WANTED 15x8 Road Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the same wheel as the ones used on the Aspen Super Coupes etc.

7EDODGE_ASPEN_SUPER_COUPE.jpg

Mopar cop car wheels. Same wheel except for the "nubs" for the hubcaps.

69-series-chrysler-police-nocap_5.png

Super coupe wheels were 6 slot like the cop wheel w/o nubs ... the AMC ones above are 8 slot with no ridge around the center

Dunno if this is a member's car (pics came from EU website). I happen to like it tho .. but this is a wheel question. :)

these look like 18's .. can anyone identify brand of this wheel?

66-4.jpg

66-5.jpg

These Chevy wheels are indeed 15x8. Is it possible to use a Wheel adapter? If you dont go more then half a Inch that should be fine shouldnt it?

Picture004.jpg

Chrysler Road Wheel.jpg
Vanteen profiili.jpg

Back to the subject:

The Chrysler Road Wheel consists of a painted outer ring, and chrome plated inner part, which has been welded to the outer ring. The welding beads are about 4" each, and there are four beads at regular intervals. It is indeed possible to separate the ring, and the wheel proper, and replace the wheel with a wider one, or with a wider AND larger diameter one. It has been done, and I found two companies doing it over here on a regular basis. Just sent them inquiries for a quote. - I'll report on this shortly.

Vanteen sisäpuoli.jpg

These Chevy wheels are indeed 15x8. Is it possible to use a Wheel adapter? If you dont go more then half a Inch that should be fine shouldnt it?

View attachment 86949
First, I hate wheel adapters and spacers.

I think that even a 1/2" might space the wheel out so the tire would scuff the outer wheelhouse. Usually, you have to get your extra width by going in and increasing the back space as you get wider, but YMMV. I hate wheel adapters and spacers.

Honestly, I don't think a 1/2" wheel adapter is thick enough once you figure enough thickness for the length of the lugs sticking out and then enough "meat" in the bottom of the lug nut hole after you figure in the thickness of the lug nut etc. I think the minimum thickness would be more on the order of an inch.... Maybe 3/4", but still not a good idea. The farther they stick out, the weaker the assembly gets and the better opportunity is for failure. I hate wheel adapters and spacers.

Second, I hate wheel adapters and spacers.

And if I hadn't mentioned it, I hate wheel adapters and spacers.

Great thread that I just discovered. Hafta put my .02 in on a variety of things.

While we're on the subject (albeit off-topic :rolleyes:), I came across these two pics.

and this FAIL:

7853838508_f8fe09afe7_b.jpg

FWIW, that Impala wheel was a factory wheel included with that option package.

You would never want to alter the bolt holes of a wheel... Aside from the holes being properly spaced(extremely critical), they also MUST have a proper seat for the lugnut to interfere with/bite into... there is typically a 1 degree difference in the angles to provide "bite" and prevent loosening of the nuts. That angle is aluminum wheels it may be less on steel, but still critical.

Whenever buying or inspecting used rims, always look at the seats for damage caused by over torquing the nuts. It is still very common for an idiot and an impact wrench to hammer wheels into garbage... if the lug holes are wallowed out, forget it... it has been destroyed. I know you can straighten a bent wheel in some cases, but I don't know of anyone with a fix for the lug holes... maybe someone else does.

Agreed with this (mostly). If the center register hole matches to the hub of the car, concentricity is maintained. At that point the lugs are only required to provide clamp force. So - if you have a good wheel otherwise, a larger-seat lugnut (ie a 13/16 hex GM lugnut) can be a substitute. You'd need to exercise your own judgment on that based on the wheel. If an aftermarket wheel that is non-hub-centric, then the lugnuts provide more centering of the wheel upon lugnut installation, and that would be risky if lugseats were boogered.

Look back to post #2
in steel wheels its nearly impossible to make one perfect, so it should be no big deal unless they manage to get it way off/out of balance. In machined aluminum wheels it is common to have tire problems if the wheel was made too perfect, because the tire seldom is.
I was told number of years ago by a tire guy that each tire has a heavy spot, and the valve stem should be the rim's heavy spot, so those should be put opposite each other to minimize balance. HE said something about a molding gate being the tire's heavy spot (which makes sense) however something of that size surely has multiple molding gates, so I dunno.

Fitting a road wheel cap to that wheel sounds interesting. FWIW, I don't think they are fitted as straight and centered as you might think. With it being close to the center of the wheel, I don't think it is that important. Don't get me wrong, it needs to be close... and if your guy centered of the hole in the center of the wheel, it should be fine.
I think the centercaps are moutned pretty straight (wobble would be noticeable and bad for company image) but you are right, they are mounted close to CL of rotation and of minimal weight to make a balance issue. My only concern would be any wobble trying to tear the cap apart, so if they are mounted robustly I think they'd be fine.

Just chiming in for what its worth... If you do find a 8 inch rim make sure the tire doesnt rub on the skirts in the rear, if the car your're putting them on has them. (I don't recall you mentioning what they are going on.) My 73 Imperial has 8 inchers on it now and they are very close to rubbing on the skirts. Just food for thought. Watch what tire size you pick.

Agreed on this - make sure to check the fenderskirt latch also, as that's closest to the sidewall usually. And account for sidewall flex in a heavy turn, too.

