1963 Chrysler 300 disc brake conversion

Stereolab42

Reaction score
Thinking of buying a 1963 Chrysler 300 convertible, but it has manual drum brakes. My first task would be to convert to power disk brakes in the front, so I want to plan that out. Since nobody makes kits for these (at least that fit OEM wheels) it seems I need to do the hard work of planning out each piece by hand. I've read a bunch of threads and need help:
  • 1963-64 Chrysler, Dodge 880 front disc brackets (Scarebird): Allows mounting of disc spindles to stock drum spindles. Seems like an obvious choice.
  • 1977 Chrysler Cordoba rotors: The Scarebird link above recommends these as a fit on their brackets, and as a fit with stock 14" wheels. Sound good?
  • 1989 Caddy Deville Front Calipers: Cardone 18-4194 and Cardone 18-4195. Also recommended by the Scarebird link. Also sound good?
  • Brake booster: I've struck out here. I can't find any specific recommendations for ones that would fit early Cs. (I know I can't just use drum brake boosters.)
  • Master cylinder: Obviously must be dual disc/drum. Would like one that looks Mopar-ish (no giant Wilwood logo or the like).
  • Combination block: Supposedly a single combination block can replace all other valves and blocks? Which one?
Anything else I'm forgetting?

I also read a thread where somebody suggests the brake pedal needs to change also if you go from manual to power. :( However there are some people who are fans of manual disc brakes. It seems like that would be a simpler conversion. Any thoughts there? Seems like that could be a simpler first step, and if it's not enough, I can go with power later on (with just having to add a booster and change the pedal, right?)

A quick look at the Wilwood brakes site reveals that, though they don't have a kit, they work with those who do custom systems and Wilwood can fabricate parts to suit.

I recall they designed and installed a 4 wheel power disc brake system to Jay Leno's 1958 Oldsmobile ( or similar huge heavy car) so they should be able to help you. Call 805 388-1188 to discuss your needs. They say they're always looking to add systems to their catalog, so you and they may help each other.

Best of luck.

A quick look at the Wilwood brakes site reveals that, though they don't have a kit, they work with those who do custom systems and Wilwood can fabricate parts to suit.

I recall they designed and installed a 4 wheel power disc brake system to Jay Leno's 1958 Oldsmobile ( or similar huge heavy car) so they should be able to help you. Call 805 388-1188 to discuss your needs. They say they're always looking to add systems to their catalog, so you and they may help each other.

Best of luck.

It looks like Magnum Force packages Wilwood into a kit for these cars:

Mopar Early Chrysler Dodge Desoto front brake kit for stock Drum Spindle 57-64

Found some tech articles on some 300-specific web sites where people had used this. However, there is a complication... I suspect the reason this car might have come with manual brakes is because it has the cross-ram intakes which might impact clearance. I'm asking the owner to take some pics/measurements. There are options for remote power brake boosters if I absolutely have to, I suppose.

Found some tech articles on some 300-specific web sites where people had used this. However, there is a complication... I suspect the reason this car might have come with manual brakes is because it has the cross-ram intakes which might impact clearance. I'm asking the owner to take some pics/measurements. There are options for remote power brake boosters if I absolutely have to, I suppose.
I'm sure there are various options available, maybe Wilwood technical advisors can assist you? Either way you're sure to have the security of a modern system designed for your car.

Cheers from Christchurch NZ

If this is a cross ram car, a good problem to have, but definitely complicate a disc brake conversion. Give your question time to develop here. There is a wealth of knowledge here and someone will have an answer. If you speak to any of these businesses I would lead with this is a cross ram car, it definitely plays into the conversion. Biggest issue I see is the booster master combination for power brakes.

Side note on list of items, propositioning or better know as a proportioning value

Last edited:
Thinking of buying a 1963 Chrysler 300 convertible, but it has manual drum brakes. My first task would be to convert to power disk brakes in the front, so I want to plan that out. Since nobody makes kits for these (at least that fit OEM wheels) it seems I need to do the hard work of planning out each piece by hand. I've read a bunch of threads and need help:
  • 1963-64 Chrysler, Dodge 880 front disc brackets (Scarebird): Allows mounting of disc spindles to stock drum spindles. Seems like an obvious choice.
  • 1977 Chrysler Cordoba rotors: The Scarebird link above recommends these as a fit on their brackets, and as a fit with stock 14" wheels. Sound good?
  • 1989 Caddy Deville Front Calipers: Cardone 18-4194 and Cardone 18-4195. Also recommended by the Scarebird link. Also sound good?
  • Brake booster: I've struck out here. I can't find any specific recommendations for ones that would fit early Cs. (I know I can't just use drum brake boosters.)
  • Master cylinder: Obviously must be dual disc/drum. Would like one that looks Mopar-ish (no giant Wilwood logo or the like).
  • Combination block: Supposedly a single combination block can replace all other valves and blocks? Which one?

I'm not a fan of the Scarebird stuff. This may be OK, but I've seen some pieces that they build that fit the name "Scare".

Leeds has a kit that claims support for '63 Dodge Polara. Any chance some or all of those components would work here?

Mopar B & E Body Front Disc Brake Conversion Kit, Original 4 Piston

'63 Polara is a B body. I would bet that it won't work with your Chrysler. The GM sourced power booster just doesn't look right and sticks out more than the Chrysler booster. It's all a compromise/universal fit and I'll bet it won't clear the cross ram.

