, that I had to change to a smaller battery tray (and battery). The only attachment is tapped inserts in the front of the side tanks. I had to drill 4 matching bolt holes thru the radiator support. I got it cheap, $80 new on ebay, and was thinking of using in my 65 Dart but I would have had to cut off the lips on my front frame rails to barely slide it in. List price might be >$300. I always had boil-over problems in my Newport with the factory copper radiator, even after a new core. Usually happens after I shut-off the engine, or climbing out of the LA Basin on I-15 on a 110 F day. Part might have been due to the Holley Pro-Jection TBI getting funky when the box got hot and running lean. I haven't driven the Newport enough since to know, but I would be surprised if it overheats. Aluminum radiators cool much better, but you have to be careful to avoid corrosion.

but you have to be careful to avoid corrosion.
50/50 A/F that says "For aluminum radiators" (as long as it ain't red) , Dupont Coolant additive, and that thing will be drinking water clean for years.

Back