My new `67 Imperial Crown Coupe!

The rearend is back in it and the brake job is complete. I did my first burnout in it and stopped on a dime shortly after that and the clunking is gone! The rear suspension is still dried up, worn out and creaky but the disturbing clunking noise under hard launch is gone. The season has officially begun for me and I couldn't be happier about it!:steering:

New turn signal switch is the last thing for this season. Next winter the Fuel tank needs to come out and be lined and a complete rear suspension rebuild. At some point I'd like to get the auto pilot and sentinel systems working. After that at some point it is getting a repaint.

Nice work Matt! What did you figure was making the clunking noise? The ring and pinion or maybe the spider gears?

I'm not sure, I want to talk to the guy that rebuilt it. He replaced all of the parts in the previous picture and reused the ring and pinion itself.

Looks really nice Matt! Pretty interesting repairs! May I ask how much you've paid for the parts that were replaced on the rearend?

I disassembled my driveshaft yesterday and was thinking how all the parts of "the funny double u-joins" cv joints are called and where I can find replacement...

Hey Julian. I haven't had to source any of the u-joints yet so I couldn't even tell you if they're hard to find or not. As for the 3rd member itself, I pulled it out and handed it off to a friend who in turn handed it off to the guy that rebuilds them(you could call it a 3rd party 3rd member rebuild service...):lol:
Anyway I handed this one and a 489 case 3.23 SG over to him and he went through them both. The one from the Imp needed more work and the SG just got a once over with all new bearings and seals. I think the parts bill for both was 200 bucks but it was a cash deal that included parts and labor so I really don't know exactly. The SG is going in the vert.

Thanks Matt! Sounds like you just had to give a finger, not an arm and a leg for everything! ;)

I have a SG in my Imp, so that's the one I'm interested in! The u-joints seems to be available, but I haven't found anything about the cv joint parts so far :( Not even the correct names for the parts...

Another question, do you know how thick your discs are? I found numbers for minimum thickness but according to these numbers, my discs are waaay thinner then allowed...

Both of mine are just under an inch.
What does your service manual say about the u-joints? I haven't looked but I would assume that these are replaced individually just like you'd replace a single not as an assembly.

They are replaced individually, yes. But I'm wondering how the cv needle bearing part is called and where I can find it new because the bearing is bad on mine.

Thanks John! Let's not hijack Mats thread ;) I've found some more information on this and posted it over on my build thread!

So yesterday Bob(CLover) came over to help get the car ready for the road trip. Most importantly he installed the new(and hopefully last) turn signal switch, this makes the third since I've owned it but the first one using an NOS switch. Next was the e-brake release/reverse light switch hasn't worked since I've owned it in spite of installing an NOS switch when I bought it. It turns out there's a plastic piece within the column that engages the switch and it was broken. Once the broken piece was repaired the switch operates the e-brake release and the reverse lights as it should. He also figured out why I have had almost no control over the heat. It was a combination of a couple of things. The Imperial non ac heater box is similar to a B-body in that there's no valve that would shut the heat off to the cabin, just a cable controlled door that keeps the heat in the core. This door was sticky which in turn messed up the cable and it's mounts and the fact that the heater control vacuum switch itself was cracked up pretty badly didn't help either. I've had rags stuffed in all the floor vents to block the heat since before Taking it to Carlisle a couple of years ago and now it's in working order although I still need to replace the broken parts as the band aid type repairs may not last forever. While under the dash he found the low fuel relay isn't hooked up but ran out of time to figure out why. I will probably look into that while on vacation.
Lastly was a quick look at the auto pilot to determine that the unit itself is bad which he figured was the case so he gave me a known working one that he had in his stash. That will be an easy swap but also ran out of time to do it before we leave. I couldn't thank him enough for all his effort and expertise, the man is like a machine when it comes to these cars!
The trip will probably end up being about 2K miles of top shelf style Imperial cruising!

So yesterday Bob(CLover) came over to help get the car ready for the road trip. Most importantly he installed the new(and hopefully last) turn signal switch, this makes the third since I've owned it but the first one using an NOS switch. Next was the e-brake release/reverse light switch hasn't worked since I've owned it in spite of installing an NOS switch when I bought it. It turns out there's a plastic piece within the column that engages the switch and it was broken. Once the broken piece was repaired the switch operates the e-brake release and the reverse lights as it should. He also figured out why I have had almost no control over the heat. It was a combination of a couple of things. The Imperial non ac heater box is similar to a B-body in that there's no valve that would shut the heat off to the cabin, just a cable controlled door that keeps the heat in the core. This door was sticky which in turn messed up the cable and it's mounts and the fact that the heater control vacuum switch itself was cracked up pretty badly didn't help either. I've had rags stuffed in all the floor vents to block the heat since before Taking it to Carlisle a couple of years ago and now it's in working order although I still need to replace the broken parts as the band aid type repairs may not last forever. While under the dash he found the low fuel relay isn't hooked up but ran out of time to figure out why. I will probably look into that while on vacation.
Lastly was a quick look at the auto pilot to determine that the unit itself is bad which he figured was the case so he gave me a known working one that he had in his stash. That will be an easy swap but also ran out of time to do it before we leave. I couldn't thank him enough for all his effort and expertise, the man is like a machine when it comes to these cars!
The trip will probably end up being about 2K miles of top shelf style Imperial cruising!
I'm glad you got her a bit more sorted for the trip. Congrats again... guess I was right the first time "Happy Imperial Cruise". I can't think of a better honeymoon, surprising she is all in too... Very lucky man indeed!

Sounds like you are ready for a great Imperial cruise, Matt! The part with your heater is interesting because a friend of mine does have a similar problem on his '70 Imperial. Maybe its a similar problem. We will see.

Honeymoon? Did I miss you're married now? Man, I have to find more time to hang around here again!

Godspeed on your journey. :thumbsup:

I'm back from vacation to see you're back in action. That's great Stan! Good to have you back on here! :)
575490_454173624606374_2138583891_n.jpg

Back