I'll toss this one into the Road Wheel soup.

8 slot AMC:

1975_AACA_AMC_Pacer_X_red-white_wheel.jpg
Oh Stan... :rofl:
That's a 14in wheel, my friend. You'd need a 235/105-14 tire for that one.

Other stuff -
Those GM pickup wheels, yes, have a different BP and are not usable as-is, and I abhor adapter plate also. I believe these wheels also have an extra pronounced ridge in them just inward of the 16 slots, although it's been years since I saw one in person. (I think I see it in the pics in an earlier post)

I have seen a number of articles on the internet about homemade wheel widening (and I believe this would be doable for skilled DIY folks willing to invest in some fab-jig stuff). It's kinda like file-fitting rings, involves a lot of time and patience, carefully adjusting, measuring, tapping to/fro and then cautious welding. For someone wanting to attempt it, a set of those wheels might be good donors for outer hoops (but diameters of components need verified). Some precision-ground steel setup pieces would be needed, when I dug into this it looked like about $100 investment @ Mcmaster.

And I would consider any wheel widened via a strip of metal to be inferior to a wheel center welded into the desired-width hoop.

Amazingblue82 -
Keep in mind on your trimrings - assuming same offset, widening a wheel by 1" gives only 1/2" additional gap at the trimring. In the grand scheme you would learn to not see it? You could have the wheel offset adjusted slightly to reduce that gap also, and probably without any clearance issues. But you'd hafta check that, of course.

thanks fury fan.

i think if i did my "farmers math" right, at my spec of 15x8 and 4.5 in. backspacing, the face of the wheel gets 1.5 inches deeper vs stock OEM 15x6 C-body version. i am perfectly fine being corrected if I'm off base :)

that would be a straight add to the OEM gap..which as i reflect may still look cool as i really want a 15x6 or 15x7 stainless "road wheel" trim ring.

thanks for your informed and detailed inputs to this thread.

Last edited:
Id leave the face alone and put all the backspacing I can get.....thats my eventual plan for Roadies and 275s

Id leave the face alone and put all the backspacing I can get.....thats my eventual plan for Roadies and 275s

im with you on the goal

i worry if you do nothing with the 15x6 road wheel face depth, and go 15x8 plus a fatter tire (275/60 vs 235/70-75), you'll get 2.5-3.0 inches all on inboard side. not sure you get suspension clearance in that case.

youre an expert and can do the math on your own of course and figure what works with your setup. i dont presume to know what will work for you :)

when i kept OEM 4.0 inch backspacing on my 71 Newport, with 15x8 aftermarket wheel and 235/70 tires, quarter clearance on front side was borderline (no margin for tire flex/body roll). fronts were fine.

the same tire/wheel width with 4.5 backspacing was perfect in my case. thats how i got my "Project Wide-Road" spec :)

i think if i dis my "farmers math" right, at my spec of 15x8 and 4.5 in. backspacing, the face of the wheel gets 1.5 inches deeper vs stock OEM 15x6 C-body version. i am perfect fine being corrected if I'm off base :)

that would be a straight add to the OEM gap..which as i reflect may still look cool as i really want a 15x6 or 15x7
stainless "road wheel" trim ring.
I don't know the 15x6 wheel specs, but if they have a 4" BS then yes, I agree with your math.

For that one the wheel hoop would need to be evaluated, as the 'inner ridge' where the wheel center mounts may not be deep enough to allow the wheel centerdisc to move outward to the original wheels frontspace measurement (is frontspace a word?) They are generally set up for be centered? As an example, I looked at mounting CrownVic brake rotors to a C-body drum caliper. The calipers I looked at (Vic, 69-71C and 74-78 C) would not fit behind a 15" wheel (no surprise) so I looked at the Vic wheel. The Vic wheel at that point was pretty tight axially, and the centerdisc of the wheel could only move about 5/8" before it fell off the mounting ridge in the wheel. (that's related to the DIY wheel widening I mentioned earlier. For the Vic wheel the 7" was wide enough for me, I just wanted it to look deeper and give more clearance. Cut the disc welds with a diegrinder, tap it deeper, and reweld.)

I too have 15 x 8s on my 71 ... with the TTs

DSCF0203.JPG

Im not a wheel guy but I believe a road wheel widened a couple inches, all on the back side should work ....I will leave that to the wheel guy to figure out

While I am at this road wheel thing, I need another set of these caps. The one piece 1970 (?) to 1973 (?) version -- someone please correct me with the MY usage.

Searched the for sale posts didn't see any. Thanks for any feedback/direction OR PM me if you have a set you'd like to sell.

RoadWheels2.jpg

Keep hunting...they'll turn up

had to buy three sets of used road wheels just to get one good set of these caps. :)

though i know they are out there/have come up for sale, haven't seen a good set by themselves for several years now.

I looked for years for good pieces. I happened upon a table at Carlisle where a guy had several NOS sets for sale but I was about 30 seconds late as a fellow C body guy had gotten there ahead of me. I consider him a friend but he bought everyone the guy had. A few years later the buyer had sold me a set of four for $800. A year or so after another NOS set came upon e bay for a grand (different seller), Derek ended up buying those. Within the last year I happened upon three more NOS centers that I just had to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back