100+ Mph bog down

If you bought a Hellcat today, out of the total hours behind the wheel you would rack over the next year, how many minutes total would you be around the 100mph zone
If it is stable at 100 mph it will be a pure joy at 70-75 which is hours of driving, especially if your not afraid to weave lanes to pass the 20 something bimbo texting in the hammer lane on her way from some swimsuit photo shoot that will show up here in SHS.

So bigblockdodge your saying any old Fury, 300,,Newport etc would out handle or at least handle as well as my old LS400? Frankly I disagree. I would never drive an old pickup over 100 and as good as torsion bar front suspension is the rear suspension of these cars is from the horse and buggy days and the same as a pickup.
No way it can compare unless it's so stiff it is stupid with race suspension..

5ef6375be32b3651b2a552fa302f085b.jpg

Worth 1000 words.

A lot of old fartitude is showing here and/or east coastiness. On clogged up, falling apart expressways, 100 per is crazy in just about anything.

Out west, where the roads are like pool tables, visibility is measured in miles and populations are sparse, 100 is not at all uncommon. I spent much of a trip from LV to PHX at that speed in a '73 Imperial (on new 17", 60 series Michelins).

I bet this post will make Dave want to move.
View attachment 187632

I thought I had that van in hot wheels form in the early 70's but upon googling I see my mind was combining these two:

VINTAGE-HOT-WHEELS-REDLINES-YELLOW-ENAMEL-PARAMEDIC-VAN.jpg

C5773.jpg

So bigblockdodge your saying any old Fury, 300,,Newport etc would out handle or at least handle as well as my old LS400
Yes, but a A, B, E body would be better than your Toyota
? Frankly I disagree. I would never drive an old pickup over 100 and as good as torsion bar front suspension is the rear suspension of these cars is from the horse and buggy days and the same as a pickup
No, your Fury's axle is closer to the front of the leaf spring than a pick up truck. It acts much like the link-coilovers suspension that all these TV shows tell you, you need to buy.
Let's face it, pick ups are for carrying loads not driving fast in any situation. The crop of current pick ups are proof that they are being asked to do stuff they were not intended to do.
No way it can compare unless it's so stiff it is stupid with race suspension
Go read the articles about the car Carmine posted. Matter of fact the current Mopar Action issue has a retrospective reprint of the first lap of America race they were in and mopped the floor with a high dollar snooty eurotrash Merc.

I am speaking of stock out of the factory cars when made, not modified. My Lexus was not modified.
You can make anything you want if you have the knowledge and money. I am familiar with a Valient years ago that did very well in the competition you speak of.

Last edited:
I am speaking of stock out of the factory cars when made, not modified. My Lexus was not modified.
You can make anything you want if you have the knowledge and money. I am familiar with a Valient years ago that did very well in the competition you speak of.

It depends on what "stock out of the factory" means or includes. Don't assume that a "big" car can't be set up to handle or run just because it is big. These cars could be optioned with upgraded packages to not only handle, but flat out run. Of course, the police package on many makes of cars was one of these upgrades that falls into the "stock out of the factory" realm.

Hmmmm, who would have thought a big old boat of a full size car like the 4400 pound 1965 Pontiac 2+2 "stock out of the factory" would keep up with a 3430 pound 12cyl Ferrari? Faster in the 1/4 mile and ..... "The Ferrari was less than half-a-second faster on the Bridgehampton circuit (race course) than the Pontiac! The Pontiac was faster on the straight, hitting its 5500 rpm red-line top speed of 127 without any trouble" Here is the complete article: Car and Driver 196503

It always boils down to apples & oranges (and $$price range) and no one car/truck does it all, but don't assume and underestimate what the big cars can be capable of - stock out of the factory.

Or modified to do one thing well in spite of it's handicap of front wheel drive and a 5 speed manual transmision. Money, time, knowledge,desire.

Okay, but your Lexus was made after some serious advances in tire, shock manufacturing, the overall knowledge of how a suspension works with current tire technology.
For example, let's take tires on your Lexus and on your Fury, simple bolt on things no suspension mods or upgrades. Do you think your Fury would handle better with the same width, diameter and aspect ratio as your Lexus?
Same for shocks, the gas charged variable valving struts are a vast improvement over the old hydraulic units on your Fury.
Sway bars would be the first place modifications would drastically improve handling but you are starting to deveat far from factory available. However I argue that tire technology has brought about advances and acceptance of sway bars front and rear, which btw is on every 1/2 ton pickup out there today.
Your alignment settings on a old car must change to deal with tires and shocks

Okay, but your Lexus was made after some serious advances in tire, shock manufacturing, the overall knowledge of how a suspension works with current tire technology.

My point exactly.

My point exactly.
So we are not allowed to change tires on a car. That is a ridiculous statement. Guess I will have to go put F78 14s back on my Charger because it may handle too much like a newer car. We get together some time I'll throw you the keys to my Charger and you see if it is bad at 100. It is as stock as it gets just bigger rolling stock and hopefully before Carlisle some improved braking, all stock Chrysler stuff. Available on the car originally no, but period correct.
Don't handicap these cars because the technology was not there in 1960 whatever. The geometry is far superior than any other domestic car maker of the time, both geometry and design. A Ford or GM product from that time frame I would not put against your Lexus without literally making a race car out of it, yeah I'm serious not just hating on the others.

Last edited:
Of course you can. It still wouldn't be competitive with even a mid 90's S class,Lexus,BMW. Maybe in a straight line but stock I doubt that either. Once a corner hit I'd take a Lexus anytime over my 69 Fury stock with new tires and alignment. Or my Omni of course:)

I've had my Metric Challenger to 137 and still pulling. I've had my 71 4dr Polara at the " R" on the 140 speedometer and in both cars I felt the same " determined" and nothing else. Of course should anything have occurrd I was doomed regardless.

In a straight line yes .If you hit a corner which car would you rather be in?

The Metric I am sure.

I know what an 8 point buck can do to a vehicle doing 50 mph. Don’t want to know what a 100 mph hit is like

In a straight line yes .If you hit a corner which car would you rather be in?

The Metric I am sure.
Don't believe the wives tails. If your car handles that poorly you have something wrong. Over 100 aerodynamics can play into with some of the old bodies but below 100 not so much. Fix your Fury and experience the joy of a old car fast.

Back