WANTED 15x8 Road Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
The GM truck wheel that are 15x8 have a 5 on 5 bolt pattern, not sure about the width of the Impala wheels but the full size GM cars all use 5 on 5 bolt patterns. The mid size cars use 5 on 4 3/4 bolt pattern.

And these are on a newport? If so its good to know the backspacing etc.

yes, 15x8, 4.5 inch backspacing, 235/70-15 tires, on my a 71 Newport with factory front/rear suspension.

Other people have gone with more backspacing (5 or 5.5 inches with 15x8 and/or 15x8.5 wide wheels) with success,

BUT its always best to do your measurements on your own car before you pick what combination of wheel/tire will work for you for looks and more important clearances.

good luck! :)

yes, 15x8, 4.5 inch backspacing, 235/70-15 tires, on my a 71 Newport with factory front/rear suspension.

Other people have gone with more backspacing (5 or 5.5 inches with 15x8 and/or 15x8.5 wide wheels) with success,

BUT its always best to do your measurements on your own car before you pick what combination of wheel/tire will work for you for looks and more important clearances.

good luck! :)
Thanks for the info. Mine is a 70 and all factory as well.

Thanks for the info. Mine is a 70 and all factory as well.

then that, in addition to some tape measures with wheels OFF the car first as the final confirmation, should give you some confidence that (before you buy anything) you can get a nice fat wheel/tire combo (225/70, 235/70, 255/60, 275/60 tires on a 15x8 wheel with 4.5 to 5.5 inch backspacing) tucked in the back and with absolutely NO issues in front.

I bought these wheels from haywire440.

SOLD - (3)15”x6” ‘72-4 b/c (1) 15”x6” ‘70 Styled Wheels

great guy to deal with, great wheels, fair price ...thanks boss.

I cleaned up two shown below, and the other two are gone to get 15x8'ed. Yes, widened, 4.5 inch backspacing, will have 'em back in a couple weeks.

The technique is center section is separated from the old shell. this of course destroys the old 15x6 shell, but singes the hub piece (scorches the paint off, the chrome is fine). a new 15x8 steel shell is welded to the hub piece and viola.

anyway, the two 15x6's below cleaned up nice so i am getting excited to get the new 15x8's back. i'll post them here then close this thread. you'll see them on a car in in another thread after that.

20190824_171819.jpg
20190824_171844.jpg
20190824_171953.jpg
20190824_171936.jpg

Last edited:
I bought these wheels from haywire440.

SOLD - (3)15”x6” ‘72-4 b/c (1) 15”x6” ‘70 Styled Wheels

great guy to deal with, great wheels, fair price ...thanks boss.

I cleaned up two shown below, and the other two are gone to get 15x8'ed. Yes, widened, 4.5 inch backspacing, will have 'em back in a couple weeks.

The technique is center section is separated from the old shell. this of course destroys the old 15x6 shell, but singes the hub piece (scorches the paint off, the stainless is fine). a new 15x8 steel shell is welded to the hub piece and viola.

anyway, the two 15x6's below cleaned up nice so i am getting excited to get the new 15x8's back. i'll post them here then close this thread. you'll see them on a car in in another thread after that.

View attachment 312479 View attachment 312478 View attachment 312477 View attachment 312476
If you don't mind... what's the cost per wheel to have that done?

If you don't mind... what's the cost per wheel to have that done?

not at all boss. $165 a wheel {plus from my zip code $100 round trip fedex shipping)

i thought that was imminently reasonable given the labor involved AND the equipment (welders, jigs/fixtures) one needs to do it. bad news, if any, is scorching the center piece to the extent you gotta repaint it. but hey, you're already altering an original piece with the widening so ....

the really bad news? the guy doing this work indicated my set of two wheels is the last he's doing before retirement. I wanted four done but he respectfully just watned to do two.

i will ask him who he recommends/where his equipment may be going after he exits the business

Not personally Bob.... I don't even like to paint
Thatz what Powder Coating iz for Dave. I had an All White 5 window A-100 pickup for yearz that I ran 15X8 cop wheelz that I had Pearl White Powder Coated with holly Dawg Dishes on. My Hurst came with Roadys on it and I wouldn't have changed them for nothin'. Not Road Wheelz on the A-100 for sure, but some timez you just gotta bend ah bit?

They're here.

Sorry about photo quality. I was losing light after work and wanted to get them done. Will get some bright sunlight.

These are fresh outta the box photos.

20190907_095513.jpg
20190907_095633.jpg
20190907_095601.jpg
20190907_095537.jpg

Freshen the centers and repaint. centers get scorched in removal and replacement/welding. Wet sand, dry, mask/sand again, two coats, and good enough for me.

20190907_104616 (1).jpg
20190907_105136 (1).jpg
20190907_105224.jpg
20190907_095451.jpg

Finished. Hand- hammered rings on .. couldnt place my hands on rubber mallet. THey fit the new wheels perfectly

Two observations:

1. OEM trim ring does create "shadows". obvious in dim light, less so in bright light. Solution. Non-OEM chromed rings. Need a "deeper" ring to show full face of rears. Not planning to do this though

2. Good with a brighter paint underneath the OEM trim ring in rear. No plan to do that either​

Will decide how they look on the car in a few months. again, i am inclined to do nothing else 'cept roll with 'em.

