1958 Plymouth Belvedere

As a fan of these cars, owning a 57 now and have owned several 57/58 Plymouths in the past, those lights would be the first thing I fixed. The taillight lenses are easy to come by and you can get sockets from the local parts stores. Other than that, the car looks nice.

Wow, how cool to find out this is a parking brake light. I did check under the dash and I see the parking brake signal switch mounted by the lever. So clearly that is what was there. It also sounds like not many cars came with this option.

Thanks so much Jakter for the picture, that was super helpful.

As to the color...the factory color appears to be a teal blue. The door jambs and trunk have not faded and it is a very beautiful color.
My '58 Belvedere has a parking brake warning lamp and so does a friends '57 Belvedere. Those are very likely added by the dealer.

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful information. I've removed those back up lights. Sadly I have 2 big holes to fill now!!

I have a few 'Belvedere' interior pics for you: Yours was probably black and white except if the steering wheel was green/blue then probably a green/white interior.

58ply door with electric switch 3.jpg

58ply door with electric switch 4.jpg

58plydoorpanelred2door3backseat conn..jpg

The hardtop/convertible vs. sedan/wagon door panels were different, on some wagons there were hardtop seat design overlap but not door panels.

58sedandoorpanel.jpg

Thanks to everyone who has posted pictures. As for my car, I got the starter rebuilt and after some confusion with the push button transmission I was able to get the car to start for the very first time last night. The car has not been registered since 1996 and not sure when the last time it was started. I added an oil pressure gauge and at idle and warmed up the oil pressure was between 22 - 25 psi. When I would rev the car up a little it would go up to 45 psi. I'm hoping that is ok for a 318. Usually I like to see a little more oil pressure at idle. This is my first Plymouth engine so not sure if that is normal. This does look to be the original engine. But it was a thrill to hear the car!!!

Don't forget to get some oil in the oil cups on the generator, distributer, and the starter if it has one.
Check the brushes on the generator and don't be surprised if the water pump starts to leak.
Have both rebuilt as opposed to buying rebuilt ones.

I second what W. Weiland said. The pale sky blue with white is really nice and we don't need any more Christines (as cool as Christine is).

I agree with the theory that your car is actually a Belvedere.

This is the kind of car I would buy for myself (if I were in the market). How does it run and drive?

The photo is of my '60 Dart which is a somewhat darker blue with white top. I picked these colors. The car was dull gray when I bought it in 2021.

20220919_161121.jpg

The car is unquestionably a Belvedere, nobody is going to fake a 4-dr sedan, at least not like that. You can contact chrysler historical to get the build sheet which would be cool to have. It looks to me like the original colors were Arctic Turquoise and Iceberg White (On the roof but I can't tell from the pics - it might actually be monotone?) with a Black and White interior. It also seems reasonably well optioned with the silver trim, dual mirrors, dual antennas, parking brake lamp, heater, radio, Jiffy Jet windshield washer, solex glass, torqueflight transmission, power steering and power brakes, and 318 with power pack (4bbl and twin exhaust), (maybe even variable speed wipers?), it's a very good find. The roof rail strips will be found on any 57-58 Belvedere sedan 2 or 4 door sedan will be the same and it looks like your clips are still there at least, those would be hard to come by. Big M might have them. This pic is likely the original color of your car which is an awesome color!

rsz_1picresized_1304743715_0a4bb4848c2bfdb6d316c093c491bbed.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments. Yep, it also has variable wipers and they do work. I do have the roof rail stripes (they came with the car) just have not put them on yet. As for the car, it runs very well. I'm currently having the original radiator rebuilt. I've got almost every piece of trim to finish the exterior thanks to Big M Automotove and SGTFury.

Got the rebuilt radiator back today. Installed it with all new hoses, thermostat etc. I also oiled the generator cup. Started the car and was surprised to see the old generator was charging!! I did install a coolant gauge so I could monitor the engine. I let the car run for about a half hour. It ran, idled and revved well. The car sounds strong. My only concern is after about 30 minutes of running the oil psi at idle was about 15 psi. The engine is not noisy but that seems low. Car was idling around 600-700 rpms. It would go up to about 35 psi if I revved it. The car also has some serious blow by. I'm hoping the rings will seal up with a few heat cycles. The car was sitting for about 27 years before I bought it so I'm hoping the rings will seal. I'm sure it's the original engine and is a little tired. But on the positive side....it starts up easily, idles great and sounds strong.

Got the rebuilt radiator back today. Installed it with all new hoses, thermostat etc. I also oiled the generator cup. Started the car and was surprised to see the old generator was charging!! I did install a coolant gauge so I could monitor the engine. I let the car run for about a half hour. It ran, idled and revved well. The car sounds strong. My only concern is after about 30 minutes of running the oil psi at idle was about 15 psi. The engine is not noisy but that seems low. Car was idling around 600-700 rpms. It would go up to about 35 psi if I revved it. The car also has some serious blow by. I'm hoping the rings will seal up with a few heat cycles. The car was sitting for about 27 years before I bought it so I'm hoping the rings will seal. I'm sure it's the original engine and is a little tired. But on the positive side....it starts up easily, idles great and sounds strong.
I think that you are ok with the oil pressure. The engine may need a new oil pump, but I would go with it for now and learn more as you progress.

How many miles are on the vehicle?
It will take more than a few heat cycles but being able to get some miles on it at various speeds and fresh oil I would expect the blow-by to be reduced.
Just don't expect it to happen right away and decide a full rebuild is needed at this time.
If you're in a warm climate I would use 15/40w diesel oil.

Back