1958 Plymouth Belvedere

In the book Christine, Steven King refers to the shift lever for the hydromatic transmission. I think he missed a chance to show the pushbuttons lit up at night. It's his car, so he can do what he wants. I personally think the Christine thing is played out.

The hose to the air cleaner is not factory, but looks nicely-executed. Only thing better might be to find an OEM section of heater hose with a 90 degree bend formed into it, to replace it.

Considering the hose is in a location inside of the filter element, perhaps that was designed to potentially keep dust out of the engine better than the hogshair breather cap might?

I recall seeing a parking brake "ON" light on an aunt's '52 Dodge. Such things would have been factory equipment, if not optional on the window sticker, on Dodges as they were a more-upscale brand than "entry level" Plymouth. Yet, they could have been option on Plymouths, with the dealer-add-on kit to accomplish the same, if desired by the owner. Or perhaps the kit was really a Dodge-application kit that would work on Plymouths, too?

Back then, according to some of the writings of "Curtis Redfern" at the earlier Allpar.com, there was quite a bit of competition between Plymouth Division and Dodge Division of Chrysler Corp back then. There were many things they did NOT corroborate on, back then, which continued up into the 1967 models or so. Just as the GM divisions did, too.

As to the Impala back-up lights, until you get the OEM back-up light replaced, leave them there. Might remove the chrome item, though. Later on, with the OEM backup light in place and working (probably with LED bulbs for added brightness), then you can get some reflectorized tape, cut some out and trim it, to cover the white lens. Adding two sizeable red reflectors to the rear of the car. When you get the car repainted, then you can remove them if desired.

The power brake/master cylinder issue also exists up until the body changed in 1962, I suspect. The car magazines back then zinged Chrysler for that situation, too.

It will be a good project AND be worth any efforts to make it operate again as it used to when newer. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Happy Holidays,
CBODY67

I actually like the old power brake set up. The master cylinder does not push through the brake booster so if the booster goes bad you just end up with manual brakes. The booster pushes the top of the pedal and adds some assist. The top of the master cylinder comes off pretty easy7 with a box wrench.

I have seen hundreds of 57/58 Plymouths and I've never seen one with that in place.
1957 Plymouth FSM.
Page 488.
Lamp chart.
Models -p-30, p-31,Lp-1, Lp-2.
Hand brake signal lamp- Candle power 6, lamp number 90.

Doesn't show up in the wiring diagrams though.

Wow, how cool to find out this is a parking brake light. I did check under the dash and I see the parking brake signal switch mounted by the lever. So clearly that is what was there. It also sounds like not many cars came with this option.

Thanks so much Jakter for the picture, that was super helpful.

As to the color...the factory color appears to be a teal blue. The door jambs and trunk have not faded and it is a very beautiful color.

I saw this car listed a few weeks back and given the terrible ad and photos I figured it was a scam. Guess it wasn’t!

It could very easily be a Plaza converted to a Belvedere trim level. Plazas could be ordered with any of the options that car has. The serial number is not likely to be wrong…

Plazas will have silver painted steel tailight assemblies and steel trim above the headlights and under the hood. On other models these pieces are aluminum. Most people don’t bother swapping those out when putting on the higher level trim.

You can also look inside the trunk at the quarters and see if there are holes on the upper end of the fins where Plaza badges would have been. The aluminum sportone inserts will cover up any old holes. Factory aluminum sportone cars will also have a three stud bracket at the back of the quarter insert that you’d be able to see the nuts for inside the trunk. Most people don’t bather adding the bracket when swapping stuff.

I’ve seen many examples of cheap model cars getting the higher trim at some point just to make the car look more appealing to a buyer or the owner wanted to jazz the car up.

That is a brake warning light to the left of the switches. Seldom seen but was available.

The hose going to the air cleaner is added. It’s a rudimentary PCV system that pretty much all cars in CA were required to do years later. Most old cars still on the road in the 70s would have some sort of variation of this done to it. Just for making the emissions people happy.

What does the interior look like? Does it have the Belvedere spec interior as well?

