12 month restoration comes down to....

Fast Eddie B

Reaction score
... replacing the window channel on the passenger door. Never worked with windows. Might as well be doing an appendectomy.

It looks impossible. The window is clearly bigger than any cavity in the door shell. But it must come out like if a stone broke it. You can’t see most of what you have to replace or fit so even if you had the window out... what do you do?

Somebody here has had to have done this and come out the other side whole. I know if I get through this I will be a better person.

Help!

BTW I do have an insanely expensive NOS piece of track. I don’t want to cut it up and replace just one part as I’m pretty sure that will fail.

CC9C8BA9-B79C-45BE-8906-E82ED0E38028.jpeg

I have removed/ installed the glass on Formals many times before...but I am confused are you pulling the glass or regulator?

First step is to unbolt the black guide at the top of the door. Mark the location well to keep your glass adjustment.

Front window is removed by taking out the vent wing assembly. There are hidden screws under the door rubber at the angled part of the door frame, there is also a bolt for the bottom of the front track that is on the bottom side of the door, remove this carefully as the mount parts are sheet metal and easily distorted. You will also need to remove the window regulator and get it out of the way. Many 2dr and 4dr hardtop models have a plastic guide block that fits into the front track of the door, there is a small hole drilled into the bottom front of the window glass, you will need to raise the window and the vent wing together and then drop the window glass out the bottom of the front window track to clear the guide block. The guide block once it is clear of the track is unscrewed and removed. You should then be able to remove the vent wing assembly and then the window glass. Some models will need to have the rear track unbolted as well.

Dave

That went from incredibly difficult to super easy. The new part I had was for a ventless front window and by its length, would have gone around the entire window channel necessitating window removal.

When I started to dismantle the window given the great advice here, something didn’t look right. There was no old rotten felt in the front portion along the vent side. I checked the driver side and it too had no felt. Checked my other wagon - no vent windows- and it had the channel all felt all around. Checked my 78 NYB with vents and it was like the vented TC.

All I had to do was cut a strip for the top and rear side of the channel and pop it in.

I have removed/ installed the glass on Formals many times before...but I am confused are you pulling the glass or regulator?

First step is to unbolt the black guide at the top of the door. Mark the location well to keep your glass adjustment.

I have window motor and regulators for the front of my NYB. Any tips on removal and installation of the new ones?

I have window motor and regulators for the front of my NYB. Any tips on removal and installation of the new ones?
Yes, drill out the rivets that hold the regulator to the door first. Then you can slide the regulator out of the tracks on the door and glass. Once the regulator is free, lay it on the bottom of the door. Then pull the glass out. Then replace the regulator assembly. Reverse the process. Use bolts and nut to replace the rivets...that's how it was done on earlier Formals. I don't remember which year Chrysler Corp went to rivets as a weight saving measure (77?).

Back