1962 to 82 Steering box upgrade

Wollfen

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
For those of you who might be interested in upgrading to a more modern unit, check it out.

http://www.streetmusclemag.com/proj...-82-mopar-steering-box-upgrade-with-borgeson/

IMG_0614.jpg
IMG_1005.jpg
IMG_1011.jpg
IMG_1012.jpg

I am running one. No alignment issues. There is a noticeable angle in the steering coupler, but it does not bind or cause any other issues.
I had to increase the wheel caster to 3.5° for the steering wheel to return to center easier (the instructions clearly say this) and even now I am thinking about increasing caster even more so it feels like a modern car.
As I learned, it is preferred to use Borgeson steering coupler since it has rubber vibration damper. Hydraulic valves in this box are much closer to steering shaft than in original box, that causes hydraulic noise transferred through steering column to steering wheel, which acts as amplifier and a slight hissing could be heard. Borgeson says it is normal and their coupler eliminates this.
DSCN9698.JPG

Last edited:
I am running one. No alignment issues. There is a noticeable angle in the steering coupler, but it does not bind or cause any other issues.
I had to increase the wheel caster to 3.5° for the steering wheel to return to center easier (the instructions clearly say this) and even now I am thinking about increasing caster even more so it feels like a modern car.
As I learned, it is preferred to use Borgeson steering coupler since it has rubber vibration damper. Hydraulic valves in this box a much closer to steering shaft than in original box, that causes hydraulic noise transferred through steering column to steering wheel, which acts as amplifier and a slight hissing could be heard. Borgeson says it is normal and their coupler eliminates this.
View attachment 123562
What engine is that in your car?

does the 62-64 chrysler dodge plymouth full size cars use a different type steering then the 65up c bodies ? so 62-64 is not a c body type , only a's n b's .

I know this is an extremely old thread, but I was wondering if anyone could shed more light on this. Such as would this work on a 1964 Chrysler 300k letter car. It was asked above if there is any difference in the 64 and earlier model mopars as opposed to the 65 and up letter designated models such as C-bodies, B-bodies, etc.

Thanks in advanced.

64 300 uses a box that has a fork and blade arraignment. To use the later box I would assume you would need to change the steering column to use the later style coupler The 64 goes thru the base of the firewall and attaches with a fork and blade arrangement directly to the base of the column and a cotter pin secures it.

817-176-2T.jpg

Back