WANTED 15x8 Road Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're from an 'oh, yeah' wheel from the 70s. The trimring is unusual that it clips on the OD of the wheel, and grounds against tabs on the ID of the wheellip. Whereas most wheelcovers and rings simply push outward to the OD.

This method makes me think these rings won't come off the wheel as easily as the typical method.

I've hesitated putting these on a car as I figured if I lost one I'd never find a replacement. Might need to reconsider now...

upload_2019-9-8_13-12-15.png

upload_2019-9-8_13-12-48.png

The 79 Chrysler 300 used a similar wheel, made of aluminum (but with a different centercap) that could be polished to look like chrome. The wheel you posted does look like a chromed Roady, though.

Here are some fresh pics of that Cougar trimring I PM'd you about.
View attachment 315638

View attachment 315639

thanks .. i see what you mean with the Cougar job.

this wheel ..

unittled-3-jpg.jpg

is this wheel (number 2 - which was all aluminum, 15x7) I think all polished up ... you're right.

IMG_9018 (2).JPG

The finned plastic trim rings were clamped to the slots in 4-5 places around the wheel. The center cap had pressure tangs to hold it on. There were also on the B (R) Body 79 Doba "300"

Capture4.PNG

now, if i could find the "deep dish" MOPAR brand trim rings on wheel 3 above .. could be same ones on the Super Coupe F's?

Last edited:
That reminded me of a car my uncle's business partner had, just like this one, with the deep trim rings.

View attachment 315645

View attachment 315646

yup ... i am sure the trim ring/big, flat hubcap came in 15 inches .. it was on vans, the hubcap-only was on police cars ,etc.

The wheel/ring combo on the yellow Torino GT may have only be 14s but its stainless and has a Mopar-rish shape

Capture3.PNG
Capture2.PNG

Capture4.PNG

now, if i could find the "deep dish" MOPAR brand trim rings on wheel 3 above .. could be same ones on the Super Coupe F's?

Those F/M/J body era trim rings were 15x7 so they'd likely still leave a gap on your modified rims.

Those F/M/J body era trim rings were 15x7 so they'd likely still leave a gap on your modified rims.

yes .. youre absolutely right it'il still be there. The "gap" cannot be closed by any trim ring I ever recall seeing.

My goal was never to close it as even the 15x6 OEM wheel has it -- though its about 1/4 inch wide as the face of the center (the slotted area) is even a bit above the lowest edge of the OEM ring

i am content to rock and roll as is. Still, I like the full, bright look of the Road wheel -- she's gotta real purdy face and i still wanna show her off. Moving it two inches inboard defeated that goal somewhat in oblique angle lighting.

But the Super Coupe ring also has a tiny "lip" at the bottom edge, look like it fits tighter against sidewall of the shell .. lets light onto the full face of the wheel much more easily.

I am only debating stainless or chrome finish. Leaning toward stainless like the OEM ring finish :)

Last edited:
What are the 15x8 Corvette Ralley rings like? Are they what you need, maybe? If so, surely repopped!
Either way, try to go stainless IMO.

I remembered that there was something different about the alum 79 300 wheels vs the Roadies, couldn't remember what it was, and I now see it in these pics.

Road wheels are smooth up to the red line, then curve inward where there is a circular crease where the argent paint stops.
The 300 wheel goes up to a crease just inward of the slots, then curls inward and is smooth into the lugnut area. Similar creasing to the Chevy truck wheel, opposite of a Road.

The 'chrome' wheel makes it hard to really tell where the creases are due to all the reflections, but I see yet another clue that tells me 100% it's a chrome Road Wheel... Review Amazin's full-size pic up above and submit your guesses. :D

upload_2019-9-8_19-1-46.png

What are the 15x8 Corvette Ralley rings like? Are they what you need, maybe? If so, surely repopped!
Either way, try to go stainless IMO.

I remembered that there was something different about the alum 79 300 wheels vs the Roadies, couldn't remember what it was, and I now see it in these pics.

Road wheels are smooth up to the red line, then curve inward where there is a circular crease where the argent paint stops.
The 300 wheel goes up to a crease just inward of the slots, then curls inward and is smooth into the lugnut area. Similar creasing to the Chevy truck wheel, opposite of a Road.

The 'chrome' wheel makes it hard to really tell where the creases are due to all the reflections, but I see yet another clue that tells me 100% it's a chrome Road Wheel... Review Amazin's full-size pic up above and submit your guesses. :D

View attachment 315680

love a good puzzle.

I dont see the thing that confirms its a chromed, all-steel roadie vs. the 1979 300 all-aluminum wheel thats polished to within an inch of its life.

except .... oh .. i think I see it. will PM you

Last edited:
love a good puzzle.

I dont see the thing that confirms its a chromed, all-steel roadie vs. the 1979 300 all-aluminum wheel thats polished to within an inch of its life.

except .... oh .. i think I see it. will PM you
Your PM'd answer has merit, but isn't as discernible as what I saw. To find the answer, take off your shoes and socks and look at the full-size pics again...
I'll give an answer in the next day or so, if nobody gets it.

'79 15x7 road wheels with trim rings of 15x6 wheels and painted "shadow gap", having 275/60 on them

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
7.jpg
6.jpg

Forgot to follow up on this -
The 79 aluminum 300 wheel has the ridging differences I mentioned earlier, but if it's hard to tell in a picture, the conclusive answer is:

The '79 300 wheel has 15 slots, the Road Wheel has 16.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back