1961 Dodge Dart Pioneer D-500

There were only two manual transmissions (or three IF you include the T85) offered in '61, according to factory literature. The A903 for the /6 and 318 and A745 for the 361/383. Different gearing.

This is the picture I got of the "hump" fabricated for the Chryslers. Were they all like this? Did each assembly line come up with their own design? I do know by '62 there was a more refined hump design.
shifterbracket.jpg
62Hump.jpg

This is the picture I got of the "hump" fabricated for the Chryslers. Were they all like this? Did each assembly line come up with their own design?

Were ANY floor shifts installed at the factory in 1961? I thought they were "over the counter" sales and either installed at the dealer level or by the owner. Perhaps a template was included in the kit. If true than no two will be just alike.

Yes. There were floor shift cars available from Chrysler. As Ian states in that thread it was only because of the astradome. If not for that they would have all been column mount.

If I was going to all the trouble of putting a floor shift in it and I wasn't a stickler for absolute originality which given the floor shift conversion I'm not, I would also be considering a 4 speed transmission.

An NP833OD from an early 80's D100 pickup would be a cheap buy in and the OD would make the car more freeway friendly. The pickup trans has the longer tailshaft like a B or E body and I suspect the 3 speed in yours is a similar length so it should swap in fairly painlessly unless your Ebrake is transmission mounted.

Kevin

"unless your Ebrake is transmission mounted." It is.

I did contemplate a 4 speed but I decided that the concept is more of a "what if they had offered" set up than an up grade. Stop and go kinda sucks without synchros but I don't use it to commute.

"unless your Ebrake is transmission mounted." It is.

I did contemplate a 4 speed but I decided that the concept is more of a "what if they had offered" set up than an up grade. Stop and go kinda sucks without synchros but I don't use it to commute.

Agreed!

Yes. There were floor shift cars available from Chrysler. As Ian states in that thread it was only because of the astradome. If not for that they would have all been column mount.

Dodge and Plymouth did not have the astrodome dash. Unlikely any of them were factory equipped with a floor shift for that reason.

[QUOTE="twostick,
Ebrake is transmission mounted.[/QUOTE]

All 61's, both manual and automatic, were equipped with the tailshaft mounted drum ebrake.

It is extremely important that the E- brake on a 61 is operational. The automatic equipped cars have NO park position and rely on the E-brake to hold the vehicle while stopped and in neutral. With a manual trans one can place the transmission in gear, (usually reverse), to hold it in place but that is still a little risky.

61's came equipped with a wooden wheel chock stored with the spare. It was primarily used when jacking the vehicle, but offered some roll resistance when parked. Usually on flat ground. I have one for my 61 Fury, will post a picture when I find it.

I had a chance awhile back to buy a 61 valiant with factory floor shift for only $400.
Complete with shifter,boot,linkage.
I wasn't sure if shifter was same,so I passed.
Can anybody tell me how different are between valiant and c body?

I had a chance awhile back to buy a 61 valiant with factory floor shift for only $400.
Can anybody tell me how different are between valiant and c body?

Ken,
The shifter mechanism set-up is different between the Valiant and Chrysler models.
In my other post#15 included the page from the 1961 Dodge only parts manual that shows the valiant shifter set-up.

This page is taken from the 1961 mopar parts catalog that includes all models.
Note the inset at the top left of page that shows the shifter set-up for Chrysler models.
Hopefully this will info will be helpful to anyone swapping in a manual floorshift.

61-Manual-Trans-REF-1.jpg.png

I have a 61 pioneer as far as I know anything off a 880 will go straight on,my entire front came off one,had to cut boot lid down though,dunno if they came out with floor shifter,might be something to look into,I put a 440 in mine with floor shifter and the whole handbrake thing is a real pain

Can anybody tell me how different are between valiant and c body?[/Q

Back