Another thing to check is the body tag if it has one… under the hood on the firewall. Look for the paint code. If it was a factory aluminum sportone car it would have code JJ3 most likely. Arctic Turquoise Roof and Body and the 3 means aluminum sportone insert.

The color is probably Arctic Turquoise. Here’s an example:
IMG_5972.jpeg

For a 4 door the FL hardtops are very appealing

i have the roof trim if you need it. for the pass side I believe

I checked the tail light assemblies and they are both the textured aluminum inserts, not painted. The trim above the headlights is also aluminum. I also checked the body tag under the hood and it does say JJ3. As for the interior, not sure what specifically makes a Belvedere interior. Is there something specific? The previous owner many, many years ago had the interior redone in a brown/black color combination.

Thanks Weiland but I was lucky in that both of the roof trim pieces were included in the trunk. If not, I would definitely follow up with you. Also, what is a 4 door FL?

Thanks again to everyone for all the priceless information!!

Thanks Weiland but I was lucky in that both of the roof trim pieces were included in the trunk. If not, I would definitely follow up with you. Also, what is a 4 door FL?

Thanks again to everyone for all the priceless information!!
4 door FL ( forward look)

I checked the tail light assemblies and they are both the textured aluminum inserts, not painted. The trim above the headlights is also aluminum. I also checked the body tag under the hood and it does say JJ3. As for the interior, not sure what specifically makes a Belvedere interior. Is there something specific? The previous owner many, many years ago had the interior redone in a brown/black color combination.
Are you sure you’ve gotten the serial number down correctly? I’m going to say this car IS a Belvedere.

Is the serial number spot welded to the pillar properly? If it has screws or rivers…. I guess someone could have swapped serial numbers at some point.

The one thing I am confused about is the door tag lists it as an LP2L car which would make it a Plymouth Plaza....
LP2L does NOT mean it's a Plaza, but just that it was manufactured in the Los Angeles plant.
Your car is a Belvedere, no doubt.

1701424064738.png

Wow, that is very helpful. I'm happy to hear the car is what I thought it was and it matches up with what the seller told me that her aunt originally bought the car in Los Angeles. Thanks so much to everyone for all the help!!

Good morning everyone,

I finally bought my first Plymouth. It is a 1958 Plymouth Belvedere 4 door. I was looking for a 2 door but they are VERY hard to find and are CRAZY EXPENSIVE. The car I bought has the 4 barrel V8 and 3 speed push button automatic. The car has been in the same family since new. I bought it from an older lady who's aunt bought it originally and passed it on to her Car has very little to no rust in the floors and trunk. Does have a few small rust holes behind the left/right side bottom of the rear window and the same on the front window. The car has an older restoration on the interior but the driver seat is a little torn. Car was repainted the original blue at one time but based on the paint fading, that repaint was a long time ago.

The one thing I am confused about is the door tag lists it as an LP2L car which would make it a Plymouth Plaza....but it has the factory V8, 4 barrel carb, dual exhaust, the push button 3 speed transmission, power brakes, power steering, dual fender mirrors, the shark fins on the front fender, the factory radio, the clock in the gauge cluster, the gold V badge on the front grill, the dual angled power rear antennas, the ribbed chrome on the roof over the doors, Belvedere badges on the quarter panels and all the chrome/inserts going down each side exactly like a Belvedere/Fury. The seller said it was a Belvedere when new and based on how stock the car is I don't see that they modified anything. Could there be some goof up on the tag? It also seems to have an extra set of tail lights right next to the license plate. I'm assuming those were added a long time ago. There is also a blank spot where some option was on the dash next to the headlamp knob (see photo). The seller could not remember what went there and I've not seen this knob in any pictures.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

View attachment 630050

View attachment 630052

View attachment 630053

View attachment 630054

View attachment 630056
The extra rear lights are Chevrolet parts, probably from a ' 63 and look like backup lights. The right red tail light lens appears to be completely missing. The hose running from the rocker cover to the top of the air cleaner is a mandated California retrofit for air pollution. I dont think the "knob" on the i/p should be a knob at all. It may very well be the warning light that the parking brake lever has been pulled. It's to keep your from driving off with it still engaged.

Back