WIW 79 300

azblackhemi

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Going to look at a 79 300 tomorrow morning. I've always liked them but am not too up on value. Here's the scoop per owner: 50,000 original miles, runs and drives good, A/C works, no rust, no dents but paint is burned off in places on top, so it needs a complete paint job. Seats and carpet need replaced but dash and door panels look good. Has aftermarket wheels on it that don't look bad but comes with the original aluminum road wheels. Judging by the pictures it looks like there won't be any surprises upon in person inspection. What do you guys think it's worth? Pictures below.

793001.jpg
793002.jpg
793003.jpg
793004.jpg

hey boss .. seems to be definitely worth a eyes on look/seat of the pants test drive.

Seems to be well optioned, but coupe things have one of my eyebrows up (not dissin' it, just eyeballin' some pics :)):

Seats are "black" and/or covered - the factory seats are very distinctive and color coordinated (see example) . Valve covers appear to "rattle canned". Speakers in the kick panels? Can we assume the factory wheels have correct center caps/trim rings? Cannot see headliner condition. Can mileage be reliably documented?

1663332143894.png

If seller is asking five figures going in, I wouldnt chase it. Its not in the class of the better examples of these cars, but its also doesnt appear to be a basket case either.

My transaction price guess unfortunately a wide band ... somewhere in the $5K-$7K range seems fair, but for me definitely toward the lower end based on what I see/suspect it needs.

Good luck man.

Thanks Ray! Yeah he told me it does need the seats recovered and he does have the center caps. He's asking $5500 which I don't think is a bad starting point. A/C works and it runs and drives good he says.

Drove it around the 'hood and it drove great. All gauges work, shifts, steers and stops like it should. Only accessory that doesn't work is the horn.

Did you happen to see that clean '79 300 at the Mopar show at Metrocenter last fall? I had never seen one in person before that. There were definitely some cool rides even in the malaise era.

Did you happen to see that clean '79 300 at the Mopar show at Metrocenter last fall? I had never seen one in person before that. There were definitely some cool rides even in the malaise era.
Yes I did. These have always caught my eye. This one was bought new at Bill Luke. I have the original sales contract. Car has aways lived in the Phoenix Valley. No rust anywhere.

That paint job it needs will cost you a fortune now that you are retired! :poke:

I love the 79 B bodies with the 360-4 engines and they were very well-built, very good cars overall. They also handled crisply. I also like the aluminum wheels.

I know you will make this one a "looker".

That paint job it needs will cost you a fortune now that you are retired! :poke:

I love the 79 B bodies with the 360-4 engines and they were very well-built, very good cars overall. They also handled crisply. I also like the aluminum wheels.

I know you will make this one a "looker".
Thanks Steve! My plan is to paint it and redo the seats and drive it. I have to talk to my upholstery buddy this afternoon to see what the leather seating areas will cost me. Probably not going to be cheap.

Thanks Steve! My plan is to paint it and redo the seats and drive it. I have to talk to my upholstery buddy this afternoon to see what the leather seating areas will cost me. Probably not going to be cheap.
Um no it's not. I paid huge money to get mine redone in full Katzkin Leather.....but man they look nice.
BF33E008-725D-4FE5-93DF-866FB519B034.jpeg
0BDEE3F4-7838-42E4-A04F-930BB4ADC6EA.jpeg

What is going on in the rear of your 300 - seems a bit high or maybe the tires are a little undersized??

The 300s and Dodge Magnums were my favorites in that timeframe.

Back