For Sale ‘61 Imperial Crown Coupe F/S - NOT MINE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
:wideyed:

$_59.jpg

lemme pile on with commando1 ... I cannot even get anywhere near this price even if Canadian but ...dang. seems worth every penny

Nice one -- i could see myself in this, at this age now, back then.

My Dad lusted after the '57-'61 Imps/300's .. never could chin one while he and mom were busy having four kids :)

Seller Description: $75,000

This car has had a full frame-off restoration. Details of restoration are too extensive to list. Please contact Ross at .. (see ad)

imp5.png
imp6.png
imp3.png
imp.png
imp2.png
imp4.png

Last edited:
Has to be one of the most complex bonding of body stampings in a mass production car in history.
The amount of lead filling in the seams would probably outweigh a Civic today.
The workmanship to manufacture these cars blows me away.

Has to be one of the most complex bonding of body stampings in a mass production car in history. The amount of lead filling in the seams would probably outweigh a Civic today. The workmanship to manufacture these cars blows me away.

couldnt agree more chief.

tangent alert - since I aint a buyer :)

I built vehicles (not an engineer or manufacturing guy) into the 2000's. Know kinda how to do it and make money at it.

While I am sure most any major auto manufacturer today STILL could theoretically assemble almost anything ever (made of traditional materials) built in the past (cost effectively - another story) ... I am NOT certain the fixturing/tool & die stuff, etc.,) that enables mass production could be built now.

Then (dunno) and probably today, a lotta human hands on stuff to seem to be needed make it happen.

this topic is dealt with in other threads here .. but i dont recall anybody posting vintage film of this vintage Imp in production in their day. maybe somebody can go to those threads and make some of us smarter on how it was done

These pics kind of shows you of the labor intensive work needed.
Remember kids.... This was done in steel, not plastic.

1.jpg
P2160030.jpeg

These pics kind of shows you of the labor intensive work needed.
Remember kids.... This was done in steel, not plastic.

View attachment 395626 View attachment 395627

man .. many of those Mopar shapes could not be made with ONE stamping press .. yes especially with that hard, thick steel used before weight savings became necessary. that seems to mean lead seams/grinding/finishing in production.

like commando1 said, craftmanship, in a "mass production" environment is the only build suite that seems reasonable.

see Heavy Metal, post #496, vintage film a few years earlier of a Chrysler assembly line. Body line is 17:40 through 19:20 and its pretty clear to me what was likely happening in 1960 at the Imperial plant. Rouge Plant vid 11:50 to 14:10 shows body-in-white sub-assemblies.

my belief was numerous sub-assemblies in a few dozen presses (20 - 2,000 tons) in the old-time body shops to make panels (quarters with fins, swooping lines everywhere, etc) that in turn were fitted into welding fixtures that would numb the mind with complexity (and would be UN-doable with modern tools/work rules), lotta solder and grinding after welding/before paint.

Last edited:
Hopefully they did a better job on the rest of the car than they did the steering wheel. You can see a different color poking through. I love these cars.

This 61 is so pretty I will forgive the incorrect wheel covers (wrong year Imperial) it should have these...

s-l300.jpg

Looks like he's selling a 1979 T-top 300 too. If the shaker hood Cuda is his too, I'd guess he's keepin that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back