0-60? '70 Sport Fury 383

B-Rode

Reaction score
Just curious, what is the 0-60 time for a 1970 Sport Fury with the 383? I know there are 2 versions of that motor, so the stats for both would be nice.

Not sure of the time, Google is your friend.
I have both versions, the L code is a slug. The N code is a screamer.

The 70 polara 383 2bbl does the 0-60 in 9.6 sec.
The 70 polara 383 4bbl does it in 8 sec.

I think about the same for the sport fury..........

The 70 polara 383 2bbl does the 0-60 in 9.6 sec.
The 70 polara 383 4bbl does it in 8 sec.

I think about the same for the sport fury..........

Agree with those times.
We clocked our 69 Fury III 383 2bbl @ 9.5 sec. brand new.

Not sure of the time, Google is your friend.
I have both versions, the L code is a slug. The N code is a screamer.
Is your air cleaner on the N code stock? Can you post a photo? Thx!

Do you have pics of your car .......?
And from the air cleaner , do you have one with no snorkel , one with 1 snorkel or one with 2 snorkels ?

Last edited:
Do you have pics of your car Jeff ?
And from the air cleaner , do you have one with no snorkel , one with 1 snorkel or one with 2 snorkels ?
It came to me with the 1968-69 unsilenced no-snorkel air cleaner (which will be for sale soon). I just bought the correct 1970 dual snorkel. (It's also an N code car.)

Thanks fellas, hopefully the one I'm getting has the 4 barrel, but I'll be happy with either stump puller :)

Here's something I found. A "CAR LIFE" magazine compilation of 1969 road tests they did, including a '69 Fury 383 2bbl and a similar Dodge Monaco 440/375. No 0-60 times in the chart, so you'll need to find the "Power Cars" road test for that. Also a list of drag strip tests for cars from '60-early '70s at roadtests.tripod.com . The lone C-body listed is the '70 300-Hurst which "CAR LIFE" tested, but other earlier '60s Dodges and Plymouths are in the mix.

CAR__CAR LIFE ROAD TESTS_1969_t3_10h86x.jpg

My '70 Monaco Brougham 383 "N", w/ac, is "blue" and had the correct AVS when I got it "unmolested" at 86K miles in 1975. Crinkle-paint dual snorkel, but no pie pan. The "crinkle" pattern has flattened with age.

Seems like there was some "reason" (urban legend?) about why some were blue and other were orange, relating to the a/c option?

CBODY67

There were at least 3 variations available for a 383 around that time. The 2bbl would be painted turquoise. A 4bbl 383 with either single or dual exh. painted turquoise also. The red 383 4bbl as i recall had the Road Runner H.P. heads. Rare on a “C”.

From what I have learned, the Dodge made engines were all ’hemi orange’ whereas the Plymouths and Chryslers got blue engines. The U code Chrysler engines were made by Dodge; hence the color. (This might be a misunderstsnding, though.)

My ‘71 N code with ac was orange for sure and as many times as this conversation has been had I don’t remember the particulars Year to Year.

There were at least 3 variations available for a 383 around that time. The 2bbl would be painted turquoise. A 4bbl 383 with either single or dual exh. painted turquoise also. The red 383 4bbl as i recall had the Road Runner H.P. heads. Rare on a “C”.

What "made" the Road Runner head a Road Runner head, compared to earlier ones, were the 1.74" exhaust valves, which were on ALL B/RB engines in '68, or at least in '69. Prior to the 383 "N" motor in '70. No special ports as they were all 906s.

CBODY67

From what I have learned, the Dodge made engines were all ’hemi orange’ whereas the Plymouths and Chryslers got blue engines. The U code Chrysler engines were made by Dodge; hence the color. (This might be a misunderstsnding, though.)

There were no "Dodge" engine plants or "Chrysler/Plymouth" engine plants. They all came down the same line, unless they might have been assembled by Chrysler Industrial, which did 426 Hemis and the "industrial, fixed location engines" (i.e., irrigation pump motors). There might have been a few engine plants for B/RB engines (other than the Industrial line), but I believe all of them came out of MI.

CBODY67

Back