1961 Belvedere (seattle)...

Will did they really only come with 2spd powerflite I didn't think they recast a trans case that was being discontinued and the /6 only came out the year before.

The ad says 2 speed powerflite but pics show 5 button shifter (N,R,D,2,1) which would be for the 3 speed Torqueflite.

Will did they really only come with 2spd powerflite I didn't think they recast a trans case that was being discontinued and the /6 only came out the year before.

This one looks like it was equipped with a torqueflight, (iron case). but the powerflight was available.
1960 being the first year slant 6 is correct.

This one looks like it was equipped with a torqueflight, (iron case). but the powerflight was available.
1960 being the first year slant 6 is correct.

You never here of a /6 Valiant or Lancer base model with a 2 speed no matter how cheap of car they were. Yes 1960 was first year for /6.

The ad says 2 speed powerflite but pics show 5 button shifter (N,R,D,2,1) which would be for the 3 speed Torqueflite.
My 61 Dodge Dart Seneca had the 3 speed torque flite well as my 60 Desoto Fireflite. I had a 59 Plymouth Belvidere that had the Powerflite in it, so I'm guessing 59 was the last year for it.

I'm guessing 59 was the last year for it.

The Powerflight was introduced in 1954 to replace the Hy-drive, (which still retained a clutch pedal). Powerflight was last used on 1961 Models. It was all Torqueflight, with a new aluminum case, from 1962 0n.

Just brought it home and you are correct. Torqueflite. My first FL and I am very stoked! 61plymouth01.jpg61plymouth.jpg61plymouth02.jpg

61plymouth01.jpg

61plymouth.jpg

61plymouth02.jpg

Nice car, congrats! The ad is gone, is this the car in the ad?

Just brought it home and you are correct. Torqueflite. My first FL and I am very stoked!View attachment 52123

Nice find.....!!!!!! Congradulations on acquiring it.
I can probably help out with any information/questions on 61 Plymouths if need be. There's not a lot of info about these cars out there.

Did it come with any extra headlight trim rings....?

Duwamish Peoples Republic....? Is this where Glutens come from....?

"Duwamish Peoples Republic" could mean Southpark, Delridge, White Center (Rat City) or Tukwila depending. Or somewhere's close. Either way that's a very cool looking car! Love the grill!

Glenn

Way to go Glenn! Someone who knows his historical neighborhoods.

This is a Windsor Ontario built Plymouth so it has the Dodge interior and dash trim. The motor has been replaced and it still retains a generator in lieu of an alternator. Weird.

Back