Wiped cam on break-in

Dropped the engine at the shop after work yesterday. He wanted to check it out before we went over the options and time. If it was going to have to be on every machine in his shop might as well do the machine work for the rollers. I was glad to hear they got right to work. By 4pm today I received a phone call from the builder. Engine was completely disassembled and was just about done getting honed out , next was a hot tank. Damage was not as bad as he expected . He specifically called to discuss options. He recommended and said he had good success in the past using a nitride hardened cam with solid EDM lifters . He also said the roller I would like to go with would run me about 1100 by the time I get out the door. Even after the credit . Machine work , springs , pushrod change ect. Adds up quick. I am tempted by the worry free break in process of the roller but to keep an extra 1100 in my pocket is pretty tempting too. I opted for the 1st option and hes covering the tab and expects to be wrapping it up end of next week depending on when the cam get in. I also discussed having one of them at the house when I fired it. They covered it this time without hesitation I'm not so sure if I had issues again they would cover it, I hope I don't have to find out.
Sounds like you have a pretty good shop there. One thing about the automobile business is they mark up the price on all parts to cover expenses on come backs.
They are doing great advertising, as they know you will tell everyone about how well they took care of you. Glad things are working out for you.

Sounds like you have a pretty good shop there. One thing about the automobile business is they mark up the price on all parts to cover expenses on come backs.
They are doing great advertising, as they know you will tell everyone about how well they took care of you. Glad things are working out for you.
That's the truth , once I get through this I'll either be complaining or sending them business for sure & probably deal with them for the next build. If I had the same failure on an engine I put together I couldn't afford ( right now ) to tear it down and go through it in a week or 2. It would've been along while before I set foot in my garage. I'm cant be more happy with the shop so far. I paid no doubt but if this is the service expected when an issue arises they're aces in my book.

I am glad things are looking brighter for you now and the machine shop is on your side.

Last edited:
I am in the early stages on having an engine built. My buddies offered to have some fun to assemble the engine together and install it at his shop to save a bit of money. I decided against it because I will have alot of money wrapped up in the build that if we assembled it and installed the engine and something went wrong, I could be up ****'s creek. So at extra expense I will have the builder install it and the new torque converter and start it up. That way it will be his problem if something goes wrong. I am going with a custom roller cam with morel hydraulic rollers. This will be a 440 stroker with ported Stealth heads 512 ci.

For anyone wondering. I picked up the engine complete on Friday morning and broke it in Saturday morning. The shop I used SK speed in Lindenhurst was extremely helpful and I couldn't be happier with their support this far. I was extremely concerned when that 1st cam smoked. Out of pocket for them to tear it apart and essentially rebuild it again in 2weeks was about 450 and 375 of that was upgrades... Break in went smooth and it sounds healthy.

For anyone wondering. I picked up the engine complete on Friday morning and broke it in Saturday morning. The shop I used SK speed in Lindenhurst was extremely helpful and I couldn't be happier with their support this far. I was extremely concerned when that 1st cam smoked. Out of pocket for them to tear it apart and essentially rebuild it again in 2weeks was about 450 and 375 of that was upgrades... Break in went smooth and it sounds healthy.

Pics.jpg

:D

OK, as mentioned earlier, many of us oldsters worked on the Chevy engines with the bad camshafts, although I have seen this problem on other G.M. engines.

The camshaft, and crankshaft ride on a cushion of oil, the mating surfaces of the shaft and bearing never touch. When you take the bad cam out look at the bearing surfaces, as long as they are not gouged up you will be OK.

Now for my personal opinion, I like to run factory parts in my engines. Why don't you look at the Mopar Performance catalog and get a camshaft from Chrysler that has the specs you want. You get a 1 year warranty with no questions asked.

Change the camshaft, lifters, and push-rods, drain the oil and change the filter, put it together with new parts, and get the correct oil to break it in and you should be fine
when you wipe out a camshaft all of the **** runs down on the crank and wipes out the crank bearings. the engine needs to been torn down. it looks to me like there was never enough oil flying around to properly lubricate anything.

Outa sight man! That is great news. I am very happy for you and the shop that stands behind their work.

Back