1960 Dodge Dart Pioneer Hardtop Coupe

[QUOTE="60DartChick,
This is technically my first C Body....[/QUOTE]

FYI. A 60 Dart is not a C body. It's referred to as a "forward look, 1955 -1961. :D

Oh, I thought Forward Look just referred to the styling, not the body type....like how our Monaco is a Fuselage and my dads 66 Newport is Slab Side.

No.....All 1955 thru 1961 Mopar cars, no matter what make and model, are the forward look era.
Monaco and Newport are both C body's which began in 1965. Slab side is just a slang term for 1965 thru 1968 C body's. Fuselage is the corporate term for the 1969 and later C body's and refers to the aircraft influence in the styling.

Last edited:
The guy we bought it from definitely loved this car. We could tell he really didn't want it to go, but we promised to keep him updated as we finish it.

The Windsor looks very cool. I'm a sucker for Patina and fins.

Its always good to have a battering ram for a hauler!
We had a close call with a semi going through Memphis on the way home. My husband's driving skills is what saved us from kissing the wall of a bridge or the semi itself. I was more concerned about the car getting damaged than myself in the moment.

I have no idea what the plan for the engine is. @BLIMP likes to buy engines and then find cars to put them in :lol: He could probably let you know if there's anything we need for the Dart....he went over it a little bit when we got home and did notice some mis-matched bolts.

I'm not too concerned with Scott and Wyatt vouching for me, its @Xenon I sometimes question claiming in public :rofl:

The Windsor is a parts car... and please don't take this wrong, but I mostly hate "patina". Around here, every "patina" fan I see does something stupid to car that has paint on it to try to encourage rust. Florida humidity will take those bodies to crap in no time. I have seen a few honest vehicles with faded paint that were cool... but the term patina has been poisoned by the others.

The 60 New Yorker I'm working on will be a pretty car, but paint is the biggest goal right now. I won't be doing a faithful restoration, but I want her to look pretty close to original. 60 Windsors are shorter than New Yorkers, and the difference is in the fenders... so I have some fun fitting and welding ahead of me.

I've read @BLIMP and @Xenon , have had the good(?) fortune of meeting Wyatt and Scott. I always thought Wyatt was a little nuts (and he proved it upon meeting). Scott is a very snappy dresser (you'll have to ask him):rofl: and both are great Mopar folk.:thumbsup: You folks have been overdue to find your way here, heck , we have a member who will likely never buy a C Body, but tosses his collection of every other letter out there once in a while.

BTW... always let the big trucks win... 80k lbs is hard to push around with a 5k lbs car :lol:

How did I miss you picking up the NYer...?
I haven't been very vocal about it... picked up around November and resigned from my job in April... Been amusing myself with other things... but need to get some progress soon.

Scott is a very snappy dresser (you'll have to ask him):rofl:
So much so that, when I started the 2021 CATL two weeks ago, I did not immediately recognize @LocuMob on the parking lot as he was not wearing his trademark bright colors.

Shame on me :( -- all the more so that he had made the loooong drive from Minnesota to Dwight, IL in order to complete the whole CATL Drive! :thumbsup:

So much so that, when I started the 2021 CATL two weeks ago, I did not immediately recognize @LocuMob on the parking lot as he was not wearing his trademark bright colors.

Shame on me :( -- all the more so that he had made the loooong drive from Minnesota to Dwight, IL in order to complete the whole CATL Drive! :thumbsup:

I made fun of him all weekend using phrases I'll leave him to reveal... or not... suffice it to say, I think Scott might have enjoyed working around me back in the shop days... his skin isn't thin and he understands direct speak.

No.....All 1955 thru 1961 Mopar cars, no matter what make and model, are the forward look era.
Monaco and Newport are both C body's which began in 1965. Slab side is just a slang term for 1965 thru 1968 C body's. Fuselage is the corporate term for the 1969 and later C body's and refers to the aircraft influence in the styling.
Very informative. Thank you!

Scott is a very snappy dresser (you'll have to ask him)
I've been told you can see me from space.

I made fun of him all weekend using phrases I'll leave him to reveal... or not... suffice it to say, I think Scott might have enjoyed working around me back in the shop days... his skin isn't thin and he understands direct speak.
I'm a giver and taker of ****, no fun to be all prim and proper when you don't need to be.

Congratulations on bailing on that job you loved sooooo much!

The forward look thread in this C body forum came into place because the larger forward look models are considered the forefathers of the C body's.

Here is a link to a site that is dedicated to "forward look" Mopar's.

Category & forums listing - The Forward Look Network

That makes sense.

I've poked around the Forward Look forum a little bit, but stick to this one so far because I know quite a few members personally.

The Windsor is a parts car... and please don't take this wrong, but I mostly hate "patina". Around here, every "patina" fan I see does something stupid to car that has paint on it to try to encourage rust. Florida humidity will take those bodies to crap in no time. I have seen a few honest vehicles with faded paint that were cool... but the term patina has been poisoned by the others.

