1958 300 D with fuel injection, 1 of 21

Reaction score
I attended the Fall Fling all MoPar meet in Van Nuys yesterday and the standout car there was a 300D with fuel injection.
I had read about the attempt but never saw one until yesterday.
I believe ai found it on the internet, it is a Jay Leno garage restoration.
looks like a 99+ point car.

300d-1.jpg

300d-2.jpg

300d-3.jpg

If that is the car I suspect it might be, it belongs (belonged) to Jay's head mechanic, who did the restoration of it. A YouTube video, too.

Thanks for the pictures!
CBODY67

That's per's car. Great piece and a real car. Making the old stuff work is about impossible. We're trying to do it now with 58 300D Vin 1, which was FI.

That's per's car. Great piece and a real car. Making the old stuff work is about impossible. We're trying to do it now with 58 300D Vin 1, which was FI.
I watched an update on Jay Leno's Garage YouTube channel about that car. It has Holley TBI hiding under those air cleaners.

Kevin

I watched an update on Jay Leno's Garage YouTube channel about that car. It has Holley TBI hiding under those air cleaners.
I wonder how they got those air cleaners to have good baseplates under there? The originals surely won't work, from the original oval TB to the Holley (which I assume has the modern 5-1/8" size of a carb neck). Unless they used Holley 2-V types from years ago (which are similar to GM TBs from the 90s).

If I were trying to make an early system work, I'd for sure be using a MegaSquirt or some other aftermarket type of controller. Those have so much tunability for various parameters (accel enrichment, decel enrichment, fuel wetting of manifold/port walls, ignition timing, etc). Even if the original system was reliable, I wonder how well it would perform compared to modern tech?

That is Per Blixt's car, who is Jay's chief body/paint guy, not his head mechanic. Per did his best to preserve as much of the original fuel injection look to his restoration as possible (so some of the hardware is original) but he has actually adapted some Bosch Fuel Injectors and other elements to his engine, not a Holley system.

Per is a really nice guy and he tells me that Jay is the best boss he has ever had. Per took me though Jay's collection and I also had lunch with Jay and his workshop staff maybe some 10 years ago now when I delivered some Dodge Polara door panels to Per at his "work address". Little did I know at the time that he worked for Jay until he opened the gated collection to let me in to deliver the door panels to him.

The Chrysler 300 Club International, Inc. had its Fall yearly meet in Monrovia, California two weeks ago now and Per brought his car to that meet as well as Fall Fling and he had it on display at Jay Leno's garage when the 300 Club members had a tour of Jay's collection as two groups of 90 people each, or 180 total folks. We club members thought we might get to just meet Jay at his collection, but instead Jay personally hosted both the morning group and the afternoon groups himself and he let all the club members ask him as many questions as they wanted. We never thought he would essentially spend his whole day with the 300 Club members doing the tours personally. Per was also a part of the tours along with Jay. Just super, down to earth guys for sure. Most of the Chrysler 300 club members were floored that Jay would take so much of his time with all 180 of us.

On the heels of the other EFI thread where I'm trying to get info on my 1959 EFI intake manifold - do you have any contact info for Per Blixt?

On the heels of the other EFI thread where I'm trying to get info on my 1959 EFI intake manifold - do you have any contact info for Per Blixt?
Sorry, I do not have any current contact information for Per. I see him at shows and talk with him quite a bit but no other direct communication.

Maybe if you can call the collection and ask for him he might be willing to talk with you is all I can suggest. Like I said, he is a very easy to talk with kind of guy and might be willing to share more detailed information on his conversion.

This may be old news to you and Herb.......

Back