100+ Mph bog down

I hit a Doe at 70 mph last year. I was lucky.

My Fury handles good. All new front end /shocks/tires BFG's. It also has the "performance upgrade" a front antiroll bar lol. She doesn't beg me to whip her. With an all cast iron 440 she would have gobs of understeer anyways. If I want to go nuts I take out my Omni and scare the crap out of myself as it is highly modified.
She begs me to spank her. You cant help it.
Going straight fast doesn't appeal to me except in a drag race at the drag strip.
Not trying to argue 70bigblockdodge. I think we just have different opinions and I do understand and agree with much you have said.

Not saying my Omni is the end all either lol,,it is eclipsed in every way from suspension,computer management ,quality control,overall design by many cars before and since it's design. It's a Dodge Omni for god's sake. A **** box.:D

I'm sure you have heard mention of XV Motorsports and the money they spent flexing B and E body Mopars on the same platform rig they check the stiffness of formula 1 chassis (circa early 2k). They found that those cars (designed in the late 50s) were right on par stiffness wise of a late model sedan, the very cars you are touting so much.
I'm speaking of stock B and E coupes, a sedan or post car would be even stiffer, throw in some simple frame connectors and Hemi/convertible torque boxes and I would bet it will easily be more stiff than modern sedan. Handling 101 "stiff car makes for good handling and road feel/stability".

Not trying to argue 70bigblockdodge. I think we just have different opinions and I do understand and agree with much you have said
Understood just a spirited discussion. I do agree that a C body will not handle.as well as a A,B,E because of the detached front stub frame, but will run circles around a full frame Ford and GM products. Not to mention their crap steering geometry with verticle swing idler arms and outboard center link pivots.

A lot of old fartitude is showing here and/or east coastiness. On clogged up, falling apart expressways, 100 per is crazy in just about anything.

Out west, where the roads are like pool tables, visibility is measured in miles and populations are sparse, 100 is not at all uncommon. I spent much of a trip from LV to PHX at that speed in a '73 Imperial (on new 17", 60 series Michelins).

I bet this post will make Dave want to move.
View attachment 187632

I’d feel safe at 100 mph with those wheels and tires on my C’s too. I was talking stock in good tune only.

This is a great discussion.
I do agree that a C body will not handle.as well as a A,B,E because of the detached front stub frame, but will run circles around a full frame Ford and GM products. Not to mention their crap steering geometry with verticle swing idler arms and outboard center link pivots.
I was going to keep my mouth shut, so no one knew how (un)knowledgeable I am about a Mopar front suspension, but...

Hey Dave, is there any way short of a roll cage,with a loop attaching the stub frame to tighten up the connection to the rest of the body?

Sub frame connectors do make a big difference on my junk.

Some time in the future, I'd like to auto-cross my RV tow vehicle.

Check these auto-crossers out

We are just having a discussion is all. We're just throwing our ideas around. I find it interesting. Don't take anything too personally. I'm glad you started this topic..

Last edited:
i have a 66 sport fury 383 car with all rebuilt suspention rebuilt eng.7" wide wheels and 60 ser. rubber and i drive it at 100 mph all the time on the turnpike from my town to the v.a. hos. a 100 mile one way trip without any handle problems an gets a 20mpg with ease. still has man. drum brakes all around but built with the best parts. it's not a road racer but it does pretty dang good for a 2 ton car. that is what people forget. these are 2 ton cars not little sport cars

Back