The 60 New Yorker I'm working on will be a pretty car, but paint is the biggest goal right now. I won't be doing a faithful restoration, but I want her to look pretty close to original. 60 Windsors are shorter than New Yorkers, and the difference is in the fenders... so I have some fun fitting and welding ahead of me.

I've read @BLIMP and @Xenon , have had the good(?) fortune of meeting Wyatt and Scott. I always thought Wyatt was a little nuts (and he proved it upon meeting). Scott is a very snappy dresser (you'll have to ask him):rofl: and both are great Mopar folk.:thumbsup: You folks have been overdue to find your way here, heck , we have a member who will likely never buy a C Body, but tosses his collection of every other letter out there once in a while.

BTW... always let the big trucks win... 80k lbs is hard to push around with a 5k lbs car :lol:

That would bother me as well if it was intentionally made to rust. We clear coated the heck out of our wagon to prevent any rusting. And that one never goes out in the salt/snow here in Illinois!

I agree Wyatt is a little nuts, but thats probably why my husband and him get along so well lol

Scott is a very snappy dresser. I've had the fortune of meeting him a few times at the C Body show Tim puts on inJune.

Last edited:

Without a bright shirt or the Cicada, I'm sure you weren't the only one to not recognize him right away.
Sorry we missed the CATL, but I'm glad at least one of our vehicles made it with Xenon.

She looks familiar

That has been gnawing at me since I first saw the welcome thread picture... the 2 things that weren't adding up for me was I thought the seller loved this Dart, and I could swear he was fighting with an automatic transmission when we were there.

That's it then... How many 60 Darts and Windsors shared a garage in Meridian MS :lol:

Pic from my ride home... the straps around the car are to assure the front doors and hood stayed put... they latched, but didn't inspire much confidence. She's half apart now, and helping bring my New Yorker back. I only managed to think of taking a picture because I stopped at least a half a dozen times to patch a coolant leak... silly heater hose coupling at the intake pooed the bed and the plastic water control valve started to seep... never cooked her engine, but spent more time along the side of the road than I would have liked.

p.s. the burb looks pretty good since the white paint has been pressure washed away... this side of her wiped out the entire side of a white mini van and opened up the side of an white aluminum F150 while enjoying Orlando traffic and interesting merging techniques. She's been a good battering ram for me since the last benz was totaled in 08... outside of the dealer network, I couldn't bring myself to own something I couldn't get cheap parts for and fix in the driveway. I'll miss her when she finally leaves... but no plans for that anytime soon.
View attachment 488011
I had no interest in the 383 RB engine, and when he offered to keep it and drop the price, I jumped. The $250 he took off the Windsor seemed to me like more than the core was worth. As a curiosity, what are you planning to do with it? My main goal was to get the fenders to patch the front "eyebrows" on mine... the other stuff I'll keep is misc hardware and I have lots of spares now... most of it will available if you or someone else needs it.

BTW, I'm not sure having Scott and Wyatt vouch for you would be wise in most social settings, but two of my favorite folks around here... :poke::rofl:
I gotta ask...how is the Burb at Hauling cars? I live for the day I can pull a car with mine.

I gotta ask...how is the Burb at Hauling cars? I live for the day I can pull a car with mine.
Brakes on the trailer axles, hopefully that's obvious... cheap brake controller added under the dash was a minor PITA to install... factory wiring was in the harness even though mine wasn't factory equipped with a towing package, but the running production changes in the pickups/suburbans of the era required me to find proper wiring diagrams to wire correctly. Properly adjusted and loaded, she has stopped fine, had a great panic stop on I4 with a Formal parts car loaded several years ago... dumbass ahead decided to stop dead and think about life as I was cruising behind at 70... Horn, ABS and trailer brakes all got a function check that time. Be careful not to load the tongue too much or the front end gets light and braking would be severely affected.

I installed the 10k rated hitch shortly after purchase thinking it was the best protection for the fuel tank I could get... so far it has been hit a couple times and the tank hasn't... :lol:.

Congratulations I wish you every success with the project and hope you have a lot of fun with it. I also own a 1960 Dodge Dart Pioneer 2 Door Hardtop and am so pleased to see another one of these great Dodge's being rescued and resurrected as they're a part of MOPAR history.

Hubby is adjusting the valve lash today.

Screenshot_20211003-114529_Gallery.jpg

WHY is Hubby doing it...
It is your car,, YOU do it.....

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Good to see everyone enjoying the playpen... :thumbsup:

@60DartChick , does this car still have the GM FI system on it? I was telling somebody I think @amazinblue82 or @73 T&C about that system... It's not that I love it, but I don't hate it and factory parts availability is way better than expecting an aftermarket company to have compatible replacements for their own systems a decade later.

Back