15" Steelies/Hubcaps?

66Fury383

Reaction score
Hi all,

I hope you are well. I am working on figuring out the wheel/tire combo for my father and my 66 Fury. My father really likes the original hubcap look of the car, and would like to retain that if at all possible. Unfortunately, we now need a 15" wheel to cover the '69 disc brake setup I have installed -- whereas our old hubcaps are for 14". Were these caps, or similar made in that size? Picture is for hubcap reference, not my car.
1233.jpg

Thank you,
Cameron

From '66-'68, the only 15" wheel covers were on the power front disc brake cars, but from '69-'78, all of the C-bodies came with 15" wheels. Many variables, some which might be less expensive than others.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

The original wheelcovers for 66 Fury were never made in a 15" size. Too bad, because they were a very nice wheel cover. They were used also on Canadian Dodge Monaco's in 1966 with a Dodge center rather than a Plymouth center.

20200625_165410.jpg

However, there is an excellent disc brake 15 in wheel cover that looks really good on those cars, and is correct for 1966. It was used on all see bodies that were equipped with disc brakes for that year.

Here's a picture of those wheel covers on my 66 Town and Country.

WAGON 1.jpg

They are out there if you look for them. You will need to use some sort of such as those found on mid-1980s mid-size and full-size Chryslers.

The alternative is to go with a 15" Magnum 500 wheel, with a chrome wheel, not a trim ring. They would have been "optionally" correct from 1967 and up, and are often seen as "day two" or in this case, "year two" owner modifications. Originals were only available in 14in but the aftermarket makes excellent 15 in versions that fit over 69 C body disc brake systems.

Here's a picture of them on my 66 Monacos.
RED DODGE 1.jpg

Turquoise Dodge.jpg

@Mike66Chryslers used an excellent combination of trim rings and dog dish hubcaps on his 1966 Chrysler. I'm sure that he will post a picture.

He's too slow... (I thought he'd respond immediately, but he's likely out enjoying a nice drive in the very car I'm talking about), so here's a picture of his wheel treatment which I copied off another post on this forum.

IMG_20210524_2039502_16x9_(1764x1080).jpg

He's too slow... (I thought he'd respond immediately, but he's likely out enjoying a nice drive in the very car I'm talking about), so here's a picture of his wheel treatment which I copied off another post on this forum.

View attachment 482436
Man Ross, you're on the money with all this info -- fantastic detail too. I am very grateful my friend.

If you're up for some surgery/ welding, you can modify a 15 in rim to accept the 14 inch wheel cover too.

Converting Your (Chrysler) Imperial's 15 inch Rims to 14 inch Wheel Rims

Best Mopar steel rim deal out there is a set from any 80's M Body (5th Ave, Diplomat, Gran Fury) they all came stock with 15x7s. Since they come from "malaise era" cars, they are often super cheap.
If you're up for some surgery/ welding, you can modify a 15 in rim to accept the 14 inch wheel cover too.

Converting Your (Chrysler) Imperial's 15 inch Rims to 14 inch Wheel Rims

Best Mopar steel rim deal out there is a set from any 80's M Body (5th Ave, Diplomat, Gran Fury) they all came stock with 15x7s. Since they come from "malaise era" cars, they are often super cheap.
Thanks for tip. I may look into that.

G'Day,
Many Years Ago a Friend of Mine Put a Set of 15" Wheels on his Dodge Custom Royal But Wanted to Keep his "Spinner" Hub Caps.
What he did was to Machine the H/Cap Retaining Lip off a 14" Rim (Pick a Tight Fitting Set) and Star Weld it to the 15" Rim with a Mig Welder.
A Little Work involved But after 20 Yrs they're Still Holding.
Depends on How Much Your Old DA Loves his Caps.
Kind Regards Tony.M

Here is a 66 Sport Fury with Chromie Magnum 500s - just what I was talking about as one option, although I'd do away with the RWL, and go with a white stripe instead - but that's just my preference. It looks great either way...

peg30PpeNe8kWDfQ-l417yRU2bP4P4oh70sYMn1NCARvA&_nc_ohc=aFxzVIW_LCQAX88te8c&_nc_ht=scontent-yyz1-1.jpg

Back