For Sale 1958 Plymouth Belvedere - 27k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been told they were never made in red by more than one person. What's the real story

This is a great car all by itself, why do so many folks insist on making the connection to "Christine"? I would love to see a nice Buckskin Beige model... the red wannabe's make me want to go look at something else.

But this one isn't a Fury, it's a Belvedere.

Yep. This one is a Belvedere. Not a Fury. Christine was a Belvedere with Fury trim if I recall correctly.

Yep. This one is a Belvedere. Not a Fury. Christine was a Belvedere with Fury trim if I recall correctly.

Christine was a Belvedere with Sport tone trim which was optional on the Belvedere and standard on the Fury. The Belvedere could be had with a secondary paint color treatment, (usually matched on the top), or with a silver or gold anodized insert. All the Fury's came gold only. It makes no difference to most folks what Christine was, they still call most forward look 57-59 Plymouths "Christine". I had a black 58 Savoy sport coupe and heard it called "Christine" several times.
58 plymouth.jpg

Like Jeff says, it's sad that so many nice 58's get the "Christine" treatment with no regards to the original color. It's like the movie character car is the focus instead of the car. These cars made a huge impact on automotive design in the day and should command more respect then a story car.

Stephen King used a Fury in his book for the connection the name made to the storyline it had nothing to do with the car Hollywood used in the movie as a beige forward look is not as intimidating as the Royal Red for obvious reasons. However a forward look car chasing you down while on fire is exciting no matter what colour it is....

The movie was a huge let down after enjoying the book so much... what can I say... gearhead kid in Pittsburgh, I had to love it.

The book was great, but then so was the movie. I never get tired of watching it.
IDK... having the book set in my hometown was just too cool as a kid, and still would please me today. As soon as I saw the movie was set in California, it was just wrong... and though I do see the logistical problem solved by the bulldozer, I wanted to see "Petunia".

I bet its been over a decade since I saw the movie... and 3 since I read the book. IIRC the movie was too 80s stereotypical... and I never want to see it remade.

I haven't read the book but thought the movie was outstanding!

I haven't read the book but thought the movie was outstanding!

You should take the time to read the book Bob. As good as the movie was, the book is better. Kind of like the "Shining". If you think the movie is anything like the book you'd be wrong. THAT movie sucked.

The movie was what it was meant to be, entertaining. Books that movies are based on are always much more interesting, but it's more convenient to plop your butt down with a bucket of popcorn and be entertained. The car in the book was a 4 door. The only truth in the movie, was, there is only one way to kill a Plymouth. Maybe.....

m1500.jpg

And that is why I never want a remake... too many would be killed.
m1500-jpg.90815

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back