1958 Plymouth Belvedere - valuable or rare

WikedPlymouth

Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

I'm new to the forum. Been chasing my version of a "Christine" car for awhile and finally realizing that any 2 door 57 or 58 Plymouths are CRAZY expensive and super hard to find. Finally decided I might get a version of "Christine" with 2 extra doors. Not what I originally wanted but may be all that I can afford.

So, wanted to ask what a fair price is for a 1958 Plymouth Belvedere that looks complete, has very little to no rust or dents and starts up and runs? Not much to compare too so thought I would ask you guys for your thoughts.

Thanks so much!!

WOW...$2,500??? I've not seen any prices close to that in California. So, a 4 door 1958 Plymouth Belvedere in good shape that runs is only worth $2,500 in Florida? Hard to believe. What are 2 doors worth? It may be worth a drive to Florida!!

The car I was looking at is a sedan (has the door pillars) and has original light blue paint and the V8 engine.

$2,500 is getting into parts car territory. If it runs and drives and is all there it should go for at least $7,500. That is for a 4 door sedan that needs some work. 2 door hardtops are going for lots more. Even 2 door sedans are starting to get a lot of money. The 2 door sedan uses the same roofline as a 4 door sedan so if you have the skills it could be converted to a 2 door sedan. The 2 door hardtop uses a completely different roof. I have owned 57/58 Plymouths since 1964. I remember when no one wanted them. Back then I got parts cars for free. I just had to tow them away.

DCMC is right. Christine is a 4 door in the book. In the book it also says that it was not red from the factory but the owner had it painted. Mr. King had quite a few things out of wack in the book. Christine has a Hydromatic tranny with the gear selector on the column in the book. I would have thought that he would have done a little research before writing. It was still good.

If your in California call John at
Big M auto. 530 473 2225
He has several builders and parts cars.
Probably the most 57/58s on the planet.

Here is John’s Christine at big m

On the underside trunk is signed by some original cast members of movie.
Moochie wrote (You aren’t mad are you John)
Buddy wrote (I’m going to **** this car up)

The girl Liegh wrote (I hate this car)
I will get some pics next time I go there.

IMG_7544.jpeg

The 58 Plymouth are indeed expensive, and that's only the tip of the iceberg!

Because any part for those cars (apart from engine and transmission parts) are unobtainium and crazy expensive. More often than not, there's only 1 vendor in the whole wide world, and the price is whatever he decides. Not to mention that some of them treat the customer like **** (Mopar Mel, George Laurie, SMS, ... to name a few).

The only exception to all that mess is John Fowlie at Big M Automotive in Williams, CA.
This guy is very friendly, has a lot of parts, and sells them at a reasonable price.
If you are in California, It would be worthwhile it to pay him a visit.

Been there, done that ... and restored my 58 Belvedere 2 door hardtop!

1699602520262.jpeg

(I know, the rear valance is missing, but it has been installed since then)

He used a 57 Fury. In the movie Christine is a 58 Belvedere.
Oh boy!
Here we go ...

Thanks for all the info. I will definitely keep John in mind if I end up getting a Plymouth. Besides the 4 door sedan I mentioned, I also found a 2 door 1957 Plymouth Fury a guy has for sale. The floors and trunks have been redone but the entire car has been taken apart. I mean every nut, bolt and wire has been removed and put into boxes. There is a shell of a car and many, many boxes of parts that go with the car. No engine or transmission but a new interior. Guy is asking $18k. Not sure if that is a good price or not as 2 door cars are hard to find and the ones I do find are completely restored and expensive. Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

Besides the 4 door sedan I mentioned, I also found a 2 door 1957 Plymouth Fury a guy has for sale. The floors and trunks have been redone but the entire car has been taken apart. I mean every nut, bolt and wire has been removed and put into boxes. There is a shell of a car and many, many boxes of parts that go with the car. No engine or transmission but a new interior. Guy is asking $18k. Not sure if that is a good price or not as 2 door cars are hard to find and the ones I do find are completely restored and expensive. Any thoughts?

I would avoid buying a completely disassembled car like this one, mainly for 2 reasons :

1. Unless you have an extensive experience with these cars, you'll be forever wondering how the parts were assembled on the car to start with, and in what sequence. It's always better to have been to one that disassembled it, taking plenty of pictures in the process.

2. You will never know for sure what parts are missing when you buy the car, and it will be a constant pain when you'll undoubtedly discover (again and again) that some parts are indeed missing. It may be a screw, a bolt, a grommet or part of a trim. But it'll always be frustrating and expensive.

Been there, done that.
My 58 Belvedere was a empty shell with lots of boxes.

You can get someone like Chrome58 to look at the state of the car. I have rebuilt a couple Fwl cars so i know what to look for also.

Nuts and bolts don't bother me unless you want a OEM factory perfect restore, heck i use stainless bolts on mine.

But you would need to take pics of whats in the boxes to get an idea.

18k for a project is tough... but if everything is there and in good shapes its probably doable at 15k, a 57 Fury is a valuable car(50k probably)

But these cars are starting to get to 57 chevy prices :) I love how people are like NO way... the 57 Chevy buyer is like no problem.

The tables are starting to turn slowly where the finned mopars are certainly picking up in value as they are becoming impossible to find.

This is like the 68-70 Chargers when people were like 1000$ for a parts 2 door ht... now they are WAY up... and people are paying 6-10k for a shell and the muscle mopars are way up.

I am going to chop this 58 Belvedere up right now to cut the roof off right now :) I picked up a nearly rust free 2 door sedan from John at Big M

plymouth6 (1).jpg

You can get someone like Chrome58 to look at the state of the car. I have rebuilt a couple Fwl cars so i know what to look for also.

Nuts and bolts don't bother me unless you want a OEM factory perfect restore, heck i use stainless bolts on mine.

But you would need to take pics of whats in the boxes to get an idea.

18k for a project is tough... but if everything is there and in good shapes its probably doable at 15k, a 57 Fury is a valuable car(50k probably)

But these cars are starting to get to 57 chevy prices :) I love how people are like NO way... the 57 Chevy buyer is like no problem.

The tables are starting to turn slowly where the finned mopars are certainly picking up in value as they are becoming impossible to find.

This is like the 68-70 Chargers when people were like 1000$ for a parts 2 door ht... now they are WAY up... and people are paying 6-10k for a shell and the muscle mopars are way up.

I am going to chop this 58 Belvedere up right now to cut the roof off right now :) I picked up a nearly rust free 2 door sedan from John at Big M

View attachment 627341
Why are you cutting off the roof? is it badly rusted? The 2 door sedan has a different roof and would not fit on a 2 door hardtop. I agree with you on the prices. 2 door hardtops be it a Fury or Belvedere and even Savoys in nice condition are going for pretty high prices these days.

You are going to convert a post to a coupe. I’m interested in your process in changing roof structure.

I have a 61 Belvedere coupe that has a rusty roof but a solid body.
I have another 61 Belvedere with a rusty body and a solid roof! I would like to do a complete roof structure swap.

I’ve had a few people tell me I’m going to ruin both cars and that they are going warp and twist!
I’m an accomplished welder, but a novice at such major bodywork. What it takes to line it all up.
Please post pics of your process.

nah people have done this honestly not that hard. I will secure and brace and even "tension" the body. before I cut the 2 door sedan.
And as long as roof goes where its supposed to... it cant be twisted or warped.

That back window panel is the worst of it, front is very easy.

2 door sedan is not difficult. Have you seen cold war motors swap a 2 door body on a 4 door sedan? that was a LOT harder

Last edited:
Back