1961 Chrysler 300G

Joe Sportone

Reaction score
Is it just me or does anyone else wonder how folks think they are going to get this kind of money for a Forward Look jigsaw puzzle? And yeah I know this is a pretty dry project from which to start... I guess you could almost part it out for that much and make your money back. But man, somebody will have to throw in some SERIOUS money to restore this thing. Love these early letter cars.

1961 300G CHRYSLER 2 DOOR HARDTOP
00F0F_8VV6UqrwINj_600x450.jpg

For $10k, you can put it out with your 4-5 other tinkerers, tinker on it occasionally, tell people you own a 300G, and sell it in 10 years for 15.

I wouldn't expect the price to be too much lower on this.

That may be the most solid builder I've seen offered... As much as I like these, they are too expensive for me. I don't care how much he has for it... the parts he doesn't will be expensive. I doubt you could break even doing anything but holding onto it. Shame the engine wasn't stored better. I wonder how much will have to come off the bores to get them clean... if the pics aren't recent it may be a boat anchor by now.

I bought a bunch of big blocks a couple of years ago that were not stored well at all, in fact there was evidence of water lines from the distant past that covered both cylinders at the back on a couple of them(rear of blocks were on the floor). Most were disassembled years ago before storage but they were dry and free to rust. One was assembled and so stuck that it took the guy I sold it too months of soaking in acetone and trans fluid before he could disassemble it. Bottom line, they all cleaned up to .030 and are in service today.

It's the jigsaw puzzle that gets me. The car itself is great. Seems like unless you have another to look at for reference or a really good shop manual, you are gonna be tinkering with that baby for the majority of your adult life.

I bought a bunch of big blocks a couple of years ago that were not stored well at all, in fact there was evidence of water lines from the distant past that covered both cylinders at the back on a couple of them(rear of blocks were on the floor). Most were disassembled years ago before storage but they were dry and free to rust. One was assembled and so stuck that it took the guy I sold it too months of soaking in acetone and trans fluid before he could disassemble it. Bottom line, they all cleaned up to .030 and are in service today.
Bullet proof....

It's the jigsaw puzzle that gets me. The car itself is great. Seems like unless you have another to look at for reference or a really good shop manual, you are gonna be tinkering with that baby for the majority of your adult life.

I bought a 73 charger that was seriously dismantled at 19... it was a learning experience, but between lots of fitting and being able to find junkyard cars for odd missing parts wasn't a bad weekend project. The worst was I started it with the amp gauge shorted and wiring burned up, it was a big education in wiring and diagnostics. Bought my first meter and used jumper wires to test all restored circuits through the horn. Days of WSM and tracing burnt up circuits follow by testing/replacing failed ignition components. All while working in a field. If you're really interested you can do more than you think.

Many of the guys that are into these know how to put it together , what it needs and what goes where

I love letter cars, have a G myself. I might call to see what the Vin is to get the details on the car.

Back