The weather

34° last night. That should be our one flirtation with frost for the year. Your orange juice is safe....

Our weather is pretty good here.

10_Day_Forecast.jpg

The weathermen are calling this rainstorm we are having a "thousand year" event. I've heard it from several different weather reporters. I know someone was here a thousand years ago and meteorologists think of themselves as scientists. I think they rely a bit too much on supercomputers like Watson to make their declarations. Tree rings can as far as I know, evidence a years rainfall, not a weeks worth. We are soaked here.

yup that is an odd observation by the weatherales.

a couple days of heavy rain as a "hundred year" event makes sense (somebody was keeping weather records a century ago and we know its a big El Nino year).

thousand years ago? no indigenous NA peoples keeping track of weather like that. not even the more "advanced" Europeans/Chinese kept such precise track of daily weather either (but again they werent on this continent).

anyway the weatherpeople must have a basis rooted in real observation (maybe geology - core sample analysis?) vs. Watson bangin' variables together at 100 million times a second (or however fast it is).

maybe someone will chime in on how the meteorologists "know" your areas' unusual rain events are that rare.

Last edited:
Can't say I'm complaining
We have used less than half the amount of fire wood as last year

I should have known tuning up the snow blower and putting air in the tires would cause this warm winter
please tune up your snow blower again early next year.

Im with ya man...i grew up in "tornado alley" and as a lad lived through the F5 that ravaged Topeka KS June 8, 1966.

MI gets a fraction of tornadic activity of the plains states/se states of course...but my beef is we MI'ers tend to be "cavalier" when sirens wail.

People scoff at me to this day for looking for shelter options when its "green" outside and "dead calm".

LIKELY nothing bad will happen...but maybe the worst thing you can imagine is about to hit you ...ill leave it at that.

Its like we (the general MI populace) forgot (probably) the F5 that tore through Flint MI June 8, 1953. It can happen here too...just a matter of frequency of occurrence/severity each time, etc..

Interesting map and related data for anybody interested:

Monthly tornado averages by state and region

View attachment 71085
great to see there are none in Canada. I love this country.

Out here it actually rained all day long. Haven't seen that in years. Supposed to do the same tomorrow and Sunday. Could have been a decade since I last saw three straight solid days of rain.

The weathermen are calling this rainstorm we are having a "thousand year" event. I've heard it from several different weather reporters. I know someone was here a thousand years ago and meteorologists think of themselves as scientists. I think they rely a bit too much on supercomputers like Watson to make their declarations. Tree rings can as far as I know, evidence a years rainfall, not a weeks worth. We are soaked here.

your hunch was right i think. see old link below around SC flooding last year.

statistical analysis (Watson) of probability functions - sophisticated "guesses" based on mathematical frequency predictions of the "odds" of such an event (e.g. temps, snow, rain, etc).

just the weatherales' "headline" without their basis for making it could be a bit misleading. but all that aside, it WAS raining like heck for real - no Watson guesswork required - in your neck of the woods.

'1,000-year' flood: Hyperbole or hard science?

Last edited:
your hunch was right i think. see old link below around SC flooding last year.

statistical analysis (Watson) of probability functions - sophisticated "guesses" based on mathematical frequency predictions of the "odds" of such an event (e.g. temps, snow, rain, etc).

just the weatherales' "headline" without their basis for making it could be a bit misleading. but all that aside, it WAS raining like heck for real - no Watson guesswork required - in your neck of the woods.

'1,000-year' flood: Hyperbole or hard science?
Dang, good find on the article. Very interesting. Here in my neck of the woods, the landscape is flat as a pancake. Not a natural rock to be found anywhere. An ancient seafloor awaiting its return.

. An ancient seafloor awaiting its return.

the rocks agree with you...ALL of what would become Texas was underwater 90 million ago.

even though it appears to try to come back with all your rain, maybe in another few million years it might really be back (along with some more shale oil possibilities a few million years after that) :)

sea1.jpg

PicsArt_03-12-03.07.43.jpg

If I go out back, fill a bucket full of the sand out there and sift it, I can fill a can with seashells, marine fossils, and shark's teeth.

View attachment 73406

If I go out back, fill a bucket full of the sand out there and sift it, I can fill a can with seashells, marine fossils, and shark's teeth.

don't doubt it at all. Florida was under shallow salt water seas for 40+ million years.

Diversion (pardon me Tink): i was in Miami (Miami Beach) on vacation, got dragged to see Wicked (the play) at the Arsht Performing arts Center.

Killing time before the show, my friend and I walked around near the water and she pointed out the wall we were next to (100 yards long, 10 feet high, huge cut stones) was made completely of fossilized sea animals.

I thought texture was unusual but did NOT pay attention till she noticed it. looked like this -- wall was apparently constructed of ancient limestones/fossilied coral reefs mined IN Florida.

fossil wall.JPG

Back