I also read a thread where somebody suggests the brake pedal needs to change also if you go from manual to power. :( However there are some people who are fans of manual disc brakes. It seems like that would be a simpler conversion. Any thoughts there? Seems like that could be a simpler first step, and if it's not enough, I can go with power later on (with just having to add a booster and change the pedal, right?)

I actually watched my Dad change his '63 Newport to power brakes when I was a kid (car was new) and he had to change the pedals...or maybe just the mounting point... I really don't remember the specifics. This was late 1962 so I had just turned 8. But point is that the fulcrum point is different for less travel.

People will disagree with me on this... The drum brake system really isn't too bad on those cars. Yea, discs have advantages, but good working drums will do the job too. Most of the time, when you see people raving about the conversion, their brakes were marginally working to begin with and the conversion fixed some bad mechanical work. That should be an 11" x 3" front brake. Nothing to sneeze at!

If you are not locked into using the original 14" wheels, I can fix you up with a conversion I did on a '63 New Yorker wagon using 99% oem Chrysler parts. PM me a phone number and I can give you the details.

So, the cross ram 300's (63-64) did have power brakes as standard. The booster is located behind the drivers side headlight up in the fender well (great place eh?) It just appears to be manual brakes. A rather unique solution the the problem. Not an issue on the non ram cars though.

A factory FMJ spindle can apparently be coaxed into that application to give you 11.75" rotors if you use 1st gen Cordoba or R body rotors and caliper adapters. Will require 15" wheels.

A stock 5th Ave rotor is 10.97". You MIGHT get a 14" wheel to fit over that. The Kelsey Hayes disc setup used on 60's Abodies used that size rotor with 14" wheels but the 4 piston calipers might have been more compact.

Kevin

So, the cross ram 300's (63-64) did have power brakes as standard. The booster is located behind the drivers side headlight up in the fender well (great place eh?) It just appears to be manual brakes. A rather unique solution the the problem. Not an issue on the non ram cars though.

Wow. I was just browsing the 1963 Chrysler service manual someone had uploaded to a site and came upon a section describing the "C300J remote power brake" that is basically what you described. For some reason I assumed the car I'm looking at wouldn't have it (perhaps because it's a non-letter), but perhaps it does. I will have to ask my inspector to check. This would make my life a lot easier as I'd just leave the drums alone.

Last edited:
Wow. I was just browsing the 1963 Chrysler service manual someone had uploaded to a site and came upon a section describing the "C300J remote power brake" that is basically what you described. For some reason I assumed the car I'm looking at wouldn't have it (perhaps because it's a non-letter), but perhaps it does. I will have to ask my inspector to check. This would make my life a lot easier as I'd just leave the drums alone.

I am rooting for you that it does have the remote booster. These guys know everything here. If it doesn't Murray Park may have one and there are places we can recommend to get it rebuilt in any case.

Here is a guy that rebuilds boosters, many have used, including myself. If the car doesn't have the remote booster give him a call he might be able to help you locate one too.
Power Brake Booster Exchange | Providing Parts for Classic Cars

Last edited:
This will let you download your own copy along with a parts manual. MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - MyMopar Tools/Reference

I had no idea that the booster on a letter car was in a different spot. Now I gotta read up on it... And I don't have a '63!

Just one more reason the letter cars were unique. And it may have manual brakes. Was not uncommon for this "option" to not be checked. But, I'm not sure that you could get the rams on a non letter 300 in 63. In my 50 years of being around the letter cars I've never seen or heard of one. But, stranger things have happened! Certainly a few key things to check. One big item are the removable access panels in the inner fender panels. Don't think the rams would be factory installed without those.

Just one more reason the letter cars were unique. And it may have manual brakes. Was not uncommon for this "option" to not be checked. But, I'm not sure that you could get the rams on a non letter 300 in 63. In my 50 years of being around the letter cars I've never seen or heard of one. But, stranger things have happened! Certainly a few key things to check. One big item are the removable access panels in the inner fender panels. Don't think the rams would be factory installed without those.

I'm getting the picture of the body tag this week. I'm more familiar with fender tags on later Mopars so I'm not sure what I'll be looking at, but I'll do my best to decode it and try to figure out what is original on this car and what isn't. No build sheet unfortunately. The car is meticulously clean (you can eat off the undercarriage) but optimistically priced so its originality would be a big reason I'd be willing to pay. If it's some Frankenstein, even a sexy Frankenstein, I'm not sure I'll go for it. I'm perfectly happy going in a different direction (like a local '71 Charger completely non-numbers-matching for half the price in Go Green -- my favorite color ever -- with a built 440 that needs interior work). But from what I read, the 300J was NOT available as a drop-top in '63, so I can speculate that there might have been some people in that year willing to otherwise pay for letter-car options but were set on a convertible, and who browbeat Chrysler into putting those options on a non-letter 300 vert.

Last edited:
Nope, no remote brake booster. And no body tag. So it looks like a Frankenstein with no verifiable originality. Is it 100% for sure that a non-letter '63 300 would have come with a body tag from the factory? And where exactly would it be? I found one site that insists it's on the door post and that's where I told the owner to look... but now I found another site that says it could be in the engine compartment, sigh.

According to the poormans off chassis restoration site www.tpocr.com/chrybp3.html the 1963 body plate could be under the hood attached to the right or left fender, cowl, or radiator cross member depending on model and assembly plant.

Hope this helps.
Here is the one on my J, every 63 or 64 Chrysler I've ever had was in the same place. I'm not aware of any other locations, but it could be possible.

data tag 002.JPG

Back