1960 300F

The 300G is a beautiful car and the red one in the above photos comes from a Hemmings blog of 2015 in which many folks who know these cars have weighed in. Among them are Andy V, who is an accomplished student of the letter cars (actually a teacher). You may want to read the comments there.

So now I know that 300C had my car, loved it as I do and parted with it only due to a well above market offer he couldn't refuse. He and I have been in touch - like finding an previously unknown relative.

So 300C and I can take credit for what you see here...more photos.
Dan

Dan, thanks for the compliments, they are well appreciated...to one and all I do say this: There's a lesson or two to be learned from this episode. Yup, I sold the F just 3 days after completing a laundry list of work on the F and getting it on the road. The car was spotted at a local show by a gent of means, he hounded me for three more days, and then, after I called 11 car people & all but one said to sell the F for the "then and now" ridiculous offer made to me. I sold the car; I rolled that money (and more) into fully restoring a 1964 Shriner Imperial Crown convertible. (The Imperial was later featured in the March 2017 AACA Journal and is now, like my 300C, an AACA Senior Grand National winner.) I regretted selling the F from that first day forward and seeing the pix Dan has posted is a sad reminder of my folly....nothing less. I didn't need the money; I didn't want to sell the car but I did and there's no looking back. The upside is meeting Dan here on this great site and knowing that the car has been taken to yet another level of workmanship. Dan knows cars!!! Knowing that the F is in the care of another car nut actually mollifies my regret. Lesson? Don't chase the cash if you like what you have. Dan and I have since chatted a lot and we'll connect as soon as the current health situation calms. We're only a few hours from each other and he has graciously offered me the chance to visit and even drive his F. I did eventually purchase a very beautiful 300G and while I love my G, which drives as well as the F, it doesn't quite have the visual appeal to me that the F does. I think the boomerang tail lights really define those 1960 models. However, I chose the G just because it's something else to appreciate. And driving the G beats driving my 300C for a lot of reasons, though my C, in black, IMHO, is a really sharp look. Bob/300C

View attachment 411908

View attachment 411909

View attachment 411910

View attachment 411911

robndi43 -- but I've since found out they were terribly susceptible to rust. I don't know how they held up on F's.
Joe Godec

Joe, on the Chryslers it's called the Flightsweep Decklid. On the Plymouth it was bolted on top of the standard decklid and would trap water under it and rust. On the Chrysler and Imperial it is molded into the sheetmetal with trim on top. The 300F uses a special hubcap with a drain hole and no valve stem hole. There is a drain in the lid under that hubcap but it's prone to plugging up and they can rust out under the cap.

True 300C. That's why I chose the '61 New Yorker Wagon to re-do 25 years after that grand showing. The wagon was the only one in the '61 fleet to carry over the Boomerang Tail Lite. (and they are not interchangeable with the rest of the 1960 fleet 'cept for the Wagons) I saw my 1st one in the fall if 1960 in a Dealership in Whittier, Ca. and the window sticker on that beauty was ah tad over 5K back then. More then my gross annual at the time? lol, Jer

My '60 New Yorker Town & Country listed for over $6600 with its options. Even the Windsor wagon that year was quite expensive. For 1961 they made the lower wagon the Newport and stripped some standard equipment to get the price down.

True 300C. That's why I chose the '61 New Yorker Wagon to re-do 25 years after that grand showing. The wagon was the only one in the '61 fleet to carry over the Boomerang Tail Lite. (and they are not interchangeable with the rest of the 1960 fleet 'cept for the Wagons) I saw my 1st one in the fall if 1960 in a Dealership in Whittier, Ca. and the window sticker on that beauty was ah tad over 5K back then. More then my gross annual at the time? lol, Jer
The 61 New Yorker wagon is beautiful, any photos of yours?

Dan

The 61 New Yorker wagon is beautiful, any photos of yours?

Dan
Dan, Go to your search window and type in "1961 New Yorker 300G Station Wagon" Pictures come out making it look Black but in reality it's a 50%X50% blend of '93 Viper Green Pearl Coat and Black. The whole world knows the Batwagon. I'll try to post a few pix this afternoon when Our Daughter comes to visit. I don't possess the skills to post 'um. Stand by, Jer

Dan, Go to your search window and type in "1961 New Yorker 300G Station Wagon" Pictures come out making it look Black but in reality it's a 50%X50% blend of '93 Viper Green Pearl Coat and Black. The whole world knows the Batwagon. I'll try to post a few pix this afternoon when Our Daughter comes to visit. I don't possess the skills to post 'um. Stand by, Jer
Very nice, love how they retained the 60 tail lamp lenses on the 61, but then again what else could they do?

Dan

Very nice, love how they retained the 60 tail lamp lenses on the 61, but then again what else could they do?

Dan

They would have had to make totally new major body stampings to make it work and on a low production model it wasn't worth it. Even in 1962 the Chrysler and Dodge wagons ended up with the 1961 Plymouth wagon rear body, which made for awkward body line transitions and mismatches in style. At least in 1963 and 1964 the Chrysler wagons got their own rear section but Dodge carried on with the same one through 1964.

Back