Btw, will get better, full on daylight pics later today.

20190907_114516.jpg
20190907_114618.jpg
20190907_114635.jpg
20190907_114902.jpg

How confident are you that these are dead-on true in their balancing.

Reputation of the maker Stan -- knowledge of process, equipment used to do the work, satisfied customers, etc.

But, to your point, I am not truly 'done" till tires mounted and balanced.

Non- OEM Ring Example.

These are 2 1/2 inch deep suitable for 15x8 wheels. I'd get matching 1 1/2 inch for fronts.

Mopar purists would know immediately what was up with the rings, but the "deep look" of a 15x8 rear would be preserved in a way an OEM ring wasnt designed/available to do.

rings 1.png
rings 2.png
rings 3.png

Last edited:
Amazinblue -
Good call on the different trimrings, that shadow with the OEMs does look funny.

I'm curious why he welded them so much more than factory (which was 4 locations, 5-6" long), but then he didn't weld them a full 360° either.
Why did he skip some small areas?
And the skipping looks to be inconsistent between the 2 wheels?

I've welded quite a bit, and I will not call myself a pro or expert, but some of that welding looks a little funny to me.
Some of those welds look like they stand kinda tall, and don't really blend into both pieces of metal - some areas look like a metallic caterpillar with legs.
I realize you need to skip around on a wheel, to keep runout in check, so there are going to be starts/stops in the welds. (I see those locations)
It almost looks like 2 different people welded on the same wheel, like someone tacked it in as trued-up, and someone else finished it up.

I know we can't determine weld integrity from a photo, but the inconsistency in the beads really jumped out at me.

Amazinblue -
Good call on the different trimrings, that shadow with the OEMs does look funny.

I'm curious why he welded them so much more than factory (which was 4 locations, 5-6" long), but then he didn't weld them a full 360° either.
Why did he skip some small areas?
And the skipping looks to be inconsistent between the 2 wheels?

I've welded quite a bit, and I will not call myself a pro or expert, but some of that welding looks a little funny to me.
Some of those welds look like they stand kinda tall, and don't really blend into both pieces of metal - some areas look like a metallic caterpillar with legs.
I realize you need to skip around on a wheel, to keep runout in check, so there are going to be starts/stops in the welds. (I see those locations)
It almost looks like 2 different people welded on the same wheel, like someone tacked it in as trued-up, and someone else finished it up.

I know we can't determine weld integrity from a photo, but the inconsistency in the beads really jumped out at me.
thanks boss.

viewed from backside, the OEM wheel center welds "skip" in four places (no beads at al). Nobody jump on me ... just my experience and I am no expert. I looked at the six sets I have right now and they all look the same.

that said, the OEM beads cover 90% of the perimeter. My guy did 100% .. though that intermittent thermal scoring on the outside of the shell may suggest otherwise.

Since the OEM wheels are all factory painted, we don't see the impression on outside of shell.

I am confident the widened wheels are structurally sound enough for anything I would do ... will they balance tho? I will soon see.

On the appearance .. the wider gap looks "funny". I still dig it .. because the C these are going on is "different" too.

I still might try the deeper rings (i already have a set of four .. gotta get two shallower ones) -- they are chrome-plated vs stainless which will change the look a bit more. We'll see on the car and go from there.

Last edited:
to my knowledge there are no Mopar factory "deep" trim rings i could press in to service so to speak for the rears (except the 15x7 "road wheels?) .

I got a PM suggestion that 70's Fords had some, with similar looks at the Mopar road wheel rings .. in stainless and with a comparable shape (flat rim and deep unlike Mopar, but kept some semblance that little "curl" at the bottom (14s and 15s, top pic))

I think there was a chrome version too .. maybe its AM only (second pic) but the 71-73 Fords had them, many times with their flattish poverty caps.

Other ideas from anyone?

BTW, I personally am NOT offended, nor concerned about rankling anyone, if its suggested or i use a "Ford" or "GM" ring so please hope we dont have THAT debate here -- lets keep it light ok? :)

Untitled1.jpg
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
unittled 3.jpg

and then there is this ... never saw one from the factory to my knowledge .. i presume somebody took the 15x7 factory road wheel and chromed it, ditching the ring all together?

I am not as keen on any look that doesnt have a trim ring .. but its cool by me if somebody likes this all chrome look.

AKH Vintage Wheels - Ellensburg Washington

The 79 Chrysler 300 used a similar wheel, made of aluminum (but with a different centercap) that could be polished to look like chrome. The wheel you posted does look like a chromed Roady, though.

Here are some fresh pics of that Cougar trimring I PM'd you about.
upload_2019-9-8_13-6-35.png

upload_2019-9-8_13-7-20.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back