Wiper issues/ diagnostics 1966 Polara.

Dsertdog

Old man with an old guitar, and a blue note.
Reaction score
Our 66 Polara has the variable speed wipers on it. While we do our best never to drive in inclement weather, the wipers aren't very reliable, and I'd like to improve on that.

The symptoms are:

Turining the wipers on, the blades cycle a few times then slow down. Sometimes they stop, then restart again after a few seconds. Running them faster doesn't help.

When shutting them off, they start to retract, stop, then start again, slowly retracting to the park position.

Is it possibly the switch, motor, or does the gearbox need regreasing on the motor. Linkage seems ok. No unusual noises or grinding. Some electrical clacks, like maybe a circuit breaker.

Any suggestions on where to start?

Is it possibly the switch, motor, or does the gearbox need regreasing on the motor.
That was the first thing I thought of. On my '66 they will work fine, but not always return to park. I haven't touched them since I bought the car over fifteen years ago, and haven't gotten any worse in that time. Other than real heavy downpours, they are good at cleaning the windshield, but slower than a newer cars wipers. Try with the grease and see if that helps. I don't have any electrical clacks, so I can't help you there.

There is a circuit breaker inside the variable switch that will open / close due to heat (too much of a draw somewhere).

I have rebuilt easily hundreds of this type(A,C and E and Imperial have the same internals).
If you have a factory shop manual it will explain how to test the motor, unplugged from the firewall junction box. And of course take a really good look at all of the connectors in said box.

There is a circuit breaker inside the variable switch that will open / close due to heat (too much of a draw somewhere).

I have rebuilt easily hundreds of this type(A,C and E and Imperial have the same internals).
If you have a factory shop manual it will explain how to test the motor, unplugged from the firewall junction box. And of course take a really good look at all of the connectors in said box. test it. I have a feeling there's an internal short, but the test will be more conclusive
I'll test the unit and try to pull the plug but am very concerned I might break something.

You rebuild these units? How much?

$95, including the return ride.
I would be happy to test the switch for you, no charge.

$95, including the return ride.
I would be happy to test the switch for you, no charge.
Ok, so I understand, you only repair the switches not the wiper motor.

You're not that far away. I live in south BA, almost on the county line.

Back