1962 Body plate decode

fredmopar

Reaction score
On a 1962 Chrysler 300 Sport, where on the body plate which engine the car came equipped with indicated? Two engines that year, what code designated what engine.

I can’t answer your question personally, but : if you go to the 1961/1962 Chrysler Facebook page post a picture of your data plate and there’s a guy on there that is requesting as many of these as possible to put together consistent decoding. He will know which engine code yours is.

Steve weim55 Colorado

Body Data Plates on pre-1965 Chrysler do not show much chassis information such as engine, AutoPilot, tires, SureGrip as the tags were designed and filled with info for the body line. I have developed and am testing a decoder and I would appreciate the opportunity to decode the Body Data Plate on your '62 Sport. Please post pictures of the Body Data Plate and VIN tag of your car and I'll prepare a report for you, similar to the attachment. N/C. I may have some questions. If you have not looked for a Track Sheet for your car, you ought to do so. They are often found tucked in behind the springs of the rear seat upright cushion. Worth the effort as it will tell almost everything about the car including the engine..

62 300 Sport  Plate.jpg

62 300 2DHT 1-6-24.jpg

69396974_2647071848678641_7326418121902784512_n.jpg

Your work on this decoder has been nothing but exceptional and is desperately needed in the hobby. Thank you.

I do wish you would change the one mischaracterization we've discussed. Repetition of erroneous information only ads to the confusion that already exists in the hobby. It is a minor text change that means a lot.

Association of the term Produced with the VIN.

The VIN is administrative. It is not related to the number of cars produced nor the order of production. A VIN is simply a number assigned to a specific car. (We can count the number of apples in a basket but that does not tell us in what order they were picked.)

1) Research leads to the possibility that blocks of numbers were not simply not even assigned meaning if we don't use a block of, say, 500 VINs that alters the associated VIN assignment compared to production. A car is likely not the XXXth produced at the plant. It may not even be the XXXth VIN assigned.

2) There are instances where US sold and Canada sold cars use a different VIN range. There are instances where car lines start in the 500xxx VIN range. There are instances where out of sequence VINS are assigned (a block of 400xxx VINS for '69 Lynch Road). Associating production with a VIN would drastically overinflate the number of cars made for a certain plant for certain years.

A VIN does not matter to production. As we do more research (see the documentation being accumulated in the "The Last C body Produced" thread) we find more and more supporting evidence this is true.

What you are doing is important. Please keep at it. This is an opportunity to be accurate where others have not.

Totally agree, but there is not room on the single-sheet report for this detail. I'll try to find some hedging words. Latest version of my 300K rag report. Do you have access to a car within the range of my report???

64 300K Barber Conv 3-15-24.jpg

Sorry. The closest I can get is an Imperial. Body 922 with 0924 0017 SO.

Sorry. The closest I can get is an Imperial. Body 922 with 0924 0017 SO.
That looks like a Crown Imp 2DHT. If a 1960-1965 car, I need those pix of Body Data Plate & VIN tag as I am slowly expanding to 1960-1961 cars. VIN tag not critical but enables completion of the report. If not submitted, please advise year of the car. SO & BDY do not tell year of the car.

62 Imp Crown coupe plate.jpg

Back